Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • cycling in bad weather
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Out this morning for 50 miles on the road bike, bit chilly to start with but just above freezing so no problems with ice. After 20 minutes it started to sleet and snow and continued for the rest of the ride with it getting quite slushy towards the end.

So pretty foul conditions, the sort when if you look out the window at make you want to stay in bed rather than get the bike out…but once out the glow of satisfaction of riding when the weather is shitty is hard to beat. And the dirty little secret is that with right gear on the cold and wet isn’t so bad. But don’t tell anyone that who wimps out when the weather is poor – lessens the MTFU points 😀

fasthaggis

Not long back from our first ride on snowy hills.
    All the gear and half an idea.
    Great morning and fantastic views from the tops.
    The snow even felt quite grippy as it wasn’t that deep,so not much pushing.
    More forecast for tonight 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I just rode home down the Mendip through swamps, slick rocky/rooty singletrack, and the pouring rain. Nice hot shower and another mince pie later and it feels great.

Without the softshell, swamp tyres and dual crudguards it would have been rather less fun.

iainc

decided against driving an hr to trail centre due very icy roads first thing (local trails are a quagmire at mo). Thought I’d venture out for a bracing 25 miles on the road a wee while ago, however after my impersonation of dancing on ice on the pavements I decided the back road loop may not actually be the most sensible idea. 0.7 deg, horizontal snow, cuppa tea and stw 😀

meehaja
    Free Member

when I was commuting I used to often ride home in torrential, freezing cold rain. Once you’ve accepted that you’re going to get wet, and you get used to the spray in your eyes, its kind of fun.

I also enjoy riding in snow, though 2 doses of hypothermia and one case of frostbite in my thumb tip suggests I probably ned to dress better!

donsimon
    Free Member

Just come back from a cold, wet and windy ride that was freezing yet surprisingly enjoyable. The problem was the arrival at home, possibly one of the most painful experiences of my life, both fingers and toes were incredibly painful. Horrible, simply horrible.

warton
    Free Member

talking about the right gear, bought a pair of these, first ride today. it was 2/3 C and my hands were toasty as anything, very impressed!

Castelli gloves

yunki
    Free Member

both fingers and toes were incredibly painful. Horrible, simply horrible.

😯

hmm.. disregarding your apparent shortage of digits, a nice hot shower always serves to relieve that particular pain.. 😉

carlos
    Free Member

Been out round Llandegla today, bit of a cutting breeze on the first climb, but the rest was pretty well sheltered.Quite quiet too for a Sunday, only saw about 8 others out on the trails. It really peed it down as we were getting a brew so glad we were done and not one of those just setting out.

Loved the new bits too 🙂

Duggan

Was out yesterday round Marple Bridge and Werneth Lowe way. Got absolutely soaked, not gonna lie it would have been ten times better if it had been dry.

crazy-legs

I detest actually starting out in rain but if I’m already out then it’s usually OK so long as you’re reasonably well equipped and can stay warm. Earlier in the year I commuted home through a proper biblical downpour, the sort that turns the roads into rivers in seconds and it was surprisingly good fun. Gets to the point where you can just laugh at the stupidity of it all!

postierich
    Free Member

Grim conditions today riding around Grizedale with one buddie bailing due to not being correctly dressed Goretex boots and porrelle socks saved my toes and waterproof shorts.

darrell
    Free Member

i put some Schwalbe Ice Spiker tyres on to an old bike this afternoon ready for the winter commuting duties. Road bike has been put in to hibernation. and the first snow is due tomorrow.
    the weather up here in the arctic is utter gash

xcneil
    Free Member

Wont go near the road when it gets to cold (like now)as i dont like being cold one bit, so in the week turbo time and mtb ride or cx race on sunday this is my opinion of course and what works for me

druidh
    Free Member
    anto164
    Free Member

The hardest part is the first 5 minutes of a ride.

As soon as you’re wet but warm, you don’t care. I went on a ride yesterday where the heavens were well and truly open when i left the house. Awesome ride (and also it turned into gorgeous weather).

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Sean Kelly on being asked on what impact the Irish winter rain had on his training answered that he always rode and only after a couple of hours would he decide what the weather was doing.

lucien

“No such thing as bad weather only a bad choice in clothing” so I think the saying goes

bland

Im just going to be honest and say that being in the peaks today just wouldnt have been fun, persistant rain and freezing conditions, coupled with a decent wind.

Maybe im a wimp but im glad i was out yesterday

stucol
    Free Member

Road bike this morning to the south of Glasgow.

Got peeped at by a motorist for riding on the road instead of the A77 bike route. The divvy had obviously not noticed it had a coating of ice !

1st blizzard at Kilmaurs, Lovely.

8 miles of snow covered road after Stewarton followed by another wet blizzard. All dealt with on 23c tyres.

Max temp of 3c and did have cold toes and legs when i got home.

But i did get out !!

paul4stones

Out yesterday in driving rain/sleet on Blanchland common – the best bit was arriving at Slaley Hall (posh) soaked and mud splattered and standing in the queue to check in 🙂 Nice warm shower quick please!

BadlyWiredDog

stoney
    Free Member

Just done roughly 10-12 miles in the north lakes…Very wintery, very wet and extreemly muddy……Post ride beer ( it`s the law ), 4 pints in, food via the take out on the way home, Hot Shower and all is good. 😆

Its good to get out, even if its a short 1.

+ i can still type after 4 pints of Stella! 😉

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member
    Sean Kelly on being asked on what impact the Irish winter rain had on his training answered that he always rode and only after a couple of hours would he decide what the weather was doing.

😆

Kelly was frickin nails

kelly, lemond , fignon , rain, worlds – awesome

RoterStern
    Free Member

As already mentioned having the right gear clothing wise really does make the difference on the enjoyment factor in inclement weather. I was out for three hours in pouring cold rain this morning. I have a very nice water resistant softshell jacket as well as winter boots and water resistant wind proof tights and warm gloves. On top of this I have put the mudguards back on my cross bike. The only negative was the horrible headwind that made riding along a flat road seem like Alpe d’Heuz.

donsimon
    Free Member

As already mentioned having the right gear clothing wise really does make the difference on the enjoyment factor in inclement weather

So you’re not really riding in the inclement weather, are you? Not with all that protection…

iainc

stucol – your ride description reinforces my wimpish decision to stay at home in East Kilbride !

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘cycling in bad weather’ is closed to new replies.