Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Cycle commuters – why do you do it?
  • ta11pau1

I’m currently adding up the cost of a cycle commute for my new job which starts in a weeks time – it would involve buying a 2nd bike for the commute, as my current bike just isn’t suitable for a 26 mile round trip commute and would make it a misery. The ‘commuting’ bike would be a gravel bike on 650b WTB horizon/byways.

Looking at the figures, and because of the shifts I’ll be doing it’ll only be feasible to commute every other week, it means that driving is actually the cheapest option – it only starts to become financially better with the cheapest bike I’d want (£1120) after 3 years of commuting. With a nicer bike that would make the commute a bit easier, it’s still £450 more expensive over 3 years to commute by cycle than driving. I’ve not included running costs other than fuel on the car, but it would only be 2000 miles a year less, any wear and tear would be offset by a set of bike lights etc.

So, if I wanted the cheapest (and quickest) option, I’d drive every day. However, cycling 4 days out of every 10 worked means I’d be doing an extra 2300 miles per year on the bike, which would mean my fitness (which I’m always working on to get better) would skyrocket, and thanks to the shifts I’ll be doing (starting at 11:30am every other week) it means I’ll be able to take either the quick road route, or a slower route down some local bridleways, such as:

Not forgetting, of course, that N+1 is a thing and I’d also use the ‘commuting’ cycle for local riding and exploring which doesn’t need a 140/150mm 14kg FS, and where a sub-10kg fast rolling gravel bike would be perfect (which is about 90% of the riding from my door).

So, STW commuters – why do YOU commute by cycle? Is it purely cost? Or is it to beat traffic, get fitter, get more miles on the bike, or just enjoy some fresh air for 2 hours rather than be stuck in a car for an hour every day? Or a combination of all of the above!?

Cheers 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FFS logged out while posting….

Occasional commuter, 2-3 times a week max but it gets in the way of going to the gym which is a pain, also need to be smart and we have no shower, plus cart laptop around for off site stuff – yeah it’s frustrating

Cost wise it’s not much different, I buy a monthly tram pass so it’s cheaper overall even if I use it so no real cost saving as it’s more expensive to buy for the days I use.

Bike will take another year to pay off but I use it loads more than any other bike at the moment so it was a good N+1

basically yes no maybe probably

Alpha1653

Ive built up an old road bike into a hack about commuter for a 22 mile round trip. I try to do it at least a couple of times a week but have failed miserably over the winter; spring is now fully in the air so I have no excuse.

Why get a new bike? There are plenty of quality second hand ones out there for a steal.

Why? Bike fitness. With a toddler, any riding is good riding. It takes the same time on a bike as it does in the car on a good day and I don’t get stuck in jams. Reduced cost in petrol and wear and tear on the car. Also, it’s better for environment (one less car etc). The only genuine downside I can think of is you’re more exposed in traffic and you breathe more exhaust fumes. But both can be mitigated by picking a less busy route.

ransos
    Free Member

So, STW commuters – why do YOU commute by cycle?

It’s quicker, cheaper, healthier and less stressful than driving.

Gunz
    Free Member

Are you intending to throw the bike away after 3 years?

cbike
    Free Member

Get an electric bike for that distance. The physical/mental health benefits, time efficiency and reliability of cycling far outweigh the financial. For some people it’s probably the most fun part of their working day. I have a fun job and a fun commute!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve always used a bike for town riding and commuting, since I was a student. So as my bikes became more expensive and I became more affluent I needed a ‘cheap’ bike. Mine was £400 and it’s absolutely fine for commuting and shopping. Ok so it’s heavy but there’s no real penalty anywhere else. You sure as heck don’t need a £1500 bike, you tart 🙂

I do it because I hate being bound to a car; I hate driving in traffic; in London I hate rush hour tube; I love the exercise and simply being outside; and it’s better for the environment. It’s a great way to work fitness into your day. If I have to drive 30 mins each way that’s an hour I’ve lost, whereas if I’m riding I can get two hours riding in for only one extra hour out of my day.

irc

When I was a cycle commuter it made it practical for us to be a one car rather than a two car family. The cost of a (cheapo hybrid) bike is just background noise in the cost of running a car.

Working shifts some of my most enjoyable cycling was riding through traffic free back streets after midnight or along the canal towpath at dusk or dawn. And the effortless maintenance of fitness. If you know you are riding to work then there is no need to plan a ride or worry about the weather. You just go.

I enjoyed the odd training course where I went up to 18-20 miles each way and had to find different routes. Crossing a decent sized city – Glasgow from side to side there is a vast choice routes.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

450 quid for 6900 kms of pleasure over 3 years sounds like an absolute bargain to me. Who wouldn’t want to begin and end their day riding through those fields?

