• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by aP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • CX: Advice wanted (Wilier Mortirolo Cross)
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of getting a bike for roadwork, commuting and a spot of hika-a-bike style silyness, I think I’ve found, what to me, looks like a bit of a bargain (Ex-Photo Shoot, Discontinued) , this is it:

Wilier Mortirolo Cross

Its the following build:

Colour – Carbon/Red
    Crank – Ritchey 170mm
    Front Mech – Campag Veloce
    Rear Mech – Campag Veloce
    Rims – Fulcrum R7
    Tyres – Michelin Cyclo Cross Jet
    Handlebars – ITM Racer 44cm
    Stem – ITM Racer 120mm
    Seat Post – Ritchey Carbon Pro
    Saddle – Selle Italia C2

Its original price was in 2008 was £1699

but its on sale as an ex photoshoot/demo bike for Price: £1,099.00 (Including VAT at 15%) + Carriage – £18

Now I could get that on my works Cyclescheme as my Orange is about to run out anytime now!

Does anyone have one of these? I know Wilier are a good marque but how about this model?

I’m out of my comfort zone and I want to spend wisely, all advice much appreciated!!

MrNutt
    Free Member

no one? is there not a single Wilier owner here? 🙁

scottishcyclocross
    Free Member

cables routed under the top tube, crap for carrying the bike

oldgit
    Free Member

Hmmm be weary MrNutt of the carbon at any cost, It’ll probably be a superb riding bike, but it does have some unusual features considering it carries a cx tag.

MrNutt
    Free Member

OG now you’re giving me the fear!

I’m not really a fan of plastic and I was trying to convince myself that it all wouldn’t end in an expensive tangle of wire and a cloud of black dust!

any suggestions as to an alternative for about £1000.00??

sparsons
    Free Member

There’s the Genesis Croix De Fer, Cotic Road Rat or Singular Peregrine, all in steel for longevity.

oldgit
    Free Member

I did’nt mean it like that, quite the opposite it’s probably built like a brick ****house.
    Not looked about, but there’s always mention of Cube and Focus.

sparsons
    Free Member

If lightweight is your thing, there’s PLanet X ‘s Uncle John which is quite a nice ride.
    Are you after Disc brakes or would you be satisfied with Rim Brakes?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d prefer disks to be honest, memory’s of careering down hilly fields on my old racer, squeezing the brakes as hard as I could to no avail still haunt me!!

mmm singular, that was my original plan actually but then how do they weigh in?

JoB
    Free Member

the Focus at 1K is an absolute steal

aP
    Free Member

……….or the Pinnacle Expede at Evans or the BMC CX02 at wiggle (which I kinda bought one of 2 weeks ago).

sparsons
    Free Member

Ref The Peregrine, there’s a C+ (am I allowed to say that here?) review on Flickr (search for Singular cycles). It was well recieved, versatile and wieghed about 27lb from memory.
    Only size S frames in stock currently until June according to the Singular Site this morning.

MrNutt
    Free Member

agh! I can’t read the review on flickr!! 🙁

gingerflash

“cables routed under the top tube, crap for carrying the bike”

In the general all-body pain that is CX, I doubt he’ll notice a little cable stop digging into his shoulder!

I wanted a light and racey bike and went for the Scott CX Comp. It’s about 21.5 as standard and it’s lost about 1.5lb since. It’s a fast bike, but not a comfy one.

aP
    Free Member

I think that when you come across a bike which has made such a fundamental error in design as putting a cable stop in the portage spot then you’d have to wonder what else they’ve got wrong, and mini-vs as well.
    Looks like the gearing is pretty much ok though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘CX: Advice wanted (Wilier Mortirolo Cross)’ is closed to new replies.