Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cycle to work scheme:??
  • mooman
    Free Member

Looking at getting some wheels for summer – and wife mentioned her employer (NHS) does the cycle to work type scheme.
    What I would like to know is; does the scheme still cover wheels (I knew somebody who purchased wheels on it a couple years ago) … and what is the overall saving?

Thanks.

codybrennan
    Free Member

1)No.

2)https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/calculator

codybrennan
    Free Member

*1)If you can persuade a shop to do it then I suppose, yes- but they’re not meant to. HTH.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoreCashThanDash

Shops will help sneak stuff through if they can. 😉

They can’t sneak stuff through if your employer is HMRC 👿

Using the scheme to get stuff you shouldn’t get on the scheme is tax evasion/avoidance.

Fwiw I’ve heard some shocking tales of what has been waved through on the NHS scheme, and have then had to explain to quite senior HMRC colleagues that they would be unwise to try and get the same through our scheme. **** stupid **** some of them.

codybrennan
    Free Member

+1 MCTD. Also, Halfords are about the strictest when it comes to implementing the scheme, I’ve found.

mooman, could you go through a company like Planet X, build a bike with incredible wheels?

mooman
    Free Member

Thanks all. Did think it sounded bit too good/easy.

Ta

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Halfords are about the strictest when it comes to implementing the scheme

Not in my friend’s experience.

His 5’4″ missus was in Halfords buying a large Boardman hybrid.

Shoppie: This big is too big for you.
    Her: Nah, it’ll be fine.
    Shoppie: Are you sure this bike is for you?
    Her: Yes, of course. Well it has to be doesn’t it?
    Shoppie: No not really, we sold two kids bikes on the C2W last week.

Cue 6 foot bloke coming across from the nearby shelves where he was pretending to peruse bike lights.

Cletus
    Free Member

My company uses Wheelies so it is effectively mail order and there was not flexibility when I ordered.

I am not sure about the NHS but you may be limited to which suppliers you can use.

Drac

NHS is trust dependant on the scheme they use, it also goes down to the shop to what they’ll let you do nothing to do with the employer.

belugabob
    Free Member

You guys probably complained about the MP’s expenses – shameful that you should be discussing equally unethical practice’s (on a public forum)

nickjb
    Free Member

Why not just pick something up in the sales? Probably cheaper and no tax fraud required.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

hameful that you should be discussing equally unethical practice’s

Illegal maybe, unethical no.

C2W is allegedly to encourage people to cycle to work. This mate of mine cycles around 3000 miles a year to work and back, but the companies he worked for never offered C2W. He got one via his burd and has done thousand of miles on it getting to work and back.

What’s unethical about that?

Drac

Why not just pick something up in the sales? Probably cheaper and no tax fraud required.

Or pick something up in the sales on the scheme and no tax fraud.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Our company uses Wheelies/Cyclesolutions and really didn’t like their choices and/or need another bike so I bought one of these as I’ve got just enough time to do one more scheme before I retire.

belugabob
    Free Member

Illegal maybe, unethical no.
    C2W is allegedly to encourage people to cycle to work. This mate of mine cycles around 3000 miles a year to work and back, but the companies he worked for never offered C2W. He got one via his burd and has done thousand of miles on it getting to work and back.
    What’s unethical about that?

Well, his company is kind of unethical for not offering the scheme.
    His girlfriend is unethical for using HER C2W scheme to buy a bike for HIM.
    You’re unethical for not thinking that they are not unethical.

I’m sure that loads of people use the C2W scheme in the manner for which it was intended, but there are also a significant number who really are taking the Mickey.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Part of the agreement I signed said that at least 50% of the items use had to be work related and the bike had to be a suitable size for me (so no kids/XL bikes). I can’t see me using the trailer before the end of the hire period anyway so 50% of 0 is still 0. 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to work scheme:??’ is closed to new replies.