Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • CyB – Second Day Suggestions & Directions back to Trawsfynydd
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Heading to CyB this weekend with some friends, none of us have been before and so I’m appealing to the collective wisdom of STW to suggest some trails for day 2.

We’re doing dragon’s back on the first day, primarily because we’re not good enough to be on blacks yet otherwise we’d be doing beast

That leaves 2 reds for the second day, Temtiwr and Cyflym Coch. Are they worth it? Are any of the black trails easier than the rest (so the more proficient riders can go on something more challenging)? or should we go for a bit of a drive to one of the other nearby trail centres?

Since we’re relatively new to mtb I’d prefer to stick to trail centres rather than heading off on some of the other natural trails nearby.

Second question, we’re staying at Trawsfynydd in one of the log cabins. A search of the forum suggests we can use a sustrans route (82 i think) to reach CyB, using the ‘Beginning of the End’ descent. Is this right? Is it a case of following your nose or a little more complex?

If you’ve used the sustrans route before, do you ride back to the holiday park using it or take the A470? Primarily looking for the easiest way back to the beer hut either avoiding busy roads or more hills.

Thanks 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

The beast is black due to the length, not really the technicality. It’s just MBR and dragons back.
    I wouldn’t count out an uplift day at Antur Stiniog (if there are spaces). There’s something there for everyone. I’ve been with beginners and they’ve got on OK with the blue.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Cheers Wrecker, I’ll take a look.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Second question, we’re staying at Trawsfynydd in one of the log cabins. A search of the forum suggests we can use a sustrans route (82 i think) to reach CyB, using the ‘Beginning of the End’ descent. Is this right? Is it a case of following your nose or a little more complex?

Yeah, it’s easy. Leave the site by going up the hill behind the pub.

At the top turn right and immediately fork right (towards the chapel). Keep on this road – you’ll cross a bridge, climb through some woods and then near the top of a climb is a fireroad to your right.

You’ll pick up the trails at the bottom of the fireroad. If you come to a bridge you need to backtrack 100m.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Thanks 5thElefant.

Sounds easy enough so i think we’ll give it a go…

Presumably we’ll just reverse the route to get back, do we follow the route shown on the map in the link below or is there a more direct route?

Google Map

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s the route.

If you zoom in at the dog leg in the middle you’ll see it’s a bridge crossing the Afon Gain.

That’s the back end of one of the trails (the Beast I think), so if you plan your ride correctly you can ride to just before the bridge (the clearing on the corner), pick up the beast, ride half of it, ride some other stuff if you want, then finish the beast off and exit.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Cheers.

That’s a good idea for the future, this time we’ve got to meet people at the visitors centre because they’re hiring bikes though.

Thanks for the advice chaps, have a good weekend!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘CyB – Second Day Suggestions & Directions back to Trawsfynydd’ is closed to new replies.