Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • CxTyres
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Currently have Continental Cyclocross Race and they are dreadful, poor in the mud,not bad on the road and downright dangerous encountering a wet leaf. Had the bike two weeks and had three punctures already.
    Ride mainly canal paths,fire roads, forest trails mixture of mud and leaves and also on the road.
    Any suggestions not wanting to spend mega money and I won’t be racing.

Schwarzenegger CX Comp?

jonk

I’ve used cx comps for some time and they are great. Fast rolling on the road, decent grip on gravel and in shallow mud and decent puncture protection. They work tubeless too. The only downside is they don’t last too long, i get around 800 miles out of a rear before they are done and they are quite porous so tubeless giz a plenty is needed but at £10 a pop who’s bothered?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Schwarzenegger? well done iPad nice typo

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’ll order some CX comps then. Seem like the best option.

steveoath
    Free Member

Surly Knards! Super good.

senorj

I use Schwalbe cx comp. Cheap, all round gravel biking tyre.
    The landcruisers offer a bit more tread for Wintery(slippery)adventures , not tried them yet though….

jonk

Land cruisers are also good but heavier by about 150g a tyre, last longer than CX comp Tyrago is also another decent cheapie tyre.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Ordered some cx comp. Hopefully won’t get a puncture riding over a pebble like the conty cx race.

vincienup
    Free Member

I quite liked the CX Race for dry gravel and rock, and it didn’t kill me in the snow and ice offroad in the Peaks either. I tend to run GP 28’s on that bike for road. I’ve been meaning to get a set of Challenge Grifos to try. The old Maxxis Raze was a good all round compromise until the wore thin.

mattsccm
    Free Member

CX tyres are nothing special for punctures. They are meant for racing round fields etc.
    If you want gravel protection use hefty road tyres. You do not need tread on gravel and nothing works on leaves until they break down into mulch

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Maxxis Mud Wrestler is a great option, it’s built like a mini MTB tyre with Exo sidewalls etc. Work sopt on when tubeless too

outlash
    Free Member

This time of year I’m using either Schwalbe Rocket Ron’s or Challenge Grifo’s. Decent all rounders

simondbarnes

Get on really well with Specialized Terra Pro 2Bliss (run tubeless on Crests) for racing and general twatting about 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Vittoria CX XN Pro will try to kill you, very fast on road and hardpack, give them some damp and they get exciting.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

matthew_h – Member
    The Maxxis Mud Wrestler is a great option, it’s built like a mini MTB tyre with Exo sidewalls etc. Work sopt on when tubeless too

this… all of this…

Wookster

Ive got Nobby Nics on my CX work really well as a all rounder.

antigee

mattsccm – Member
    CX tyres are nothing special for punctures. They are meant for racing round fields etc.
    If you want gravel protection use hefty road tyres

i found that out the hard way – wore thru the side walls riding gravel trails think they were specialized boroughs but obviously i was using incorrectly and had thrown away the packaging

i find swalbe marathons handle a lot of stuff – heavy yes but I know where i could most effectively lose some weight on the bike

some enthusiasm for cheap as chips Vittoria tyres here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/vittoria-randonneur-tyres

nodrog2
    Free Member

WTB Cross Boss here. Work a treat tubeless, roll pretty quick, grippy in most conditions although out of their depth in proper winter muck, durability – not sure as I’ve only just fitted them. Not the cheapest but quality rubber.

iainc

recently bought some Clement X’Plor’s for when my Cont CX Race wear out (which I have had great luck with – fats rolling all rounder and very few punctures 🙂

slowjo
    Free Member

WTB Nano 40c tubeless.

Like hen’s teeth apparently. It seems some have hit our shores and they can be found with a little trying.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘CxTyres’ is closed to new replies.