Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Cycle commuters – why do you do it?
  • kcal

when I did commute – it was reliable time, not at mercy of buses or cars (in town, yuk) and got the exercise for free. and in the end probably cheaper than car.

rsl1
    Free Member

I do it for the environment – if a confident cyclist can’t cycle to work how do we expect the general public to drop their cars?

Fyi my commuter is a genesis vapour cx bike for £172 off eBay. Perfectly capable of everything you describe

whitestone
    Free Member

When I commuted, 21km each way, it was roughly the same time as driving in to work but about ten minutes longer coming home as it was uphill on the way back. That time wasn’t rushing as there were no showers at work so I had to take it steady. No idea on the cost of driving as I only drove to work half a dozen times in the five years I was there and that was due to having to carry equipment.

If I didn’t cycle then I got the train, the office was eight minutes’ walk from the station, which was £6.50 return so that’s my comparative cost. £6.50 x 5 x 48 = £1560 per annum. The weekly train pass didn’t work out cheaper as it assumed you’d use it on Saturdays as well. I never looked at the annual pass because I cycled – just checked, the annual pass is £2,280! that’s because my nearest station is outside the Metro area so cheaper to get day tickets.

You can get a ruddy nice bike for £2200

alanw2007

Because cycling is faster than walking or driving through traffic, and cheaper (and less smelly) than public transport.
    I use my 25 year old road bike which long ago depreciated to almost nothing and has cost me £45 over the last year (1 new tyre, set of new brake pads, new batteries for the lights, and a replacement BB).

philjunior
    Free Member

I think a point other people are alluding to is that whilst there’s nothing wrong with getting a nice bike to do it, that’s not the cost of commuting by bike, that’s the cost of n+1 – nothing wrong with that, you’re right that you don’t want a horrendous bike to commute on but with decent tyres and riding position pretty much anything will do the job. I do confess that I look forward to days I don’t have any luggage and the weather suits my summer bike though.

I do it because I like it, it saves me a lot of money in fuel and parking (or public transport) which more than pays for itself. It means I can have a pint on my way home and not worry about drinking and driving, or even chuck the bike on the train if I have a skinfull.

I see a bit of nature every day. Nice morning today, so I went along the canal (about 7 of my 11 miles this morning I reckon were canal towpath).

It gets me fit – I’m fitter than I’ve ever been. To really get the fitness out of it you do have to have the motivation to hammer it, but if you don’t have this you’ll still be getting a good base fitness.

It’s less stressful than driving.

I get to smugly ride past my neighbours when it’s a crisp frosty day and they are clearing the frost off their windscreens.

I get to work generally in a lower state of stress and ready to work.

I like that it’s nicer to the environment too, and back when I was with my ex it saved us on the ownership of one car.

edhornby

fitness/health – even riding the most polluted roads is healthier than sitting in a car
    Fun, compared to sat in a car
    quicker than the bus (deffo quicker than the car)
    you can go for a pint after work and not stress about driving & beer
    the planet needs fewer cars

Also, don’t worry about an expensive bike, I got an ali frame vitus zenium with apex 1×11 and it’s ace, it was 900quid which is about the most I’d justify on an everyday bike. Secondhand is definitely the way to go, the only reason I didn’t was because I needed one quick as I ride 5 days a week and I’m kinda tied to the bike

molgrips
    Free Member

I get to smugly ride past my neighbours when it’s a crisp frosty day and they are clearing the frost off their windscreens.

Well, I like cycle commuting, but clearing frost off a car takes about 90 seconds at most, far quicker than getting changed at work!

himupstairs

Putting health and environmental reasons to one side for a second, I’m really struggling to see how cycling can be more expensive than driving in this context…

svladcjelli
    Free Member

I don’t have a car so my choice is cycle commute or use public transport. And I don’t very much like people and their habits/behaviour on public transport.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, I like cycle commuting, but clearing frost off a car takes about 90 seconds at most, far quicker than getting changed at work!

You cannot defeat smugness with your pointless facts! 😀

woody2000

I do 20 miles give or take 2 or 3 days a week (of a 4 day week) & been riding an original Cotic Roadrat for the last 11 years or so (at least 30,000 miles and counting – the frame that will not die). Prior to that a couple of cheap road bikes, never anything expensive. The Rat has has had some new bits as stuff has worn out, and obviously has consumables, but it owes me nowt. I can’t see how riding can EVER be more expensive than driving, unless you’re commmuting on some 10 grand wonder bike. Even then I doubt it would cost more.

