Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Cycle food for those without much of a sweet tooth.
  • ton

i have been doing a fair few longer miles no i have retired. do a 60, 70 or 80 miler once a week with a few smaller rides too. about 130 a week in general.

on the longer ride i set off at 6am and aim to get to a greggs somewhere about 3 hours in.
    bacon and sausage roll and coffee fuels me for the return home.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Not a grizzled audaxer but have done a few. Current favourites for 200s are hummus and rocket sarnies, rice pudding drunk straight from the tub, always ice creams, full-sugar squash in the bottles (no need for the artificial crap that is no-added sugar, ever), and then water after I’ve drunk those. Pork pies, bag of salt and vinegar crisps. All good. I’m another like @ton who enjoys a Greggsfast and a doughnut at the same time. Jelly beans are my go to for a sugar kick, also tend to get less mushed in a pocket or bag. Homemade flapjacks are good too. Oh and if it’s really hot or I’m flagging a lot I’ll buy a can of coke, drink half then put the rest in a bottle with water to ride with.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Grated carrot mixed with crunchy peanut butter. Add jalepenos/hot sauce or a dollop of houmous bit of salad, whatever takes your fancy.

Wrap it tightly in a wrap.

Its dense but the carrot keeps it from clagging. You can eat it on the go especially is you wrap it in tinfoil. Protein, cans sugars are all there. But most of all its so tasty it a regular normal lunch.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

I have to take stuff with me, because most of the longer rides(and shorter for that matter), are on canal banks, so I don’t pass shops.

Going for a longer ride tomorrow(77 I think it is). Not 100% decided what to take yet, but I’ve bought some Pork Pies, and some nice Lion Brand Football Sweets, and midget gems for emergencies(I’ll look out for York Fruits). I might have a pub lunch at my destination.

I’ve ordered a cage & bottle so I can take electrolyte tabs(hope they turn up today).

Seeing it was cooler yesterday, I did a 17 mile blast to a craft pub on the canal for 2 pints, then a 14 mile blast to the next pub for 2 pints, then a 10 mile blast to my home town, for a couple more and a pizza. Over that sort of distance I’m fine. I just know how badly I’ve limped home from 80 mile rides in the past, with just zero left in the tank – and that’s what I’m hoping to avoid.

At the minute, I’m thinking a couple of rolls, BLT maybe, a couple of Scotch Eggs, and a bag of crisps for tomorrow.

nickc

I just know how badly I’ve limped home from 80 mile rides in the past, with just zero left in the tank

If you doing 40 miles of flat riding on 6 pints and a pizza, I’m not surprised you can’t ride for 80 miles

kimura54321

I also struggle with being disciplined enough to get by with just using “real food”, as I find the more tired I get the worse planning decisions I make.

Did a 113 mile ride around Essex yesterday, which was almost pleasant towards the end in comparison to some of my early attempts by sticking to having something like a bit of flapjack/sandwich/sausage roll or an energy gel every 30 minutes if I want something as a quick hit.

Used two water bottles on the bike which I refilled along the way, must have had 7 in total. Wouldn’t want a hydration pack on longer rides, the extra heat and chafing just aren’t worth it.

argee

If you want something high calorie and easy to take, then those peanut butter sachets are good, they’re called ‘Fuel’ Peanut Butter, easy to use and store, other option is jerky, but a bit drier and stuck in the teeth!

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

If you doing 40 miles of flat riding on 6 pints and a pizza, I’m not surprised you can’t ride for 80 miles

I’d be having the beer and pizza on a Friday anyway so much better incorporated into a ride. The last 10 miles home is hilly. Only rides I can do that have climbing are up to Tissington Trail, or over to Rutland Water.

nickc

Oh, sorry my mistake. My remark should be; if you ride 40 mils fuelled by 6 pints and a pizza, no wonder you can’t ride 80 miles.

Better?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Oh, sorry my mistake. My remark should be; if you ride 40 mils fuelled by 6 pints and a pizza, no wonder you can’t ride 80 miles.

Better?

Sounds the same to me :). I can ride 80 miles, did a 98 mile ride last year. I just don’t want to finish with no energy or power, like I have in the past. Since I’ve neglected both hydration and food in the past, was just looking for a bit of advice to try to avoid that.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Since I’ve neglected both hydration and food in the past, was just looking for a bit of advice to try to avoid that.

I would murder for chips, I love pizza to death, I’d eat ice cream as I slowly died of hypothermia. I’ll eat anything savoury. Crisps are gods wafers etc.

I’m not trying to be wide but…

It kinda sounds like your issue might just be nutrition full stop. Eat healthier be fitter suffer less.

6pints and a pizza is unlikely to be ridden off by a wee 40mile pootle. Crisps and pork pies are pretty salty and that’s going to make you thirsty so you’re going to want to drink more.

I’m also not suggesting gels and stuff.

Just take some simple not fatty non greasy non overly salted sandwiches filled with stuff that’s going to provide you with energy. And a banana because you’re an adult and you are capable of eating something “you don’t like”.

packs

Carrot and oat savoury flapjack are my go to snack – very easy to make and flexible recipe.

Also pitta bread with nut butter + marmite (sometimes add cucumber and tomato for extra flavour/moistness!)

