Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CX wheels for £300ish
  • legend
    Free Member

Racing rather than riding.

Looking to shed some weight from the anchors my bike came with. At 63kg i’m happy running down to around 18PSi before I get worried.

My thoughts at the moment are:

Hunt Masons – £320, alu rims, light

Prime 38s – £360ish (BC discount etc), carbon and a bit more aero than the Hunts

Any others anyone can think of? Aware that both the above are rebranded chinese, but I can’t currently see a way to get them cheaper

swanny853

If you’re prepared to look for second hand hubs and build yourself you should be able to do wtb KOM rims on hope or dt for that sort of money. I found a Dt Swiss 240 on here which may push the budget a bit but was nice and light.

I like the kom rims in general and have a set for cross. They’ll do double duty for (big, not too high pressure) road tyres too, which I found crests were never so keen to do.

kiwicraig

I’ve just bought a bought a set of Hunt Aero Disc for my cross bike for roadie action but I’m running DT Swiss CR1600s for racing. They’ve taken a season of cross racing including some terribly misjudged bunny hops in their stride. Bit over budget at £398 on Rose but they’re solid.

andylc
    Free Member

I have Novatec CXD on my road bike – they are light even for road wheels but intended for CX use. So far really happy with them.

ferrals
    Free Member

Have a look on the paligap eBay outlet, they had some stans iron cross wheelsets with neo hubs for about that a while back

hatter

C 1800’s maybe if you can’t stretch to CR 1600’s?

Very similar but with a pawl hub instead of the ratchet gubbins the 1600’s get.

johnny63

I use these hubs on 3 sets of cross wheels I’ve got and they’ve been great so far

https://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/edge-design.html?cat=33

I got them built onto some PX R32 carbon rims when the braking surface was wearing down,- 3 years and still going strong

and if you don’t want tubs, then maybe build onto Pacenti 25 or H+ rims, and go tubeless ?

legend
    Free Member

Thanks folks, some interesting choices there to think about. Wouldn’t mind trying to build my own but time works against me at the moment!

What are everyone’s thoughts on going for deep rims? Around half the races I did last year were a nightmare for grass getting caught around the spokes/nipples, which then led to a whole mud of mud attaching itself too (worst case was around 25-30mm deep at the end of the race!). The idea of keeping this to a minimum is definitely appealing!

hollyboni
    Free Member

I’ve been running Hunt 4 Season Gravel Discs for about half a year on my gravel bike. Sometimes I ride rocky singletrack segments, and I bottomed out the front tyre countless times.

No dings in the rim and they’re as true as when I pulled them out of the box. I run them tubeless with Panaracer GravelKing SK tyres, they were pretty easy to set up, no burps either.

Pretty good weight, price, durability ratio IMO.

johnny63

What are everyone’s thoughts on going for deep rims?

Yes, work for mud too……and they give that bling factor, which can never be underestimated 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Everyone knows the bling factor is worth 10 extra watts!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got CR1600 on my current cross bike, use them for everything. Wouldn’t bother with the CR1800 as the pawl hubs can be a bit shit.

I’ve raced on a set of Stans Grail on superstar switch ultra hubs for 2 seasons and they’ve been ace.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CX wheels for £300ish’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.