Anyway:
    Why – free exercise that I wouldn’t necessarily get otherwise as I have 3 young kids. I don’t really like driving. Cost. It’s a bit greener. I love being outside 🙂

ta11pau1

I think seeing it as reducing the cost of a 2nd bike, rather than increasing the cost of commuting is an excellent way of justifying the cost 😀 rather than building a light hardtail, I’ll get something more suitable for road miles and light off road.

I would have been looking at getting a 2nd bike at some point this year anyway, so every tank of fuel I don’t have to pay for because I’m doing the miles on the bike will reduce the amount the new bike has cost me.

The fitness benefits should be huge too, the regular miles will massively help vs the weekend riding in currently doing. And in turn will increase my enjoyment when I’m out on the mtb 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

I have cycle commuted for the best part of 25 years now, taking in a variety of route’s, distances and pros and cons.

I currently have two jobs, and one 26 mile hilly road round trip to one, and a 12 mile flat round run on cycle paths to the other. At nearly 47 I’m quite glad to balance the shorter with the longer.

Primarily, I do it for health and fitness and having had 3 kids it has always given me time to ride. It’s definitely cheaper for me, but I don’t really ever recall working out a figure on that. I work irregular shifts so have good scope for extending the ride’s when I want. I love this time of year, starting to catch a bit of sun, and this mornings ride was a total pleasure. But I don’t have to go back many weeks to pulling my bike out of the garage in freezing rain at 4am, and just thinking why the **** do I put myself through this. I think it’s something you have to find your own balance with.

ta11pau1

I love this time of year, starting to catch a bit of sun, and this mornings ride was a total pleasure. But I don’t have to go back many weeks to pulling my bike out of the garage in freezing rain at 4am, and just thinking why the **** do I put myself through this. I think it’s something you have to find your own balance with.

My shifts will be primarily 7am to 3:30pm (which I’m not planning to use the bike for as it would mean being out of bed by 5:45am, I’m not a morning person!) and 11:30am to 8pm which is the one I’ll be cycling on. A nice relaxed mid-morning ride in the sun, leaving about 10am will be great in the summer. Then followed by an evening ride, 8pm to 9pm, with some nighttime light off road later in the year 😀

On the early shift I’ll be able to get out in the afternoon for an hour 2 as well.

And yes, on the days when it’s peeing it down, or it’s sub zero, I’ll be using the car! I’ll also do the odd commute on my motorbike, so a nice mixture of commuting methods will be used!

hubamonster
    Free Member

Commuting on your bike is another step away from unconscious living. Was thinking this morning, all those people sat in 40k cars are mad, for a variety of reasons, suspect they thought I was mad also.

This is the best time of year to start

tjagain

AS my commutes have always been urban one of the real joys is overtaking dozens of cars ( on occasion hundreds) and getting to work much quicker than if I drove

BoardinBob

Spend half what you’re thinking about spending on something like this

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hyb-8-6-hybrid-bike-grey

s1m0n
    Free Member

Have commuted by bike for about 15 years, basically because:
    1. I enjoy it
    2. A great way to de-stress (in a previous job i never realised how stressed I was half of the time because the bike ride home got rid of it)
    3. Keep fit
    4. Save money

Current commute is either a minimum of 10 miles direct route by road (only tend to do when in a hurry or weather really bad) or 10 miles direct offroad (canal towpath with only last mile on roads in city center)

In reality though I tend to average about 13 miles each way most days but will often up the distance, just because I can and want to.
    I miss it when I don’t do it – just back on it after 3 weeks off following a crash on way home.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve NRATS but:

cheapest bike I’d want (£1120) after 3 years of commuting. With a nicer bike that would make the commute a bit easier

Your demand is fairly high, the proper cost would be depreciation plus benefits of the other riding you might use the bike for I’d say. I doubt £450 is going to make it any faster/easier also.

Me: I have the bike already (1 of 5), am happy to spend on it too as it gets the most use, it’s cheaper, more enjoyable, better for me and planet.

edhornby

merlin do a gravel bike for 650quid, the planet x ali cross bike the XLA looks good value too

willard

Why?

