• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • CX rim, how wide can I reasonably go? tubeless related
  • D0NK

I need a new front wheel, I’d like to try tubeless again so would prefer to use stans but hope hoops crest £110ish custom hope build with iron cross ~£170

Are crests going to be too wide? Planning on using 35mm tyres with full mudguards, worried about ending up crap profile also not sure if I’ll have problems with clearance.

Hope with open pros are also available for cheap, anyone tubelessified open pros? Shimano tubeless 29ers are 19mm wide iirc and ust, didn’t really want C&C for my neglected commuter tho, have used UST with TR tyres on the mtb dunno how well they’ll play at slightly higher cx pressures tho.

thomthumb
    Free Member

iron cross rim is the same width i think. note the max pressure though (if it bothers you)

D0NK

Doh, not the same but only 1mm in it, thought it was more

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ironbrucove

I run Crests with no probs for CX, not tubeless mind as i change tyres to regularly.

D0NK

bollocks just doing some searching and it’s sounding a lot more complicated than I thought.
    People having difficulty mounting tubed tyres on crests, 45max psi on tubed iron cross.

Hmm, half tempted to give the crests a go as I’m going to buy a 29er soon anyway
    honest….any day now… 🙄
    so if they don’t work out could it on that.

Houns

Ooh I’ve been thinking about this

Are Mavics 29″ 819’s going to be too wide?

sefton
    Free Member

I’m selling to OP’s with Ultegra hubs 32 spoke!

£115

BadlyWiredDog

I’m running Bontrager CX0s tubeless on Crests with yellow tape. The 35s are fine, nice round profile, and I’ve had around 60ps in them without issues, though I wouldn’t suggest that’s a good idea. I don’t think it’s particularly complicated to be honest. Running really low pressures is more of an issue and of course it depends on the tyres and JRA said not to go over, I think 40 or so max or the tyre would blow off. But it hasn’t.

We rode Cut Gate on crossers last summer and they were fine, no flats anyway…

D0NK

Houns should be fine pretty sure my old (broken) rim was 19mm same as the 819 (unless mavic have started ignoring their naming convention, 8=UST 19=rim width)

BWD I’ve had a couple of over pressure blow offs on mtb rims, so kinda makes me nervous 🙁

would be interested sefton but I assume ultegra=non disc?

Houns

Fair point Donk, shall check them out (again)

Keef
    Free Member

got a couple of 355 with 30mm cx tyres,not meant to be tubeless,but I tubeless all my wheels,except my 23mm road slicks 😉

BadlyWiredDog

BWD I’ve had a couple of over pressure blow offs on mtb rims, so kinda makes me nervous

I hear you, but all I can say is that it’s working for me with that tyre/rim combination. I picked it partly because I found a few people who’d tried it before. Don’t try to get proper TR or tubeless cross tyres on Crest though… don’t ask how I know etc 😐

GaryLake
    Free Member

On a related note, are Amercian Classic tubeless races going to be too wide at 24mm internal? And what tyres are people running tubeless? Seems to be a few TLR options the states but getting them in the UK is like hens’ teeth…

LS
    Free Member

Open Pro are easy to convert to tubeless, particularly for CX use.

sefton
    Free Member

Open Pro are easy to convert to tubeless, particularly for CX use.

yep buy mine £110

D0NK

What tyres have you successfully run with OPs LS?
    And what psi?

swanny853

Running schwalbes on crests tubeless. Got down to 25 psi fine and have had them as high as 40. With tubes I’ve gone higher, the pressure limits on the rim are for tubeless only according to stans iirc.

D0NK

Interesting kinesis cx wheels are 24mm rim (external) similar to crests and the boys at road.cc ran them with a small as 23mm rubber. Ok assuming I can get my tyres on/off the rim, punctures are a pretty common occurrence for me. Sheldon reckons 35 is the smallest tyre to get on a 21mm rim, Open pros are 15mm and only rated upto about 30mm by mavic, 32 by sheldon.

Grrr dunno what to do, 19mm seems the sweet spot but only looks to be shimano doing that (at cheapish prices)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just put 23mm gatorskins on my Boardman / ritchey CX wheels, they look ok to me so crests will be fine with huge CX tyres

gee
    Free Member

33c Ralphs on Crests here, no problem.

GB

john_l
    Free Member

Open Pros are fine tubeless using rim strips – had success with a variety of tyres up to 35mm. Now using Alpha 400s which are lovely.

BadlyWiredDog

As above, Crests work fine. I’ve used them with tyres from 33 up to 42 without problems and tubeless with 34 and 38 CX0s – the only thing that would put me off would be if I really, for some reason, wanted to run tubeless ready cross tyres, which are basically too tight for the rims. The tyre profile is nice too, really not an issue. I don’t think I’d want to run 23s on a Crest, but for cross tyres they work well. Honest.

D0NK

What are these tubeless ready cx tyres you speak of BWD? Genuinely haven’t seen any.

Anyway think I’m gonna pull the trigger on crests, cheers for the advice everyone

D0NK

Did get a crest rim, my current tyres (some cheapo kenda 35mm jobs) are certainly a bit snug going on but got ’em on without levers, had to go up to 70psi to get the beads seated (with tubes), may well have been easier if I used soap/talc but I was just testing it in the front room. Look ok, only thing is the tread doesn’t go around the shoulder of the tyre much any more so remains to be seen what happens if I try to lean the bike over in a muddy corner.

Will try it tubeless soon I think, just need a valve.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m using Arch EX 29er rims on my CX, tubeless with 35mm tyres at around 50-60psi with no issues.

Maltloaf

I’ve run Vitoria cross xg pro tubeless tyres on my crest rims. (TNT version)

http://www.vittoria.com/prodct/cyclocross/

They are blood tight to get on, and I wouldn’t want to change tyres in a hurry, but I have no concerns of burping or the tyre coming off on off-cambered ground. (I have managed to get them on with huffing and puffing using plastic blue park levers)

D0NK

Arch are same width as crest aren’t they, 21mm, seems weird that stans had the alphas at 17, all the MTB 20 and up (mostly 21) but they decided to go 20 with the iron cross, would 19 not have been a better midway point?
    I know 1mm doesn’t sound much but sheldon reckons there’s only 4mm difference between the narrowest and widest rim you can fit a 35c tyre on. Also I’m now using 1.4 and 2.4 tyres on the same rims, that seems a bit weird to me.

Maltloaf I ran XG pro tubeless for a week (not TR afaik) shredded them on particularly gnarly patch of gravel 🙄 dunno if the TR/TNT have tougher carcasses. Was only running 40-45psi tho iirc.
    edit yeah TNT seems to be tougher, only available in 32 tho 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘CX rim, how wide can I reasonably go? tubeless related’ is closed to new replies.