Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cycle Mileage Claim – Insurance
  • shuhockey
    Free Member

I’m just putting a document together for staff who travel to another site, not their usual place of work, about claiming expenses for mileage.

I thought I’d put on cycling as it ain’t that far!

Anyway finance have come back and said cycling mileage claims are fine but you have to show:

1.You have third party insurance minimum £2 million (British cycling membership is £15 million so that’s fine, I already have that)

2. Your insurance has to extend to business use!! (Which british cycling doesn’t)

So anybody know if this is a requirement or just a company policy and who offers such insurance that is cheap, and why wouldn’t British cycling not include this in their insurance?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you spoken to BC regarding that part? Might be worth a clarification if it relates to business or pro cycling

CraigW
    Free Member

Cycling UK membership.

Cycling UK members are automatically covered up to £10 million by this policy, including using cycles for business use. But note that you are NOT covered if you are specifically employed as a cyclist, for example as a bike messenger.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/insurance/third-party-insurance

rene59
    Free Member

How much can you claim per mile?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Maybe switch your allegiance to Cycling UK

https://www.cyclinguk.org/insurance/third-party-insurance

Oh, looks like I was beaten to it 🙂

shuhockey
    Free Member

Looks like it is 20p /mile

Only just signed up to British Cycling, though not because of this.

CraigW
    Free Member

Or check if your home insurance includes any third party cover.

keithb

Sounds like company policy.  Given that you are referring to  cycling between sites, on company time, hence technically working, appropriate insurance arrangements need to be in place.  However, as it is “work” then shouldn’t the company supply suitable insurance to cover this eventuality?

shuhockey
    Free Member

Its the same with car insurance that it needs to be for Business use, so this is one occasion were cyclists aren’t been treated differently!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

However, as it is “work” then shouldn’t the company supply suitable insurance to cover this eventuality?

Companies will specify people need to have the appropriate car insurance to use their own car, so about the same. You could as an employer use an incentive of free insurance/CyclingUK membership

rene59
    Free Member

Do you need  to pay tax on that?

riddoch

Still worth checking with British cycling, it sounds more like commuting than business travel.

keithb

True about the car insurance comparison – I hadn’t thought about “casual” car use for business purposed.  I have a car allowance so it’s essential use.

Cougar

it sounds more like commuting than business travel.

Commuting is to your regular place of work.  Otherwise it’s business travel.

staff who travel to another site, not their usual place of work

Cougar

Sounds like company policy.

I’m guessing, but I’d have thought so.  Difference is, cars require insurance by law, cycles do not.

However, as it is “work” then shouldn’t the company supply suitable insurance to cover this eventuality?

Seems they’re paying 20p/mile towards insurance.

kcal

what’s the rate for walking?

MoreCashThanDash

British Cycling quote excludes “employed as a cyclist eg courier” – to me that doesn’t exclude riding a bike to get between sites if you are employed as a mechanic.

I was a claims manager in a previous life btw.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Our work puts restrictions on any vehicle that is used for business. It has to be a car/van/truck, age, safety devices and monitoring chip are all specified. Motorbikes are prohibited as are hail taxis and certain public transport…

its all about insurance…

shuhockey
    Free Member

Thanks I have emailed BC and will let you know

maccruiskeen

what’s the rate for walking?

1.4m/s

edlong
    Free Member

Do you need to pay tax on that? [/quote]

Nope – that’s the HMRC approved rate.

EDIT: Do nested quotes not work anymore?

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’ve had a reply from British Cycling

“The third party insurance would not cover you for <span class=”markedxoi6gw5″ data-markjs=”true”>business</span> use. It only covers you for commuting to and from work, not <span class=”markedxoi6gw5″ data-markjs=”true”>business</span> to <span class=”markedxoi6gw5″ data-markjs=”true”>business</span>.”

So I’ve cancelled my membership and I’ll be signing up to cycling uk

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Mileage Claim – Insurance’ is closed to new replies.