• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tops5.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • CYB Enduro this weekend
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Never done an Enduro event before but have ridden there since the place opened. Spotted entries are still open and I’m free this weekend so am thinking about giving it a go 😀

Before I enter just thought I’d ask if anyone had done it before, what to expect trail-wise etc? I can ride the trails fine so if it’s that kind of difficulty I’ll be on the start line 😀

swanny853

It’s not ‘enduro’ enduro, it’s old style ‘big loop’ enduro.

it depends on what they use but there’s nothing that difficult compared to the trails. There have tended to be a couple of hairy bits in previous years but just keep an eye out.

milky1980
    Free Member

I know it’s not a race-type Enduro, it says so on the events page! Plus if I get anywhere near a stopwatch I tend to get over-confident so I’ve avoided that type of event 😛

The odd hairy bit sounds good, will get signed up.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its like a sportive but off road.

Basically any mountain bike will be fine – mixture of natural and manmade trails.

I’m riding a Scott XC Full Sus bike, the YT will be overkill. You could do it on a HT fine, even fully ridged would work, but you may not enjoy it as much. May break a CX bike.

pierrestozza
    Free Member

I now cant make it.
    if you want my entry, let me know.
    p

milky1980
    Free Member

Great day out on the bike that was 😀

Very sore today as I got carried away and flew round the 55k course. Had a bit of everything on it, fireroad start, natural climbs, built singletrack, sketchy stuff and the new slab section was fun (and easier than it looks). Was on my trusty 5 and it was the perfect bike for it, slightly over kill but gave me a good amount of compensation room. The only thing that was wrong with it was that I didn’t fit the Shorty up front meaning the HRII clogged up badly on the sloppy traverse along the tree-free bit, apologies to anyone I held up there 😳 Did walk one section, but then everyone else did as it was a wet, rooty steep run down to a stream. Not complaining, added to the adventure feel of it. Loved rediscovering some of the non-marked stuff on the old side too.

The organisation was spot-on, as in you don’t notice it! Well, apart from the starting pistol, that caused one or two people to mutter a few expletives 😆

Loved it 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

We love an update and great you did it ! It’s like the “regrets” thread, better to get out and do it than sit at home wondering

hillsplease

A lovely time had by all.

Signing on couldn’t have been quicker and there was room at the caff for a brew and barm.

The brief was a shotgun blast and we were off. Riding was great, a couple of bits of push, one with the grassy boggy climb (wet under tyre in Wales – not a surprise), some nice natural bits, some less nice natural bits, some bits that made me go ‘by heck’ n a 3 ft wide slippy bench cut section. Some really good bits of the loops, pie at the feed station (good work), a teasing view of the finish and then out for a loop of the old Red Bull, that they have very kindly put a big ‘Slab’ onto just to perk you up!

Top descent to the finish when a charming man gave me a mug and a bottle of beer. In the sunshine.

Highly recommended and well organised – the usual bug bears of queues for the loo and significant log jams I didn’t see, but did see lots of blue sky and a great bunch of riders. Chapeau to the organisers!

gelert
    Free Member

Can you tell us where the “slab” is and is it now open to the public?

I believe it is right above Heart of Darkness and may well join up with Heart of Darkness which now rolls right into Snap, Crackle and Pop if you use the nice natural connection trail.

I couldn’t make this year’s Enduro but it’s on the list for next year. Accounts above sound excellent.

milky1980
    Free Member

It’s slap-bang in the middle of the original RedBull trail, just above Heart Of Darkness. Not open to the public yet as they’re still building the trail that links to it, a massive drop was visible from the 3rd Slab (there’s 3 of them). Won’t be open for a while I’d say!

Forgot about the sign-on with the old signs and trail maps behind the retro bikes, the original trail was tiny!! 11km with 50% fire road, people used to travel for hours to ride it!!

gelert
    Free Member

Cheers. I’ll wait for it to open, love the old trail though, it’s ace. Hoping to ride there this weekend on the new side though. Then go back when the new bit is open. I usually get to Coedy quite a bit during the winter.

mrhoppy

Found the slab section a little underwhelming, black grading is certainly optimistic. It’s an improvement to get rid of some of the fireroad on that side of the forest but it’s not a lot of trail thats gone in and there’s still a lot of fireroad and the other bits of singletrack are a bit meh.

markrh
    Free Member

I really enjoyed this event again, of its type i think you’d be hard pushed to find much better.
    Well organised, friendly, great scenery and some of the best trails in north wales, what more could you reasonably ask for?
    Happy 25th CYB!

Trimix
    Free Member

They haven’t opened all of the Slab section yet, the bits after the rock slabs are fairly demanding if taken at speed and probably warrant the grading. They wouldn’t be out of place in BPW.

Anyway – the event was great. Retro bikes brilliant to look at, film showing and local beer followed by a great bike ride in Wales in the sunshine = perfect weekend.

tops5
    Free Member

The actual slabs bit of the new trail was open on Sunday (but some jumpy bits after it closed off).

We thought it was a great addition to the trail – pretty daunting when stood looking down but nothing to them once rolling

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘CYB Enduro this weekend’ is closed to new replies.