Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cycle to Work – which £1000 cyclo cross bike?
  • Mintyjim

I’ve got opinions coming out of every orifice on mountain bikes but only a rudimentary knowledge on road/cross bikes.

We’ve finally got CTW at work so I’m going to take advantage.

I won’t be trying them out because our deal is with Cycle Solutions (aka Wheelies) so I’ll get something without a test ride.

Going cyclo rather than road because it’ll do some forest trails and the roads around here (coastal Ceredigion) are battered.

Based upon bang for buck spec I like the following bikes:

Giant TCX SLR2
    https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p84055/giant-tcx-slr-2-2016-cyclocross-bike

and

Merida Cyclo Cross 500

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p81910/merida-cyclo-cross-500–2016-cyclocross-bike

I prefer the looks of the Merida, being superficial, but wonder if I’m missing anything off the Wheelies site. I’d prefer 22 speed and TRP brakes…

Thanks!

tmb467
    Free Member

I’d look at the Revolt 1 as well – only Tiagra instead of 105 but you get a threaded BB and a more comfortable geometry, plus cartridge bearing wheels instead of the cup n cone ones on the cheaper giant hubs

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

CX bikes can be more uncomfortable than road bikes, mine is for sure. I’d have a look at a more ‘adventure’ type bike.

Mintyjim

that Revolt is ahem, pretty revolting (boom boom) not that it matters of course…

I’m OK with cup n cone hubs, but cartridge is a little easier.

What’s an adventure bike?? Hybrid?

j40aja
    Free Member

I have the Merida you’ve linked to above and it’s a lovely bike, lots of nice details especially the shapes of the tubing.
    I use mine as a bad weather/winter road bike to keep my carbon Defy for good days.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What’s an adventure bike?? Hybrid?

Please don’t make me say Gravel…

AArrgghhhh!

😆

Like this frinstance – Here

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Nobeer said, CX frames are designed for 1 hour races, stood up, off road, in soft mud. The sometimes don’t even have bottle cage mount (makes carrying uncomfortable), no mudguard eyelets, pannier mounts, etc.

OTOH a lot of CX bikes are really just what would have been called a tourer 10 years ago. But it’s now CX/Gravel/Adventure. Although again some ‘gravel’ bikes are drop bared MTB’s, some are CX bikes, with road geometry and no mud clearance designed for doing huge distances on American gravel roads.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Can Wheelies source from other stores?

Are you specifically looking for a dropped bar CX/adventure, or are flat bar hybrids an option?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

The wife has the 2015 version (I think) of the Merida that you’ve linked to, and it’s a lovely bike.

I think I may use my next CtW voucher on exactly the same to use as a winter road bike.

Edit: To answer a point above, it’s got a full set of mudguard eyelets

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’ve got the Merida well the model below the 300 it’s a belting bit of kit. Great on the road, great on light trails. It’s comfortable and rides wel.
    Binned the continental tyres it came with they were rubbish. Schwalbe cx comps fitted are brilliant.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Can Wheelies source from other stores?

When they were launching the scheme at our place a few years ago (we were with Cyclescheme before) they claimed to be able to get anything, as far as I know it was just hot air.

I’ve had two CX bikes on Cyclescheme the first one (Orbea igorre) was more of a CX race bike and as such was pretty unpleasant to ride offroad where I normally ride on the Quantocks, awful canti brakes, harsh ride and nasty toe overlap. The second (Whyte Saxon Cross) is much more forgiving and a pleasure to ride.

dave661350

I did this on CTW 2 years ago and got a Cannondale CAADx 105. It is superb. If I had to pick just 1 of my bikes as a keeper, it’d be this. Its the bike I grab to go out for an hour or two. Great spec for £1k…unbelievable for the £670 ish I actually paid

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I have an old TCX SLR2.
    Great bike!
    I do race it mind but does get used for mucking about off road.
    Two sets of bottle bosses and an adaptor to fit a rack are included.
    Very comfortable with the flexible carbon post and the lightest alloy frame at that price.
    The brakes are very good if looked after.
    Cables etc.
    Ultimately there is no replacement for a good hydraulic system.
    Just converted mine to RS685.
    Recently converted to road gearing and tyres and it makes a good road machine too!
    Max

ryyyw
    Free Member

tried to get onto my cycle scheme at work (sainsburys). wanted a bike worth £1500. Paid the bike company the top up fee, and ended up getting declined because of national minimum wage. I’m far from national min! must be a typo. asked them to sort it out, sick of waiting. would rather ask a relative to get a decent bike on finance as my credit is shoddy.

overall, the cycle scheme is a cracking idea, IF your HR department aren’t static technologically challenged mongoloids.

bensales
    Free Member

I’d be on this, purely because my SuperX is awesome.

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p79893/cannondale-caadx-105-2016-cyclocross-bike

badgerbater
    Free Member

I managed to get a TCX SLR1 discounted to £999 as it was the 2015 model. The frame is wonderfully complyant for an ally frame, especially with the composite D post. Although pushed as a CX bike, the geometry is similar to so called “adventure” bikes. Just completed a bikepacking tour of the Ridgeway and the bike has been faultless. As said above, you can even mount a rack if so inclined. Take a closer look at the frame (made in the Netherlands), with loads of mud clearance. I love mine!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Giant anyroad

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to Work – which £1000 cyclo cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.