Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • CX wheels recommend me a pair! or just a rear!
  • desburns
    Free Member

After some new wheels as keep snapping spokes on the current tosh that i own!
    so what will it be? do a bit of off roading and cycling to work via tow paths so needs to be quite resistant!
    Any ideas?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Mavic Open Pro rim on an Ultegra hub built with DT Comp spokes and all built by someone who knows what they’re doing. Should be ideal

simondbarnes

What matthew_h said

thorpie
    Free Member

18bikes built me a pair of Mavic A317 disc only rims on Hope Pro 2s, spot on and quite strong.

Trevor.

Mowgli
    Free Member

A319/719s are good and strong, but a bit heavy and wide (have them on my touring bike). I have open pros on hope pro2s, very nice they are. The loud click is a bit marmite though.

matthew_h
    Free Member

18bikes built me a pair of Mavic A317 disc only rims on Hope Pro 2s, spot on and quite strong.
    Trevor.

That was me

nerd
    Free Member

I have Shimano LX hubs on Exal LX17 rims with DT Competition double butted spokes. Pretty light for a strong wheel and not too spendy.

iainc

when I asked a yr ago the overall recommendation for decent price and quality was this :

here

I have been pretty pleased with them. Similar riding to what you describe, plus a bit of touring

h4muf
    Free Member

Well i’m rolling on R500’s and have had no problems whatsoever in the last couple of years.Lots of Techy peaks action every week.

Yet1man

Hi.

Just a quick one, I’ve got a Boardman CX on order through the bike to work scheme and was thinking of doing the same sort of thing, building or buying a second set of wheels to enable slightly larger tyres for the commute and a set of thin ‘race’ type tyres for a play at 10 mile time trialling – (I had a little go at this last year on my C456 and ended up beating a few of the regulars on their road bikes ;0) so was wondering as I can’t find the info anywhere, what the rear spacing is on this frame, is it 130 or 135mm. I see a few people talking about fitting Pro II’s so am guessing 135 ?

Cheers

Michael

thorpie
    Free Member

Trevor.
    That was me

Yes Matt, and they have been great. Nothing has phased them yet, still straight and true. Must be the good workmanship!

Trevor.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Excellent, always good to hear more customers who are happy with their wheels. I do take a lot of pride in them

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

hope hoops!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yet1man you can measure your frame – it´s that easy…discs = 135 usually.

OP you prob just need a rebuild with new spokes.

Yet1man

I could measure the frame if I had it – I don’t pick it up till mid March, hence having to ask. ;0)

jonba
    Free Member

Yet1man, changing wheels can be a pain unless they are the same. Discs won’t align and if they are rim they may not be the same width. I had trouble with gears too as the cassette was not in exactly the same place so the mech needed fine tuning. I tried 2 sets with cantis but the faff with brakes and mech made it just as easy to change tyres.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘CX wheels recommend me a pair! or just a rear!’ is closed to new replies.