• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cycle Carrier for a Ford Ka
  • jordie
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting one of those Saris bones one or is there something better.

FOG

Nobody will recommend a bike rack for the KA because it hasn’t been approved by Ford for a rack. This obviously doesn’t stop you choosing one that will fit but you won’t get a warranty if there is a problem. I only know this because my son has one and he had a real problem getting something to fit because of the sloping angle of the hatchback. He eventually found a cheapo one but it will only take one bike. Look for one with very long arms and a bottom rail to push the bike/s away from the car.

hora
    Free Member

Tow bar mount? Is the Ka approved?

nre
    Free Member

A mate has a Thule roof rack for the Ka, it's a bit odd as has extra feet on the back but works fine. So it is possible…

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

I just shove my bike in the back of my KA, fold the seats down and whip the front wheel off.

one_bad_mofo

Fold the back seats down, both wheels out and remove the seatpost and you can get two bikes in the back no problem.

jackthedog
    Free Member

No towbar approval for the KA according to the NTTA's Q&A page.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I used to use a halfords rear mounted one carried 2 bikes no problem

nuke

I use 2 Thule roof mounted cycle racks on my Ka. Ka is quite low so loading and unloading has always been dead easy.

Just need to solve the problem of the engine cutting out at most junctions/roundabouts 🙁

sofatester
    Free Member

Why not get a car rack for your bike?

A mountainbiker driving a KA? You should know better 😉

hora
    Free Member

How do you find your Ka's for long distances on the motorway- stable?

Tess
    Free Member

Danny Leigh has right idea, shove the bike in the back of the Ka with the seats down – no worries!

dmiller
    Free Member

Would it not be easier to carry the Ka on the bike? 😈

stumpy01

hora – her indoors has got a Ford Ka and I reckon it's suprisingly capable on motorway journies.
    Only issues are you have to plan WELL ahead as it's pretty slow to accelerate at motorway speeds & there isn't a great deal of soundproofing.

Aside from that – it's fine. It actually rides really well & doesn't get blown about like you expect it might. I always have fun driving it.

Oh, actually there is another thing that probably afflicts other small cars like the Ka – there's no clutch rest for your left foot. Not really an issue for me as I have quite small feet, but it might be if have mahoosive feet!

Ben_mw

We used to use a Halfords hang on thingie on our Ka. Seemeed fine – not as solid as the Thule we use on the other car now, and needed an extra strap or two for motorway speed peace of mind. We did used to put the wheels in the back of the Ka as otherwise they obscured the rear lights, and the bikes were wider than the Ka. Biggest downside really is the fact that people point and laugh! Bit like those comments further up the page!
    Ours is for sale if your interested?
    Just noticed this started 7 months ago! I assume you're sorted by now!

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

I used to use one of our Strap On Carriers on my Ka with no problems.

nuke

If anyone is after any roofbars for their Ford Ka I have some Ford lockable ones designed specifically for the Ka…just removed from my Ka as it was scrapped last week 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

*sniggers*

He said "strap-on".

hora
    Free Member

nuke how old was your ka and what 'killed' it?

nuke

S reg (1999). Bodywork was perfect but underneath it was quite rusty. It failed its MOT due to rust underneath and it was going to require the welding of metal plates. Brakes were on there way out and the sump was leaking. Plus there were a few other warnings on the MOT test…it would have cost more to repair than it was worth and given the insurance was just coming up for renewal and we didn't really need a second car, we decided in the end to scrap it. Quite gutted actually as it really was a great little car. Got us through the snow much better than our other car.

hora
    Free Member

Well it had a longish life I guess. You can pick up a 07 for 3.5k. Thats a better prospect even than a Fiat Panda plus Ford offer a 6yr anti-perforation warranty so it would be covered for another 3yrs..

I'm starting to be sold on the idea.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Carrier for a Ford Ka’ is closed to new replies.