Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cycle to Work – Getting another bike?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Our cycle to work scheme window has reopened (March and September). I got a bike in the September window last year and was wondering if anybody had experience of getting more than one bike at seperate times on a cycle to work scheme.

Any advice welcome

Cheers

Ken

allthepies
    Free Member

Taking the piss no ?

nbt

At our place the scheme's open year round, but you can only have one bike at a time.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My understanding of our scheme is that I can only have a new bike after 3 years has passed 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

Your HR/payroll department is unlikely to care, ask them about it.

Or just apply and wait to see if they try to stop you.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Our scheme allows you to get one bike per year. A couple of colleagues are onto their 2nd bike through the scheme.

The most recent one had been commuting at least a couple of days per week on the mountain bike he got first, and the 2nd bike (just over a year after the first) is going to be a cyclecross bike which will almost exclusively be used for commuting. All that sounds well within the spirit of the scheme to me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Given the bike must be used "mainly for journeys to work" (IIRC) it seems to me you could buy as many as you like as long as that's how you use them.

No doubt druidh will issue an edict shortly.

ken_shields
    Free Member

all the pies

Why would I be taking the piss? It's a perfectly valid question

druidh
    Free Member

Glad to see you acknowledging my authority in these matters Al.

From the (freely available) DfT guidelines…

It is possible to loan two cycles to one employee if, for example, that employee needed a cycle at either end of a train journey between their home and place of work.

and, of course

more than 50% of use of the cycle and safety equipment must involve a qualifying journey.

So – no reason you couldn't have two bikes on the scheme. Ride each of them twice a week to and from work and you've covered to ride them both at the weekend.

rootes1

as long as your employer allows it you can get another as long as the hire period for the existing bike has finished

druidh
    Free Member

rootes1 – Member
    as long as your employer allows it you can get another as long as the hire period for the existing bike has finished

That restriction is not suggested in the DfT guidelines. It is more likely to be in the hands of the employer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It was more a reference to your assumption of authority.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Hadn't been intending getting a 2nd bike-to-work bike myself but I've just received an email from Cotic describing a hydro-disk braked, Alfined RoadRat for under £1000…

rootes1

rootes1 – Member

That restriction is not suggested in the DfT guidelines. It is more likely to be in the hands of the employer.

true not explicitly stated, but if you had already maxed out at say £1000 on the first bike, you could not get another whilst the hire of the first bike is still ongoing as it was take the value of hired equipment beyond £1000 (employer could have a higher limit with credit licence).

you could get two bikes if the total value was less that your schemes limit.

druidh
    Free Member

The £1,000 figure relates to each loan. There does not seem to be any restriction on having more than one loan per employee (at least not that I can find).

CHB

My employer prefers individuals to leave 2 or 3 years between bikes.
    I think this is sensible.

rootes1

The £1,000 figure relates to each loan. There does not seem to be any restriction on having more than one loan per employee (at least not that I can find).

true, – HMRC might take exception to two lots of salary sacrifice

so yes probably main control is how the employer has ste the scheme up.

ours is sacrifice for 12, hire for 18 months, not alloed to apply again until the pevious hire period has expired.

though getting another bike so quickly really does seem to be out of the spirit of the scheme

– not that that seems to stop people getting full sus that they never use to get to work.. grr

BoardinBob

My employer prefers individuals to leave 2 or 3 years between bikes.
    I think this is sensible.

Tell that to Ton

Pippalarge
    Free Member

I've just got my second – approx 12 months since salary sacrifice finished on lst one – it's on a company administered scheme and our accountant cleared it with HMRC – no issues i'm told.

ken_shields
    Free Member

S'pose I ought to wait for the payment period to be up on the 1st one although I have just moved offices into London so could commute from Euston to the new office 😀

This is starting to sound like a plan

Anybody recommend a cool folding bike to take on the train?

rootes1

only sensible choice is a Brompton

druidh
    Free Member

ken_shields – Member

An Oxymoron Shirley?

chakaping
    Free Member

An Oxymoron Shirley

Never even heard of Oxymoron Bikes, and surely something called a "Shirley" will have pink tassles on the bars and a basket?

Doesn't sound very cool to me.

rootes1

p if you have never own a Brompton – it is easy to be scepticle, but once you have one they are a relevation – i use mine every day, lots of benefits that are not immeadiatly obvious

druidh
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to Work – Getting another bike?’ is closed to new replies.