WillH

I commute by bike every day, year-round. I take my boys to before-school club and kindy four days a week, and collect them on the other day. Even though it’s only a few hundred metres it’s quality time with them outdoors, we often see and talk about wildlife, play games and so on. Plus we do it in all weathers, so they are totally on-board with the idea that you can do stuff outdoors even when it’s cold/raining.

My commute after that is only 5km though, half of which is on a pleasant shared path along the banks of the estuary. Once I’m back on the road it’s the last section into town which is busy with cars and I can sail past in the cycle lane 😁.

Generally though, I do it because being on a bike is almost always more enjoyable than being in a car.

scaredypants

I do a 10-12 mile each way commute, currently 2-3 days per week but likely to go up to 5 if my job changes as expected

1990s GT zaskar frame with rigid fork, 27.5″ wheels and 42s on it

Perfect for the job and cost me “nothing”

I **** HATE commuting by car. My tolerance for dickheads had plummeted over the years and I just get wound up by it all. Even in the pissing rain my bike commute is twice as nice

ta11pau1

Not planning on throwing the bike away after 3 years, I was looking at the basic costs but the residual value of the bike does bring it more into favour, hadn’t factored that in!

An electric bike, now that would make it far more expensive! The 13 miles doesn’t need one, takes 50 minutes on a fast rolling bike.

And yeah I don’t ‘need’ a 1500 quid bike for this, but my thinking is that if I get something cheap, it’ll make me want to use it less and I’ll end up just using the car more. Even with a 500 quid bike (ignoring the bikes residual value) it’s still no cheaper than driving.

So basically, for me:

It’s slower than driving
    It’s more expensive than driving

But:

I’d be increasing my yearly mileage by 200%, minimum, going from 1000 miles per year on the mtb (I’m aiming for 2000 miles on the mtb this year but not sure I’ll get there) to 3000 total minimum. So, fitness ++
    To ride decent trails means driving somewhere so I’d have a bike suitable for local riding = even more miles.

So, if I put it another way: If commuting a few days a week by cycle was both more expensive (in the short term) and slower than driving, would you still do it?

ta11pau1

450 quid for 6900 kms of pleasure over 3 years sounds like an absolute bargain to me. Who wouldn’t want to begin and end their day riding through those fields?

You know, that’s a bloody brilliant way of looking at it.

So yeah, It’ll cost me £450 over 3 years for 7000 miles of extra riding I wouldn’t be doing otherwise.

£12.50 a month, cheaper than a gym membership.

I think that’s sold it.

molgrips
    Free Member

my thinking is that if I get something cheap, it’ll make me want to use it less

Have you had a look at inexpensive commuter bikes lately? They’re pretty decent. I am used to nice bikes but as I say my commuter is fine. There is something very liberating about riding a cheap bike for transport. You lock it up, you don’t worry about it, you stick mudguards and a rack on it. I even have a frame mount for my lock – which is highly convenient! It has SPD/flat combo pedals too which are great for general use. I’m considering a chain guard and a kickstand too!

kcr
    Free Member

It’s the fastest, easiest way for me to get to work and I get a bit of exercise at least 5 days a week without having to think about it.
    Most of all, I enjoy cycling and being stuck in a car twice a day would really depress me.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, if I put it another way: If commuting a few days a week by cycle was both more expensive (in the short term) and slower than driving, would you still do it?

It’s nearly always slower for me. This last job, commuting between Cardiff and Newport was an exception.

If it were more expensive – well, that’s a difficult question to pose as I cannot see how it would be. I just spent £250 on my car for example. I would make it cheaper to cycle by not buying £1500 bikes, for a start!

easily
    Free Member

When I have to drive or use public transport to and from work it doesn’t really seem like I’ve finished work till I get home. When I cycle – which at the moment is everyday – I feel like I’ve finished work as soon as I’m in the saddle.
    Besides, what could you possible spend your money on that would be better than a bike?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

You know, that’s a bloody brilliant way of looking at it.

Even better I shortchanged you by 60%? by quoting in kms.

I spent way more than that on playing soccer every year when I was able to do it as much as I wanted to and it was much less than you are getting.

You could also rerun the math using the costs per mile put out by various organisations for cars. I think that will make your sums closer, since it factors wear and tear, depreciation etc.

Curious what bike you are thinking of? CdF are available cheaper than your figure and can take 650 up to 2″ Tyre, for instance.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Have a10 mile each way commute ,9 of which is towpath,work 4 on 4 off so only have to do it 4 days a week the main reason I do it is because it saves having a second car ,bike I normally get through c2w ,a new one every other year and it still works out cheaper than average ved and diesel for the same trip ,don’t know how but our company’s c2w there has been no signing of extended rental and no extra payments at the end of the year so it’s a win win (+ we have £1200 to spend )

cp

It’s quicker, cheaper, healthier and less stressful than driving.

