Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • CX wheels – kinesis or hope?
  • singletracksurfer

has anyone tried or heard about the new Kinesis CX disc wheels – what are they like? Just wondering if I get these or (some combination) of Hope hoops.

Cheers

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of the Hope wheels with the Stans rims. The wheels themselves are well built and fairly light, the tubless side of the story is another matter though! Can’t say anything about the reliability as I have only had them for a few months.

singletracksurfer

Ah. I’ll want to run them tubeless on a cx bike…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

a mate runs the Kinesis ones and they’ve been okay. He doesn’t run tubeless though so can’t comment on that.

If you go Hope then don’t run Crest 29er rims – way too tight for tubeless CX tyres IME.

I run Hope hubs on Archetype rims, and tubeless CX tyres, but that’s more £ than the two wheelsets you mention.

Houns

Having 819s on my mtbs which are a dream , the Stan’s alpha 400’s on my cx combined with conti cx tyres are a chuffin PITA

singletracksurfer

hmm, so Hope not looking good for tubeless so far 😕

cloudnine
    Free Member

Stans iron cross with hope hubs?

pixelmix
    Free Member

I end up chipping in to these conversations all of the time.

I had Hope Hoops run tubeless with a range of CX tyres with no issues.

I’m now on Stans Iron cross wheelset, only because I put the Hoops on my 29er.

beagle
    Free Member

I’m liking the h plus son on my CX build. Could only afford xt hubs though 🙁

They’d be nice with hope hubs.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The Moonglu wheels seem pretty good.

http://www.moonglu.com/shop/hope-pro-2-evo-stans-iron-cross/

They’ll run tubeless CX tyres without any issues as well. I’ve just had a set arrive and they look very well built but I’ve not had a chance to use them yet.

tang
    Free Member

Hplus, novatec hubs, dt spokes from rose bikes should be in the hope hoops price bracket, if not cheaper?

RoterStern
    Free Member

It isn’t the Hope wheels particularly that have problems with tubeless it’s the Stans rims and the system itself. I am talking about racing mind not general riding about where the whole point is to lower the tire pressures to get maximum grip in the corners. In both races that I have used tubeless the rear tire has burped air from the rear rim on tight corners. The first time the tire exploded off the rim with a load bang the second I just lost a load of air in the tire but I was able to finish but not sprint for the win!! 😉

singletracksurfer

bugger, the bike has a 130mm rear axle, so that has limited my options to erm, none that I know of.

DomMason
    Free Member

Doesn’t the Eastway disc road bike have 130 spacing? I seem to remember they have to supply their own wheels to go with it…could be wrong.
    Might be worth seeing if they would fit the bill? Not sure if they are tubeless though.
    Hahah…more Q’s than answers there I fear!

singletracksurfer

Thanks. Also finding out about making it grow to 135mm now, with Argos racing fame builders.

fibre
    Free Member

Pro2 on H+Son Archetype for me, no the lightest but ride really nicely, look great and are bomb proof. Still true within a mm after 500miles of ragging it like an MTB, had a few high speed offroad cringe moments, wack! stop check wheel isn’t buggered and carry on 🙂

swanny853

Running hopes on crests, tubeless has been fine down to a bit under 30psi with schwalbes. Plumps the tyres up nicely. I suspect I wouldn’t want to try some of the brands that have tighter tyre beads like geax/vittoria though, but then that was an issue for mtb anyway.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘CX wheels – kinesis or hope?’ is closed to new replies.