• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cp.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • CX 1×10 Questions
  • avdave2

Having had my cx bike all of a day I’m already thinking of going 1×10. My other bikes run 1×9 and a Rohloff so as you can tell I quite like simple gear changing. However I have a question.

Am I right in thinking that my Tiagra 10 speed shifter will give me 10 speeds if combined with for example a 10 speed 11-36 xt cassette and a 9 speed xt dérailleur?

Thanks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes.But the mech might struggle a bit with the 36.

avdave2

Thanks Rorshach, I could go for 11-34 as an alternative.

Edit: A little more research suggests that it will work with a 36 if it’s a shadow 9 speed.

cp

On my Boardman Team CX, for CX racing, I use 105 10 speed sti’s, 9 speed deore rear mech and XT 11-34, with a 42T single ring up front.

Works perfectly.

avdave2

Thanks, for the sake of 2 teeth I’ll probably go with a 11-34 then unless someone comes along to say 36 is working fine for them. That does seem to be the conclusion on other forums but other forums are not STW! 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

105 sti,sram 11-32/38 up front and an old xt mech.

avdave2

Rorschach & cp are you using long or medium cages and does it matter? I know in normal circumstances a medium would be fine for a single ring set up but does the combining of road shifters and a mtb mech/cassette change anything? I can’t see how it would but I’d like to be sure.

Thanks

thesurfbus
    Free Member

11-36 works fine with my 9 speed XTR rear mech (long cage), 40T up front as well.

cp

I use a long cage – as I use it with a double as a winter bike as well after the CX season (and it’s what I had lying around!)), but you should be fine with a medium cage.

sefton
    Free Member

A long cage could collect more mud resulting in more mechanicals during a race

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Sorry for being thick but why a 9 speed rear mech with 10 speed everything else?
    Asking as I’m thinking of doing similar.

avdave2

It works because the pull ratio of 9 speed Shimano mtb derailleurs is the same as the pull ratio for 10 speed Shimano road levers whereas the pull ratio of Shimano 10 speed mtb is different to either.

avdave2

Thanks again all, time to start checking the classifieds for 9 speed mechs, hopefully all the upgrading to 10 speed should mean theres a few about. I’m watching a couple on ebay as well.

cp

time to start checking the classifieds for 9 speed mechs, hopefully all the upgrading to 10 speed should mean theres a few about

Unfortunately not!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘CX 1×10 Questions’ is closed to new replies.