I hate people. Travelling by subway would kill my soul and bus is not much better. Cycling means I have only myself in my immediate area and I get to hammer round town on my bike.

I also save about 40-60 SEK a day and kill 250 kCal. What’s not to like?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sitting in traffic seems like such a pointless waste of time. I commute between Northampton and Milton Keynes which is the stretch of the M1 currently undergoing an upgrade to smart motorway. Traffic both on the motorway and on the lanes between the 2 towns is horrendous. On a good day the bike ride is a few minutes longer. On a really bad day the bike is a lot quicker and I am not exactly a racing snake.

crazy-legs

On a bike, I know how long the commute is going to take to within a couple of minutes. Weather makes a bit of a difference, traffic a marginal amount but basically, I know it’ll be an hour regardless of what time of day I do it.

If i drive, it could be anything from 35 minutes (that’s exceptional but possible) to 2hrs (again, exceptional but not unknown).

I’m free, not dictated to by traffic or roadworks or train cancellations / overcrowding. I’ve altered my route home to ride part way with a friend or to explore a new road or trail, I’ve taken the quick route, I’ve used it to accumulate distance or height gain for Strava targets. It’s what I make it, not just some mundane act of sitting on the same roads in the same queues of traffic.

prawny

I’m off the commute at the moment, but when I’m on it I do it because it’s the most pleasant least unpleasant method of getting to work. It costs more than the train, it takes slightly longer and is harder work and more faff. But I really don’t like the train.

I was feeling tired and vulnerable over the winter though so I’ve taken a break for a while and I’m going out for fun more.

tjagain

How can cycling cost more than the train?

chvck
    Free Member

2 main reasons for me at the moment – it’s free and I really do not fancy driving into Manchester centre. I’ve been doing the commute 2 or 3 times a week for a year now (I work from home the other days), used public transport a few times but driven 0. I’m not sure I’d say I enjoy it as it’s straight down a busy main route and it hurts but I enjoy it more than I would driving.

About to move a lot further away which will give me an 18 mile each way commute almost entirely on canal path. I’m looking forward to that, although will have to buy an ebike to do it – I struggle to walk after the 4 miles commute I have now. Might take the train when it’s icy though.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Simple. Because driving sucks balls…

Cheers!
    I.

winston
    Free Member

Whilst I like cycling around in pointless circles on expensive machinery as much as the next forumite, don’t underestimate the simple pleasure of getting somewhere you need to be under your own power for very little money.

Don’t forget to factor in extra food into your cost calculations though…

ross980
    Free Member

I cycle 5 miles each way. It’s loads quicker than the bus, slightly quicker than the car (parking is very expensive).
    I don’t especially enjoy my commute if I’m being honest, but the time/health/cost benefits are what make it worthwhile. If I didn’t cycle I’d probably get a 125cc Scooter/motorbike to commute on.

Bike wise I found the year-round biking just destroyed the drivetrain and brakes. I tend to max out the C2W allowance (often not for commuting 🙊) but my latest bike is a £1k C2W Gazelle Cityzen, bought because it’s practical and virtually maintenance-free (belt drive, 8 speed hub, hydraulic discs, rack, chain guard etc. etc.). I don’t like it though. But it is practical (and zero maintenance since October other than pumping up the tyres)

ta11pau1

Bike wise I found the year-round biking just destroyed the drivetrain and brakes. I tend to max out the C2W allowance (often not for commuting 🙊) but my latest bike is a £1k C2W Gazelle Cityzen, bought because it’s practical and virtually maintenance-free (belt drive, 8 speed hub, hydraulic discs, rack, chain guard etc. etc.). I don’t like it though. But it is practical (and zero maintenance since October other than pumping up the tyres)

Having done motorbike commuting for a few years, year round – I can easily imagine that. 200 miles a week through winter would not only cake the bike in grime but also kit too.

Come winter I’ll do dry days, I’m under no impression that I’ll be commuting by cycle when it’s sub zero or wet. I have a 4wd, comfy car for those days.

