Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cycling apps with live tracking?
  • psychotext
    Free Member

The missus is on a cycle ride this weekend (sadly she doesn’t do many) but we’re going to be tight on time so if she takes too long I’m going to have to find her / pick her up. Usually I use Strava for tracking rides etc, but in this case it would be useful to have something that reports position online fairly regularly so I can monitor her progress / work out a good place to meet her if required.

Anyone know any apps that do this? Supposedly Map my Ride MVP and Endomondo Pro do, but ideally I’d like to avoid having to pay for what will essentially amount to a single use.

If I had to pay… which of these apps is generally considered best? Thanks. 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

I thought Endomondo free did this, have they stopped that now?

nemesis
    Free Member

Everytrail does it.

I think that the Google tracks app does too.

scotroutes

+1

jambalaya
    Free Member

Endomondo free certainly used to (even if you have to pay its hardly a fortune)

riddoch

Garmin fit let’s you do it but they charge for it.
    isn’t this the ideal excuse to buy a edge 510/810/1000?

jam-bo

built into iOS with find my friends app. i’m sure there will be a android equivalent.

GrahamS

Find My iPhone? Or Find My Friends?

That’s what my missus uses to know when to put my tea on 😀

Edit: beaten to it.

psychotext
    Free Member

Sorry, should have specified, whilst she has an iOS device, I don’t… which means Find my Friends is out. Tracking has to be visible via a website.

Endomondo’s website seems to indicate that tracking is only available with pro. It’s cheap enough though. I assume given the number of people mentioning it, the app works fairly well?

Edit – Some awful reviews on the latest version of the pro app.

Though reading this it seems that it is indeed supported by the free app: https://www.endomondo.com/features

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry, should have specified, whilst she has an iOS device, I don’t… which means Find my Friends is out. Tracking has to be visible via a website.

You can sign into her iCloud account on any device and use Find my iPhone on there.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

^^^what Jambo said. I stalk my missus all the time this way, and my kids for that matter. But Endomondo does it too, see here: https://www.endomondo.com/features

psychotext
    Free Member

Just found that same link funnily enough. Will give it a trial run tomorrow. Thanks. 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

Life360 app does it on Android….

GrahamS

https://www.icloud.com/#find

You just need her Apple ID and password.

arewethereyet
    Free Member

Glympse does it. I use it on Android.

eskay

riddoch – Member

Garmin fit let’s you do it but they charge for it.

You still need a smart phone though to use that feature on an edge.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Yea, Glympse is good.

mattrgee
    Free Member

FollowMee.

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

Came accross a really interesting one when looking at routes a while ago , not sure if this is is but looks good has live tracking and used by mountain rescue http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/features

andyr
    Free Member

I use Real Time GPS Tracker on my android phone when I’m out on the bike on my own so the Mrs know where I am in case the worst happens. Needs a phone signal to send your position out though (like all of them).

Seems pretty good so far.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Worked on my wife when I changed from a 800 to a 810 😉

welshfarmer

Am I missing something? Why can’t she use a normal mapping app and text you a grid reference?

binzo
    Free Member

The buddy beacon on viewranger is great I use it when I go out on my own so my wife can see where I am

ampthill

book marked

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

OsmAnd with Osmo or if you want you can have the autonomy of building your own website and displaying your location there like I have.

psychotext
    Free Member

Am I missing something? Why can’t she use a normal mapping app and text you a grid reference?

Because I want to be able to predict where she’ll be / see how she’s going… not know where she is. Nor did I want her to have to worry about it, just to get on with the cycling.

Anyway, Endomondo worked very well indeed. The only issue is that for whatever reason it doesn’t support speed / cadence sensors (bluetooth smart) even though the iPhone does. Thanks to all that suggested it.

Might see if Map My Ride / Runkeeper will store that data as it would be nice to have for future rides. At least for later analysis anyway.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cycling apps with live tracking?’ is closed to new replies.