Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Cycle to Work Day… this Thursday!
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

Started a new job and just finished rebuilding a hard tail for commuting and other duties. I’ve been building up the courage (if that’s the right word) to get up early and cycle to work . Then I see there’s a “Cycle to Work day” this Thursday 4th Sept and have just “pledged” 18 miles for the cause (9 miles each way); just the boost I needed to start my commute! How may others have made the pledge?

miketually
    Free Member

Every working day is bike to work day, though it’s only 2.5 miles each way for me.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well I’ll be cycling to work on thursday if that’s what you mean.

badgerbater
    Free Member

This is the the official website giving details, etc.: http://www.cycletoworkday.org

Lifer
    Free Member

Pledged.

aP
    Free Member

No, I cycle most days anyway. Have done for 20 years, I can’t imagine ever driving to work, or wanting to.

DezB
    Free Member

How may others have made the pledge?

I have. Don’t ride every day, but have pledged a longer ride for Thurs.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m in 2 minds about this. It’s good they’re promoting it, but I can’t help wondering whether making it into some big deal you have to pledge to complete makes it seem more like some charity challenge, and less like something normal people would just do all the time anyway.

jonba
    Free Member

I also cycle to work virtually every day. Except this thursday when I can’t.

Lifer
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member

I’m in 2 minds about this. It’s good they’re promoting it, but I can’t help wondering whether making it into some big deal you have to pledge to complete makes it seem more like some charity challenge, and less like something normal people would just do all the time anyway.

I think the pledge means that people will feel a little more obligated to do it, and then when they do it (hopefully) see how nice it is.

Also helps with the money saved/CO2 stats on the website (however accurate they may be).

chvck
    Free Member

I work from home but I could ride down my stairs, I suspect it might go badly on my road bike though!

DezB
    Free Member

and less like something normal people would just do all the time anyway.

Don’t you go calling us “normal” pal!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well I’ve pledged my 20 miles on there, it did strike me as a bit strange to be adding it when I’d do it anyway: not really a saving there.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

The one day that I can’t ride in they set up a Cycle to Work Day. Grumble, grumble.

toby1

A work day is a cycle to work day, this mornings was particularly lovely, so I cycled with my wife to her place of work, cycled back home then turned round and cycled back to my office. I’d passed it twice already by the time I got here, but longer ride in is better than getting to work early.

It’s good to convince more people it’s an achievable goal.

Part of me hopes I don’t get the new job I’m going for as it’d mean driving to work, or a 32 mile bike commute each way!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Pledged my usual 30 miles for the record and also asked if anybody here at work is doing it using the work chatter app. No replies yet. Hmmm. they have a drying room/bike lock up/showers and still people drive in, sigh.

scaled
    Free Member

Well, I work from home on Thursdays – I can’t even get up at 4am and go for a fake commute as I’m on the school run.

Maybe an hour at lunchtime will suffice

miketually
    Free Member

This morning was the first day with most of the local schools back, so the queues of traffic that I cycles past were much longer than the last few weeks. I got to work in exactly the same time as normal.

I pity people who don’t ride or walk to work.

kimbers

I am unemployed 🙁

Ill probably cycle down to gregs though

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ill probably cycle down to gregs though

On the pavement with tracky bottoms tucked into socks I hope?

andyl
    Free Member

In contrast I had an eerie commute in today at 9.45. I either get in before 7.30 or after 9 but I still expect some traffic but Bristol was quite quiet and loads of parking. Odd.

I’ll make sure I avoid commuter time on Thursday just in case Bristol is flooded with cyclists who don’t normally ride and we end up with chaos! I would join them but sadly the distance and stuff I have to carry (including the dog) make it impossible. I’ll work from home and do a lap of the mendips back to the house in the morning 😀

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I work from home but I could ride down my stairs, I suspect it might go badly on my road bike though!

Not half so badly as your return journey me thinks.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh man, it’s like a revolution out there!! Couldn’t believe how many cyclists there were!! Maybe 2 extra from what I normally see!
    doesn’t really work this “National Cycle to Work day”, does it?

There did seem to be less cars about, so maybe all those cyclists were just on different roads to me…

lunge

I rode in, as I do most Thursday. There were a few extra people on bikes around and the train (I ride half way in the morning and all the way back in the evening) had more bikes than normal.

tootallpaul

I pledged and rode. No more bikes in the bike shed than normal though…

Lifer
    Free Member

Yep didn’t see anymore than normal. Shame.

Although I did very nearly get taken out by a taxi eager to hit the queue of traffic the other side of the roundabout before me.

MoreCashThanDash

Only place I’ve seen or read about it is this thread, possibly the revolution didn’t start this morning.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Most days are cycle to work days for me. Can’t say I saw that many extra cyclists even though there were road signs warning drivers (!). Shame they’re not reminded to watch for cyclists every day…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If anything I saw fewer cyclists this morning! But since the only places I’ve seen it promoted have been cycling websites I suppose that’s not all that surprising.

m360
    Free Member

I’ve got the day off today, should I cycle to work and back anyway? Don’t know what to do 😕 Feel like I’m letting the side down by not cycling in to work today, but it’s my only day off and work won’t be expected. I’m confused. Help.

🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Only place I’ve seen or read about it is this thread

It was on BBC Breakfast this morning. You know, this morning: the same day as it was happening…

richmtb

It felt like “national don’t cycle to work day” today.

Normally I have to sit about in sweaty cycling gear until about 9:30 to use the office shower. Today I think only one other person cycled in.

Is promoting it only on cycling websites not preaching to the choir?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Our bike shed was full this morning but it’s been getting busier all week anyway.

They should have it in the middle of february, might as well make it a challenge…

dragon
    Free Member

Only day I won’t be cycling in this week, as I’ve got football tonight.

TBH I hadn’t heard a thing about it, until someone in my office asked me why I hadn’t cycled on National Cycle to Work Day.

toby1

Fewer cyclists than usual aside from all the local school kids who just provide moving obstacles to work round on the guided busway. Today’s attempt at causing a crash between 3 girls – throwing a handbag from one bike into anothers basket and missing leading to them all stopping and an instant roadblock.

fathomer

Ironically, today is the first day in three weeks I haven’t cycled in 😀

teamslug
    Free Member

I came in van this morning..too many bloody bikes about to ride in!!!!

Milkie
    Free Member

Wow this is getting sooo much coverage on TV and the radio…. *sarcasm in overdrive*

I did see 2 roadies, riding side by side very slowly along the trading estate with a queue of traffic behind them. I know… It’s a cool story. 8)

jaymoid

I cycled to work today, but was going to anyway, didn’t really see more than the usual, I think I saw two cyclists.

Got handed this flyer too.

So if I cycle to work 5 for days a week, I get a £1 voucher and a peice of fruit!
    For me that works out at 0.8p a kilometer. Hmm they’re not really incentivising this very well.

But I do get to get my helmet out for the ladies in the cafe!

arachnidlover
    Free Member

I rode the 16 miles to work this morning, I usually ride Mon – Wed – Fri anyway, I also tried to encourage a few people here (calling them lazy and porky usually has the desired effect). I didn’t see anyone else riding this morning and lo and behold when I got here everyone else had driven to work, despite one of them living with a mile or so of the works……. 🙁

Lack of publicity about this hasn’t helped. If I hadn’t seen this thread I wouldn’t have known anything about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to Work Day… this Thursday!’ is closed to new replies.