Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cx tubeless – yes or no
  • kilo

Got to spec up some wheels, either archetype rims or a tubeless rim, which should it be? Use tubeless on the mtbs and happy enough with it but don’t know enough about how well it works on cx bikes, burping tyre choice, etc. Bike will do some races and cx club run duites. Tubeless rims, if selected, will probably be ailerons to allow for slightly higher pressure if a tube is used after a puncnture.

dobo
    Free Member

Ive done 2 cx races this year on a diy tubeless setup. My setup is far from ideal but proves it does work ok if you are prepaired to try things out.

Wheels = planet x model B road wheels, narrow, a bit rubish and cheap, a few wrapps of tape needed to get build up the rim first.
    Tyres = Michelin mud2, not the greatest at any one thing other than going tubeless, they grip the bead well and dont loose air. Can get overwhelmed in the mud, not the greatest mud tyre.
    Not sure on exact preasure but around 37 psi according to the track pump at 80kg.
    below 30 and its squirmtastic but didnt burp, just collapsed.
    I think the whole setup would work better with a wider internal width and tubeless rims, like crests/ironcross

john_l
    Free Member

Been using cx tubeless set ups for a few years, now on Alpha 400s & Vittoria TNT tyres – low 20s no problem for grassy courses, higher for general South Downs riding, but rarely above 35.

lucien

I’ve got crest 29’er rims, with ghetto tubeless With a SB8 on the rear and Slant on the front. Both 35mm, pumped to about 40-50psi, and I’m about 12st. Mixture of riding, but mainly gravel with some Flint (New Forest) and pretty happy with it so far. Tried with other tyres (conti folding and rigid) and didn’t get on too well, any more psi and spaff everywhere 😥

simondbarnes

I’m running Crests with Vittoria TNTs. Happy with them so far.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been running Rocket Ron’s on Stans Iron Cross rims tubeless with no problems at all.
    I’m tempted to swap my Clement mud tyres over to run tubeless but haven’t go ground to it yet.

jameso

I got to the point of putting the CX bike away in autumn as soon as the hedges got cut, the number of flats was getting ridiculous and fixing flats during cold + muddy winter rides wasn’t ever much fun. Now got tubeless rims (Shimano XT 29er wheels) and std WTB tyres that went up fine, all good so far. For racing / road use, not sure if there’s as much need.

plus-one

Yes .. Ran ultegra 6700 wheels for 3 years with tubeless ready tyres .. Superb

Now on stans iron x and again no problems 🙂

kilo

Looks like tubeless then, cheers for the replies

kiwijohn

I’m running Alpha 400’s with wire bead Schwalbe Smart Sams tubeless. Went up a treat with just the track pump.
    Still running 50/60 psi, but could probably go a bit lower.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cx tubeless – yes or no’ is closed to new replies.