Almost foraging time soon – apples and blackberries a plenty (and the rarer plums)

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

I would murder for chips, I love pizza to death, I’d eat ice cream as I slowly died of hypothermia. I’ll eat anything savoury. Crisps are gods wafers etc.

I’m not trying to be wide but…

It kinda sounds like your issue might just be nutrition full stop. Eat healthier be fitter suffer less.

6pints and a pizza is unlikely to be ridden off by a wee 40mile pootle. Crisps and pork pies are pretty salty and that’s going to make you thirsty so you’re going to want to drink more.

I’m also not suggesting gels and stuff.

Just take some simple not fatty non greasy non overly salted sandwiches filled with stuff that’s going to provide you with energy. And a banana because you’re an adult and you are capable of eating something “you don’t like”.

I am an unhealthy weight. I’ve put on loads during Covid, and I was too heavy before it.

I do want to lose weight, I enjoy it when my speed improves etc.

I’m not prepared to give up what I like for it, so it’ll take longer to get where I want to be. I’m pretty much starting from a lower base this year too, as I’m normally training to ski during the winter – but obviously not this year.

So whilst you’re correct, getting fitter and losing weight will help – it just wasn’t what I was asking. As I said, I’ve not taken nutrition or hydration on rides at all seriously before – and it’s my opinion It’s made me arrive back with little energy left.

Just for your info. According to Garmin, I burned 2099 Calories. My beers were 1400 Calories, my Pizza likely 1200 – 1500. I probably had about 400 Calories the whole day, so I’ll still lose weight, and have lost 6kg last 2 months. Still a long way to go though.

What counts as a Pootle – I went as fast as I could? I absolutely loved the ride, and all stops I had.

I do it to enjoy it, and all I’m asking is how to get home from a long with some energy left. I’m not after training and nutrition advice.

p7eaven
    Free Member

This stuff is delicious and super-handy to carry about the person:

antigee

Horrified no mention of Soreen Maltloaf? Another rider who will eat sugar stuff but try to avoid can’t recall last time used a gel but a kit kit gives me a full on lust..

So maltloaf, cheese spread in quashed down granary rolls or in rice crackers, oatcake biscuits things, salty crisps

If missed a cafe stop then might dig out a cliff bar and eat half and the other half later

Regret any grabbed meat snacks…last mistake on cold wet day and cafe shut was a battered sausage from a service station…tasted great but gut didn’t appreciate

endomick
    Free Member

Packs, pitta bread with nut butter sounds so wrong.😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sorry if my post came a toss arsy.

It wasn’t meant to.

I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been and struggling to shift it but I know that just knocking crap on the head will make me feel better. Way better than the junk does.

Try the carrot and peanut butter wrap and done of the other suggestions plus a pork pie. See how it goes?

hishairyness
    Free Member

Absolutely. Love in bit of Peanut butter and jam.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Sorry if my post came a toss arsy.

It wasn’t meant to.

No worries.

I’m actually just going to take a few Tuna and Mayonnaise rolls, a couple of Scotch Eggs, and a packet of crisps. I’ll take some Jelly sweets, but doubt I’ll touch them. I got my bottle, cage and Electrolyte Tabs.

If you guys had The Dragon at Willington, and Zamanis Pizza Restaurant nearby, you’d all want to go

😉

p7eaven
    Free Member

Think I’ve just found the perfect low fat all-protein sandwich/wrap/pocket.

As mentioned, my go-to mid-ride food (discounting pub snacks) has always been peanut butter sarnie. Now on a weight-loss push and decided back in April to cut out bread it’s been challenging to find an economical and tasty protein meal now my riding is picking up again.

Then today discovered a one-ingredient flatbread! Gluten/wheat-free and oil-free. It’s so simple it’s mad. Cooks in 2 mins and spreads nicely with peanut butter.

All you need is 250ml red lentils, 500ml water, electric blender, non-stick pan (or parchment paper and oven tray)

I added half teaspoon of salt to the batter and some nutritional yeast to get my B12 also. Cooked up a plain one first to try it out and it’s perfect with the p/butter.

Now just need to figure out in what shape to fold them for optimal ride-resistance 🙂

Make a batch. Spread. Fold. Freeze.

Fill boots:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cold pizza.

The breakfast of the righteous, and fits perfectly in a rear pocket.

ico86

That feedzone portables book is great and has loads of good ideas and tips.

Tortilla wraps are better than sarnies in my opinion as you can fill them with anything, go sloppier and easier to eat than a sarnie and they fit in back pockets more easily.

chevychase

I personally don’t see what’s wrong with the OP’s original nutrition plan.

80 mile ride? 40 miles, then pub, beer and a meal. Another 40 miles. Home.

You may be tired when you get home because you just rode for 80 miles?

nickc

and all I’m asking is how to get home from a long with some energy left. I’m not after training and nutrition advice.

Sooo, you want to know how to ride further and feel less tired and what’s best to eat to achieve that goal, while at the same time, don’t want advice on how to do that..?

Cool.

anagallis_arvensis

I make my own energy bar/ flap Jack thing. Mainly oats and use apple juice to bind together. I tend to add some blended pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds, do it in two layers with some frozen fruit in the middle and then bake till brown. You can experiment with adding more or less golden syrup to taste.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Cycle food for those without much of a sweet tooth.’ is closed to new replies.