Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycle to work – tourer…
  • garage-dweller

Anyone had a Dawes Karakoram or Galaxy from recent years?

Thinking I might get one or other through c2w because as much as I like my cheap road bike its too brutal and head down for 16-17 miles of extra urban and suburban stuff. I would prefer some comfort and to.keep my head up a bit more if I am then doing a day in the office.

Need to decide by weds lunchtime as scheme closes for the year on thursday.

Only other thing I saw was the specialized tricross.

The non commuting use would be utility and family riding with child seat or ran trailer so need something stable.

miner29er
    Free Member

If it’s a 33-ish mile round trip day in day out and in all weathers you need a bit of comfort. If it’s only half that distance – say a 45-minute commute then comfort’s not that critical. Either way, I’d recommend not going down the C2W route. Buy an old rigid mtb, fit some decent 1.5″ commuting tyres. Vee brakes will be fine for commuting. You’ll end up with a reliable workhorse, the more upright position, and money in your pocket for everyday maintenance. It’ll also satisfy your non-commuting requirements.

miner29er
    Free Member

^ Oh, I forgot to mention… and the theiving scroats won’t give it a second glance when it’s parked next to all that shiny new stuff.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

theres plenty of very good pre loved bikes for sale. Real bargins check your local adverts and cycle club

garage-dweller

Wont be every day for me. I have to drive on average 2 – 3 days a week due to meetings out of the office.

Idea is to ride whenever i can with probably more in the summer. 2nd hand is not a bad ploy if I could find something suitable for sensible money. I have an old muddy fox hybrid but it has awful toe overlap and is horrendous round town and its hi ten steel so.filling removing too!

CTC classifieds a good starting point or somewhere else?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I know I keep banging on about Salsa Vayas, but I love mine to bits… Quite possibly the most comfortable bike I’ve ridden in ages…

And this is a bargin!

Clicky thingy…

Love mine!

mudshark
    Free Member

I have a Dawes Ultra Galaxy from 2 or 3 years ago. Really enjoy riding it on long trips, very stable when laden, comfortable and feels great to ride. Not sure I’d bother with one though if it wasn’t going to be used for touring.

rockhopperbike

Had a Kona Sutra for a few years – was heavy but seemed okay to me, Avid cable disks lasted for ages between pad changes- comes with rack and full guards as standard

tinribz
    Free Member

I’d prefer a Jamis over a Dawes, but probably a Vaya over that unless it was heavier touring. A LHT has to be on the list too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to work – tourer…’ is closed to new replies.