Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • CX bike suggestions
  • ferrals
    Free Member

proper CX this is, none of your soft core crushed aggregate riding malarky. 1hr at 190bpm, around a playing field, while Willy the groundskeeper weeps at the sight of grass becoming mud.

This will be my third season of cx, been riding a pretty heavy sora equipped Ridley, and now I’m stating to get the hang of it am thinking about getting something lighter for next season.

Requirements:
    1) tubeless ready wheelset
    2) a front derailleur
    3) zero percent finance
    4) significantly lighter than existing bike (its around 11kg I think)
    5) ideally sub £2k

Any thoughts? need to weigh up options and then negotiate with the keeper of the purse

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

its around 11kg I think

😯

My SuperX is more like 8kg.

a front derailleur

puts you in a minority which might be to your advantage, as everyone is 1x now there might be some bargains about?

Contrary to STW traditions I am going to recommend NOT buying what I own, a bargain new-old-stock C’dale SuperX. Brilliant bike with appalling mud clearance at the chainstays. They’ve sorted it for 1017 but any bargain older models will suffer and I wouldn’t buy again.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I have a Norco Threshold. Had a SuperX before this.

Prefer the Threshold.

jamiep
    Free Member

No recommendation (Ive a Planet X XLS, around 8.1kg with 1x and better, non-anchor wheels) but a lot in my Club have Ridley ‘cross bikes (the shop which we are associated with stocks Ridley). I have noticed they are very heavy (in all but the higher end frames)

ferrals
    Free Member

appalling mud clearance at the chainstays.

Ah yes, thats another requirment – good mud clearance as I don’t have a pit crew!

re. the front derailleur, one of my favourite things about cx is hitting a flat section shifitng up into the big ring and going for it. There’s something pschological about it i think i’d miss 😆

edit. I’m tempted to blow my budget as its money i don’t own anyway and get a stevens superprestige for £2.4k

jonba
    Free Member

Rose, Canyon, Ribble

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Kinesis bikes are really sorted. I wouldn’t go front derailleur though. 1x is much cleaner and doesn’t trap grass/mud.

Go tubs for the ultimate performance upgrade but a pita.

Kinesis CX race frameset with planet x carbon tubs good enough for the podium. Challenge tyres on normal wheels with tubes were good enough as well.

Main thing is the rider but you need a machine that’ll get you to the finish line.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Kinesis Pro6 is nice
    Hunt wheels or maybe kinesis HD CX wheelset
    Shop around using voucher codes, Offers and cashback to get the best mix of shimano 105 / ultegra drive train bits and brakes.

Consider going 1×11 and get a NW front ring (were very cheap on superstar the other day)
    Could always get some 2nd hand parts like cranks, stem, bars etc

steve_b77
    Free Member

Could always get the frame of choice and a set of Stans Grail buit at superstar in their 33% off wheel sale. Mine have been faultless

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Focus are ace. Well worth a look.

Giant TXC, maybe?

qwerty
    Free Member

Some of those Specialized ones come in pretty colours.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Giant tcx slr1 or advanced. Loads of mud clearance and plenty around for pretty much any price point.

flybywire
    Free Member

Buy my Giant tcx slr2 if you’re medium/large, it’s a new/unused 2016frameset means no finance! 😀 £220 includes new bb,headset. Also very good condition bars,stem, seatpost,chainset and saddle.
    Has LOADS of mud clearance, handles well, comfy and sprightly.

You can then go 1 x 11 and spec your own wheels & tyres 😉

cookeaa

As it’s a race bike and both weight and cost are a factor, would you consider rim brakes? Most suggestions so far seem to be disc framesets…

darrell
    Free Member

nothing amazing to say other than I have a 3 yr old Fuji and it is excellent

and fairly cost effective

no idea what the new ones look like but as a brand don’t dismiss them

ferrals
    Free Member

@cookeaa, no disc only I think. Am used to riding with discs at the mo and also canti’s seem to be another clog point.

Focus are ace

will have to look at them as local shop sells them

Hadn’t really thought of Giant.

I do like the look of the kinesis a lot, initially had thought didnt want to build up from parts, but if i went down the route of getting an interest free credit card for the purchase could use my existing wheels (stans iron cross), get a discount groupset and some decent finishing parts for a reasonable amount.

ferrals
    Free Member

Anyone riding a Boone? Seen a good interest free deal

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-05EFHTRShY[/video]

daddyoe
    Free Member
    LS
    Free Member

Sell the Ridley, add it to your 2.4k budget and buy two identical bikes at around £1500 each.
    Sack off the tubeless and go tubs (factor this in to the budget, so maybe 2x £1250 bikes), you can pick up very nice s/h tub wheels for £100 and a pair of Dugasts or FMBs will be around £150 per bike.