I **** HATE commuting by car

would make it cheaper to cycle by not buying £1500 bikes

These things! On the latter for example, I’m about to out up for sale a very good condition CX/commuter bike with only about 100 miles on the drivetrain…. For in the region of 300 quid. There’s your cost difference sorted right there! There are a lot of second hand mint condition bikes that have gone little used with folk with good intentions…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For the last ~15 years, my commute has been under 6 miles each way, but for ~5 of them (until ~Xmas 2011) I drove and the queuing in rush hour used to kill me a little everyday, using the bus for a while after my RTA was almost but not quite as bad.

Cycling not only helps me wake up in the morning; it gets me outdoors in the elements for at at least 40mins each work day; it helps a little with fitness; de-stress from work on the way home; it also gets me home almost as quick as I could drive it even though I now finish early afternoon etc.

~26 miles a day, five days a week takes some commitment, but there are some on here that do that and more… Prawny for example, rides ~40 per day on a fairly hilly route.

joebristol

My car journey is usually about 25 mins crawling the 4.5 miles to work in traffic. I either park a 15 min walk from work for free (in a
    Slightly ropey place to leave the car) or pay £15 to park for the day.

If I cycle a similar route it’s 20-25 mins door to door and there are shower facilities at work.

I can also extend the cycle to between 8.5 – 16 miles each way using the Bristol-Bath cycle path and different routes to get to it.

I’ve never worked out the cost but on the basis my previous bike to work racer was with me for 7 years it must have worked out cheaper than fuel and parking costs even with cycle clothes. Bike was £1k new on C2W scheme.

Current bike was £1475 and will likely be my C2W bike for many years to come so imagine much the same result.

So it’s firstly for convenience and close followed by extra cycling miles / fitness then 3rd it’s probably cheaper.

baboonz
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you do it? I can’t do it atm and I really miss it.

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s quicker by far for me – my 8.5 mile commute can take 50mins in a car (although in school holidays There’s less of a difference).
    Its my only reliable exercise at the moment.
    It’s cheaper.
    It’s better for the environment.
    It’s fun (sometimes) and only rarely unpleasant.

matt_outandabout

When I can, it’s quicker, cheaper, healthier and less stressful than driving.

How do you make the car so cheap?

Surely you are looking at depreciation, tax, service, not, tyres, insurance…. Even if you own it and won’t get rid, most cars are 30-50p a mile…?

robbo1234biking

I don’t save a huge amount cycling to work as we already have the car. Trying to decide if we can go down to one car which would be a good saving but that has additional complications (namely reducing my cycling at weekends and the ability to go other places).

I enjoy the cycle to work and it only costs me about 10 mins compared to the car which for the fitness gain is worth it. It is nice to go home as I don’t queue in traffic. Not much saving in the morning as traffic is very quiet (if driving I leave at 6am).

MoreCashThanDash

Started commuting by bike just after MCJnr was born. Realised I’d driven to work so tired after yet another sleepless night that I probably wasn’t safe on the roads.

Then when they were toddlers, it was the only way of getting miles in, didn’t seem fair for MrsMC to have to deal with them all day 6 days a week when I was working and riding.

Now I only get to fit it in one day a week, but it is so worth it, clearing my head on the way in and out of work, seeing the seasons change along the canals. Best part of my working week those Tuesday commutes.

The bike has evolved as commuting use has changed – no longer full guards and panniers, now a regular gravel bike I can use for regular, er, gravel riding!

damascus
    Free Member

I have a mtb, a road bike and a rigid 29er. It covers everything I need so I can ride with friends or on my own, keep fit and healthy. I can’t stand going to a gym so I justify the cost as its my hobby.

I cycle to work but as I already own the bikes I don’t count them as a cost, everything is paid for.

Everytime I cycle to work I save 20 miles in petrol but this is irrelevant to me.

Cycling to work is about riding my bike, staying fit, doing miles my friends can’t so I can keep up with them on a Sunday. Since I had mini D it’s about getting miles in around daddy duties!

Occasionally I’m really p###ed off at work. 50 minutes later when I get home all my worries are gone and my wife is none the wiser and I don’t bring my problems home. I’ve also cycled in the daylight rather coming home, getting changed and going out with lights on.

My bike is a 2nd saracen Avro, full carbon and discs. Cost £600 3 years ago off ebay. There are so many bargains out there, especially n+1 bikes ridden less than 100 miles.

