Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cycle 2 Work – quick question
  • BluePalomino
    Free Member

The Govs cycle 2 work scheme covers "cycle safety equipment". Does that mean ONLY when buying a bike through the scheme? or can i get helmet, lights etc through the scheme without buying a bike?

daveb
    Free Member

Pretty sure you need to buy a bike at the same time. With some schemes you get extra stuff free, I think up to 15% of value of the bike.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Have to buy a bike for it to work…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    funkynick

But, as I was told by the person at the Halfords call centre, there is no lower limit as to how much the bike can cost… so for a £1k voucher you could get a £50 bike and £950 worth of safety equipment!

d4
    Free Member

Watch out if you're on shift allowance, a friend of mine discovered his company were taking the money off the basic so losing his shift allowance. He has worked out that he's paying pretty much full retail. Guys on night shift have ended up paying more than retail.

RealMan
    Free Member

But, as I was told by the person at the Halfords call centre, there is no lower limit as to how much the bike can cost… so for a £1k voucher you could get a £50 bike and £950 worth of safety equipment!

Yeah, heard of a guy who did that – I think the cheapest bike halfrauds do is about £65 for a kids tricycle type thing. He used the rest of the cash to buy all the components need for his new TT bike, then bought the frame somewhere else. I think he even managed to return the tricycle and get his money back for it as well.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Thats Tax Fraud…. can be deemed kinda serious by some!
    Cant have a kids bike as the point is Cycle to work, not get your family out for the weekend. You also cant buy components.

andrewh
    Free Member

"But, as I was told by the person at the Halfords call centre, there is no lower limit as to how much the bike can cost… so for a £1k voucher you could get a £50 bike and £950 worth of safety equipment!"

Hmmm. Does this include upgrades? Could I comute on an Appollo something-or-other with a set of Tune Prince/Princess hubs and Stans Olympics? What if I found they didn't work with the rest of the bike (what do you mean, 'only work with disc brakes?) and put the original wheels back on? I may as well keep the Tune/Stans wheels for my other bike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cycle 2 Work – quick question’ is closed to new replies.