Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycling in and around Cape Town
  • triguy100
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of mtb trails in the Cape Town area? Am likely to be there for a couple of weeks later next month and would really like to get out on the bike. Looking at Trailforks there seems to be a decent network but I can’t seem to find a huge amount of information about the cycling there. Any tips, suggestions gratefully received.

grizedaleforest

There’s fab mtb trails on Table Mountain itself and nearby. Security is an issue so best to hook up with some locals. This is the website to go to https://www.tablemountainbikers.co.za/ – great bunch of people who’ll happily help or invite you on daily rides.

franksinatra

Security is an issue

Yep, unfortunately it is the people meant to be providing the security who are the problem as Nicholas Dlamini found out the hard way

grizedaleforest

as Nicholas Dlamini found out the hard way

Yes, that was pretty shocking. Last I’d heard was that the national park were taking action?

kilo

Security is an issue we bumped into a local when were out of a gentle spin and rode up around Rhodes memorial area and he was saying just riding with a couple of others made him feel safer about what is a fairly popular area.
    If you’re there for a few weeks Cape Velo might be worth a shout. Jamie is a top bloke, used him three or fours years in a row, and Iirc STW reviewed them as well. Local riders have always been very friendly and, apart from the security issues it’s great for riding (codicil no way would I ever ride on the road other than to go from trail to trail there)

happybiker
    Free Member

Find a local group to join up for a few rides, Tokai Forest has good trails, Grabouw is lovely too.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I loved Tokai Forest when I went. Lot’s of opportunity to pedal up on fire roads etc, and then pick a trail on the way down. I think I rode there every day for a week! There’s some nicely techie trails..

Watch out for the baboons though…

triguy100
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice folks, appreciate it. Like the sound of the trails, hopefully no security issues. Will look up Cape Velo and Tokai looks like a fun place to ride. Likely to get at least 7 days of cycling and will have access to a car so will do some exploring.

thedude
    Free Member

If you got time go to jonkershoek in stellenbosch. We ride there often and it’s fantastic.There are many videos on YouTube of the trails to give you an idea of what’s on offer. It’s about 45 min drive from Cape Town.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in and around Cape Town’ is closed to new replies.