Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CX Tubs, glueing, or re-glueing to be precise
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Do people remove the glue from their rims before glueing on new tubs, or leave it in place?

If you remove it, what the hell with?

The season is approaching…….

plop_pants
    Free Member

If the glue is clean and not too lumpy then just leave it on the rim.
    If you need to take it off the only way I found to do it without it taking all day is to use acetone on a kitchen cleaning pad, ones with the abrasive side. The abrasive bit seems to help the acetone react with glue, softening it up. The glue should turn white when its ready to come off. I’ve done this on carbon rims no probs.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks, acetone being nail polish remover?

plop_pants
    Free Member

Pretty much I think. In the uk it only seems to come in small (50ml?) bottles, so you may need a few. Acetone evaporates bloomin’ fast!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Do your best to leave a nice smooth layer on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

given the first step to gluing tubs is to get a nice smooth layer of glue on the rim and let it dry – id leave it on unless it was old and had bits of the garage floor stuck to it 😀

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks, they look quite good and smooth so I think I’ll leave them as they are and glue away.

xcneil
    Free Member

Talking of tubs what’s everyone running this season? I’m going with dugast rhinos on both wheelsets

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tufo cubus

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Rhino’s, unless I can find anywhere over here with FMB SSC’s

LS
    Free Member

Order them straight from FMB? He sells direct now.
    If you’re using the same brand of glue again and it’s in good nick, then just glue over the top. Nail varnish remover isn’t ideal for removing glue as it’s not pure acetone, it has other things in to stop it drying out the skin too much. This leaves a greasy residue behind.

Pure acetone is better but as said above flashes off very quickly. Xylene is quite easy to get hold of and works well, but the best is hexane, as it’s the base solvent in most of the clear tub glues (at least it is in Conti and Vittoria, to the best of my knowledge) so redissolves the solids in no time.

paul78
    Free Member

Have run Tufo Cubus in past but going for Clement PDX this year .. will also duplicate in clincher on training wheels.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CX Tubs, glueing, or re-glueing to be precise’ is closed to new replies.