LMT
    Free Member

Been commuting for 4 years now, work is 4 miles away, somewhere dry to store bike while I’m at work. I do shifts so early shift it’s quicker by car, any other shift it’s half the time by bike. Work not far from jag/landrover so they clog up the road at there shift patterns, there’s a religous building so Friday at 1-2pm the roads are full, the bike is the most sensible.

I had a cheap specialized crosstrail first year, somehow when moved it didn’t survive, got another better spec one lasted 3 years that’s just been retired and replaced with an orange speedwork. I have a better bike to encourage me to ride further after work. On those nice sunny days it does the trick.

ibnchris

It’s faster, cheaper and less faff for me to drive. But I cycle 2 or 3 times a week purely because I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old and it’s the only time I get to ride my bike.

It means walking 20mins to nursery pushing my bike with one hand and pram with the other (have to do that so my wife can use pram in return journey) and then off I go on a lovely 13 mile cross country ride.

I’m usually late for work and late home meaning a bit of grumbling from both parties but I’ve got myself some riding so it’s all worth the bother 🙂

simondbarnes

Because I’m a cyclist

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I do 7 miles each way which I do almost always 5 days a week, there are many reasons why…

1. Fitness – I’ve been regularly commuting by bike now for 5 1/2 years and it’s definitely improved my general fitness
    2. No traffic (I live in Milton Keynes) so it’s majority on the redways (separated from the roads) – it always takes me just less than 30 minutes each way
    3. The environment – we all need to get out of our cars more and this is me doing my bit
    4. The cost – the bike costs very little to keep running – usually a pair of tyres every 18 months, brake blocks a few tubes and every so often a derailleur, chain etc. My bike is a (roughly) 13 year old Cube which I got originally on cycle to work, it’s not worth alot now (was about £950 new) and I’ve definitely more than had my moneys worth
    5. Fresh air and seeing wildlife – Woodpeckers are quite a regular site and I’ve even seen an otter

sirromj

I’m another one doing 4 mile each way commutes. Very bad weather combined with heavy cold is usually what causes me to take the car, or fractured wrist a few years ago (but then I couldn’t drive either).

5 years ago (was it?) I decided it was my bit for the environment, plus the challenge of cycling to work everyday all year round through all weathers. I ditched my own car and share my partner’s, so if I do need it, it has to be convenient to her.

There’s no challenge in my commute any more as now it’s just a normal part of my day and I enjoy it. There’s scope to play around on the bike on the way home, explore different routes, take different bikes, it doesn’t have to be a chore.

loughor
    Free Member

I’ll echo much of the sentiments above, especially Ton, ‘because it’s what makes me me’.
    After finishing rugby and getting fat (I like beer me), started riding every day, 10 hilly miles each way.
    Improved my life no end, for reasons explained above by others, best life decision ever !

prawny

tjagain

How can cycling cost more than the train?

Not every month, but over a 20 mile each way commute the maintenance and worn clothing costs mount up quickly. A set of wheels every couple of years, tyres every six months, I’d get 3 months to a chain of I’m lucky, 5 pairs of shorts per year or two plus the bike.

Also, my train is very cheap, direct debit pass into Birmingham is just over £70.

ta11pau1

Cheers all, I would add that I turn 38 in less than 2 months time so the fitness thing is a big deal, I’m not in bad shape at the moment but there’s always improvements to be had.

@prawny
    – £70 a month? That’s ridiculously cheap for any train ticket, for my new commute covering 11 miles by road, not into or out of a city, it’s £132 a month.

finephilly
    Free Member

bear in mind a £1k bike is much better quality/design/construction than a £1k car.

Daffy

Ransos pretty much covers my reasons, but I’ll also add that it’s more reliable/predictable than the traffic/car in Bristol.

My car does 27mpg (at best), it’s 1.7 tonnes. My commute totals ~ 7000miles per year.

In November 2014, I built my Niner RLT which cost about £1900. So far, I’ve done about 22k miles on it. I’ve bought 2 new tyres, 1 set of pads and a service kit for the Alfine…oh and some bar tape. £100. My car has done about 2000 miles per year since then. By my estimates, I’ve saved about £4500 in fuel over 4 years. £800 in tyres and £600 in servicing. My insurance is also cheaper. So about £6k. That’s a net gain of after the second year of ~£1300 a year…but I do eat more…which is another benefit. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Cycle commuters – why do you do it?’ is closed to new replies.