If you are thinking about money first then maybe its not for you? Perhaps you should start cheaper, see if you stick to it, if you do upgrade, if you don’t sell it on.

tjagain

If you are stressed riding a bike really does clear it. . Stress is a triggering of your fight and flight reflex but if you are at work you rarely can fight or run away. You burn off the stress hormones when you cycle.
    We are all recommended to exercise most days. Commuting by bike gives you that exercise without having to actually do an activity like going to the gym.

It is one of the best things you can do for your health,

lunge

13 miles each way here, so a similar distance.
    It’s not cheaper as I have a train pass and on the days I commute (2 or 3 days per week) I still have the pass.
    It’s about the same in terms of time, marginally slower but not much in it at all.
    So why do I do it? Partly as I enjoy it, partly out of habit, partly as it’s “free” exercise. Like most, I’m pretty time poor, so fitting in 90 min of exercise in a day can be tough, this means I can do so without really taking extra time out of my day.

nedrapier

Sounds like OP’s made his mind up, but if you need any more help: buy the bike you want for the local riding. That’s done, cost has been sunk. Now help pay for it by riding it to work rather than driving!

cb200
    Free Member

It keeps me fit

It keeps me in better shape

I arrive at work energised

It saves on fuel

It prevents pollution

There’s a certain spot where I whizz along on some singletrack, able to see the queue of traffic I would be sitting in

I can hone my MTB skills to an extent

It tunes you into seasonal changes

It’s a good example to my tech-addicted kids

It has inspired at least one colleague to start an occasional bike commute

jaminb
    Free Member

It is monday morning, just got to the clients office I feel great (it wont last but I get to cycle home again tonight)

21 mile 1hr 40 cycle no delayed trains, people coughing on me, traffic jams and the sun was shining what is not to like. With a young family I could never justify 9 hours a week in the saddle otherwise.

joebristol

Just on the bike if it’s purely for commuting (if you’re planning to use it for fun as well than on a cost basis factor that in) then have a look at a Boardman cx bike for much less money and just change the tyres if you don’t like them. If you can do it on C2W then it’s even cheaper.

ta11pau1

Yeah this thread has helped, I will of course look out for a bargain used bike but I probably will end up getting something new – n+1, shiny things and all that 😀

Most likely it will be a Ribble CGR, the new place does have C2W but obviously I’ll need to wait until I’ve done my probation for that.

I’m only including fuel as I already own the car and pay for ved, insurance, tyres, servicing etc. doing an extra 2000 miles a year isn’t going to increase those costs, the extra fuel is the primary cost.

Even better I shortchanged you by 60%? by quoting in kms.

Yeah lol, tbh I managed to add some miles, it was late. 6000 miles over 3 years is the right figure.

The fitness increase will mean a massive boost to my mtb riding and its probably the cheapest way of doing it, getting a smart trainer would be more, and far less enjoyable.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it purely cost? Definitely cost. £20K pay cut from my last job to this, so it’s useful not to have to use any fuel, or put wear & tear on the car.
    Or is it to beat traffic Yes, definitely this too – half hour into work by bike – 20mins by car
    get fitter Of course
    get more miles on the bike Not really, don’t particularly enjoy road miles
    or just enjoy some fresh air for 2 hours rather than be stuck in a car for an hour every day? – Now this, probably as much as the cost – my stress levels go through the roof in the car, so best avoided really.

+ not being one of those lot… You know, sat in their cars every sodding day as part of their day. That part of my day is out in the country(ish) on my own, waving at cows and ducks. Big feel-good factor involved.

MrSparkle

Why do I do it?
    It’s free (near as dammit). Second hand Ribble Audax bike £320. Running costs negligible.
    It’s free training. Twenty two hilly miles is enough to give a worthwhile ride. Can extend if feeling keen.
    One less car. This one has become increasingly relevant to me. Less money spent on fuel. Less pollution. Just a bit less killing the planet.
    Its riding a bike – what’s not to like?

chiefgrooveguru

It’s as quick as driving (and quicker when the traffic is bad), there’s no parking at work anyway, it’s much less stressful and it’s fun! And if I take the long way in I can ride some awesome short DH tracks.

As it’s hilly here the eMTB speeds it up whilst being fun – I would probably be as fast on a proper road bike but I wouldn’t enjoy that as much or feel as safe (or be hitting jumps and drops on the way in…)

And we only have one car, if I had it sitting at work it would really restrict the rest of my family.

ton

because I love it
    because it keeps me sane
    because it makes me, me………. ;o)

on my 36th year as a cycle commuter this year.

jimdubleyou

It’s

a) just as quick as public transport,
    b) cheaper than buying a ticket – I live inside the London PAYG zone so don’t have a travel pass.
    c) easy to have a quick jaunt around Richmond Park on the way home.
    d) I definitely wouldn’t get home and spend two hours on the bike if I’d commuted by train/tube.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Cycle commuters – why do you do it?’ is closed to new replies.