There’s no point at all having one superbike and one ratty spare.

gasgasser
    Free Member

There might be a 2015 Giant tcx1 slr in the for sale section 😀

shedbrewed
    Free Member

My Canyon had excellent mud clearance but was harsh to ride and a real pita to work on. Wouldn’t recommend.
    Current XLS is pretty good for mud and easier to work on. Both came in at 8.2kg.
    Both 1×10.
    Tubs Tubs Tubs Tubs.

Having now broken my back I’m looking at a Boone purely for the sloppy seatpost.

ferrals
    Free Member

How is the recovery going? They look to have lots of mud clearance and I reckon the seatpost woul really help places like Foxley in the dry.

@LS, I’m not convinced I can get away with two cx bikes (as much for garage space as anything) so would probably sell Ridley to fund new one, though after being thrashed for two seasons and commuted on it’s probably only worth a few hundred quid.

LS
    Free Member

Fair enough! But please don’t spaff 2k on a cross bike and then not run tubs. You’re throwing the biggest performance gain straight out of the window.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@ferrals Recovery is going ok I think. Back in for X-ray Wednesday to see how the breaks are doing. Hoping I can take the brace off for sleeping then.

Make sure you get Tubs.

ferrals
    Free Member

Do you put sealant in the tubs or just accept if they puncture they puncture? I’m [edit] sub nine stone should be sub nine stone by cx season so can get away with sub 20psi in tubeless but i guess tub casings are much more supple.

edit 2. didnt see your post thom, good to hear, hope x ray is positive

LS
    Free Member

I only put sealant in if and when they puncture, it doesn’t happen very often (cursed myself for next season now of course!) unless it’s a bonkers course like Bieles.

ferrals
    Free Member

Budget been reduced a bit, and lots of bikes now seem totally out of stock till next season. Thinking about the focus bikes. How’s the mud clearance? I was hoping for bridgeless seatstays but not vital, however from what I can see there is a big ledge behind the BB? That’s a bit of a poor design imo

dovebiker

Another vote tubulars – and stretch yourself to two pairs of wheels if you don’t want to to have 2 bikes e.g. a pair with mud tyres and a pair of intermediates. If the courses are muddy, a front mech only functions as a mud-collector, better go with a 1X transmission. I run sealant in my tubs.

ferrals
    Free Member

Also.. whats happened to Ridley in the UK? seems like very few stockists now?

simondbarnes

Also.. whats happened to Ridley in the UK? seems like very few stockists now?

I thought they were quite big in the UK at the moment? I work in a shop that stocks them. There are still a few 2017 bikes available – X-Ride 105, X-Ride Rival 1…

ferrals
    Free Member

Ah really, I couldnt find many places online via google shopping, was thinking about the X-night 105.

bobfleming

Another vote for Boone here and good deals at the moment on a 5.

I’ve only just started cross racing but loving the handling and ride of Boone even with prolasped lumber disc! Just me thats too slow!

ferrals
    Free Member

and good deals at the moment on a 5

Thats what i was thinking but unfortnuantely local dealer said they didnt have one in my size and none showing up in trek stock either. Might have to phone around a bit and see if any shops have them in stock. See them advertised for £1750 which would be an absolute bargain.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So what you getting then ferrals?

ferrals
    Free Member

Focus Mares 105, should have picked it up last week but when it arrived there was a rub in the paint through to the carbon through shipping so had to go back and get a new one shipped. Wheels aren’t great but they’ll do and frame is same as their top of the line one so will be worth upgrading in due course.

Problem is I now have to find some fitness and cx skill both of which have deserted me!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice that. Idly browsing CX bikes here for a winter’s racing.

Wheels… get some tubs… apparently 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

What are you shortlisting? If i lived nearer london I’d find it hard to see past a trip to pedalon to look at the Trek booones which are reduced by 30% there. I didnt go for one because its collect in store only.

barrykellett
    Free Member

For anyone in the market:
    https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/cannondale-caadx-apex-1-cyclocross-bike-2017-p304752

Plus 10% off using the Tour10 code making it £899! Unbelievable!

mrblobby
    Free Member

What are you shortlisting? If i lived nearer london I’d find it hard to see past a trip to pedalon to look at the Trek booones which are reduced by 30% there. I didnt go for one because its collect in store only.

Just down the road from me. I’m tempted. Hesitation is post mount and future hassle. There’s always a reason something’s heavily discounted 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘CX bike suggestions’ is closed to new replies.