Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Cwmcarn – Whats It Like These Days
  • skybluestu
    Free Member

Not been for a few years but planning on a trip this Friday. Any advice/trail closures currently?
    Hoping to do both main trails and the dh? Doable in a day?

argee

That’ll be a lot of miles and climbing in a day, take it you mean the two reds (Cafall and Twrch) and the DH being Y Myndd one?

There’s loads to do up there though, not done the new bit on the red, but hearing it’s a bit of a let down from others, but Twrch and Cafall are always decent rides out, but after doing both of those a trip to the top to do a DH run wouldn’t be on my to do list!

Probably best just to get up there and enjoy as much as you can, the blue is a nice mess about as well (Pwca) and you can just mess about a bit as well on some of the lower bits of the DH trails, weathers looking good as well so the trails should be nice on Friday.

Not sure about any trail closure stuff, was a few weeks i was last up, but it was running well then, and not heard of any closures from folk who were up the other day, except a DH run or two i think.

skybluestu
    Free Member

All sounds good to me. Thanks for the pointers!

peter1979
    Free Member

That’s a lot of climbing for one day. Even on an ebike I was nackered after doing a similar ride! 🤣

I was there a couple of weeks ago and everything was open except the middle section of y myndd just after the underpass. Only the upper rooty section was open and not the lower drops sections. Both xc trails were open and running well.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you’ve not been for a while Twrch will feel weird without the trees but both red xc trails are riding well.

PhilO
    Free Member

Pwca was closed when I was up there with the dog a couple of weeks ago, but I’ve not found anything online to explain why so it may have been a short-term thing.

joebristol

Both reds are running ok. I like a Cafell / Twrch day – I’d normally have a bite to eat and 30 min chill out between them. Do Cafell first as that’s the bigger climb.

If you’re a bit tired after Cafell you can ride to the top of the Twrch on the nice newly surfaced road and just ride down the fun bit.

The blue is amusing – the best bits are after the first tight right hand bend after the climb. Swoopy rollers and hat can be gapped etc.

The lack of trees in some places have given the whole place a different feel. Bit more barren and rocky rather than swoopy and loamy – particularly the Cafell main descent. I prefer the Pedalhounds descent from the top of Cafell these days.

Pwca (the blue) was closed a few weeks back due to some fallen trees. Not sure if it’s back open again yet or not.

v7fmp

i was there on sunday, for the very first time. what a great place!

I was with a couple of guys that have been before, so didnt bother with the official trails. We headed to the unofficial/official stuff. Did Conda, Wacko Jacko, Busy Lizzie, johnduro plus a few others. All great great fun.

Managed to speak to two chaps who had done 99% of the digging, real nice guys. they have quite the play ground!

i will defo be returning!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t want to come over all keyboard warrior, but I’m fat and middle-aged and can ride both red at CC in a day.. the trick is to cheat, but then I can’t stand climbing and it will only ever be a means to and end for me so I skip the worst climbs of both trails and use the fireroads / forest drive instead.

The Blue is fantastic, it’s not overly blue, in fact most people I know seem to have crashed on it at least once. It’s a long jump track really with enough elevation to get yourself into trouble and some berms that catch people over because they’re quiet steep and tight, but I guess it’s blue because if you ride it slow, it’ll pretty easy.

The new red extension isn’t great, the first bit is, but the rest really if just a way to ride back to the top of the climb before you head down the better descents at the end.

I’m told Risca Bike Park, the ‘official’ name for the un-official parts of Cwmcarn is very good, I’ve ridden bits of it and it’s certainly a step up in difficultly, you have to bear in mind that it’s steep, technical, has bigger drops and features you wouldn’t find on a Trail Centre trail and isn’t ‘surfaced’ I’m personally not brave enough to ride it in winter, but I will ride more of it when things dry out.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Agree with PJ here. I’m a middle aged trail hacker. If you do both the reds properly (not the cheating tarmac climb) its a half day. Arrive at 9:00, spend 30 minutes faffing before and after and I typically leave at 13:00.

I’d expect anyone not staring at 50 years old to be able to do it quicker without too much effort, so its perfectly possible to throw in the return climb and DH run in the same day.

I enjoy the reds a great deal in the winter. Pinning those berms properly and having a decent running surface is a real morale booster compared to my local sludge plugging.

New section is not worth the effort.
    Never ridden the blue.

Off-piste is a level up. Its steep with an unarmoured surface. They’re virtually all fall line trails and heavily eroded, increasingly so since they’ve been signed posted. If you like riding in a groove, you’ll love it.

That level of erosion and the absence of any real line choices because you’re quite literally stuck in a rut steals some of the fun for me, but they’re still worth riding if you’ve not hit them up and I still do so once in a while.

ayjaydoubleyou

In October I did exactly what you propose.
    Both reds and then rode up for a run down the DH track.
    It was extremely wet so didnt fancy the off piste.

Strava has me 22.6 miles, 4000ft, 4h19 “all in” without stopping garmin at lunch.

This was without the new red extension.

Not sure if the full DH track is open currently, the uplift is not running until Feb.

pdw
    Free Member

Does anyone else not get along with Cafall? I find the endless undulations on the climb really annoying. I usually enjoy climbing, and the Twrch climb is one of my favourites, but on Cafall you just seem to be endlessly switching between up-a-bit, down-a-bit every 20m or so I can never get into a rhythm. I can also never work out where all the climbing goes, as it doesn’t seem matched by the descents.

I’ve only done Cafall a couple of times, and both times after hammering round Twrch. Maybe next time I’ll try it with fresh legs.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I don’t want to come over all keyboard warrior, but I’m fat and middle-aged and can ride both red at CC in a day.. the trick is to cheat, but then I can’t stand climbing and it will only ever be a means to and end for me so I skip the worst climbs of both trails and use the fireroads / forest drive instead.

so you’re not riding both reds in a day then – you’re cheating at both 😉

How much you’ll manage in a day is obviously completely up to how fit you are. I’d say doing both (properly) is more than manageable for many riders.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Strava has me 22.6 miles, 4000ft, 4h19 “all in” without stopping garmin at lunch.

For the two reds, without stopping Strava gives me 2:25hrs, 26km and 770m 2500ft) climbing, so yeah. Loads of time in the day. Even if you include a lunch stop.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Its not just you @pdw – I find it the same. Throw in a bit of slower running dampness and it becomes very annoying. Given that the descent off the top doesn’t have the same feeling now the trees are gone, I don’t bother with it so much.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Is there a public shower open at Cwmcarn visitors centre now?

skybluestu
    Free Member

Where do i find the offpiste/risca bp stuff?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Trailforks.

radbikebro

Hoping to do both main trails and the dh? Doable in a day?

Twrch trail runs A LOT nicer in the wet than Cafall does in my opinion. Y Myndd is running nicely, they’ve done a fair bit of work on it and you only have the one option after the tunnel at the moment.

I took a friend down some of the off-piste stuff the other day which I really love. However, unless you’re happy riding very steep natural gnarly trails I’d leave it well alone (especially in the wet) and stick to the official trails.

All doable in a day definitely depends on your fitness. Sub 3 hours for both trails is pretty easy to do, I’ve never wanted to pedal all the way up again to do the DH as I don’t really think it’s worth the effort – I tend to just add it on as the decent of Twrch

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I must admit I LIKE the double red loop – proper challenge of your fitness & skill. Twrch particularly after Cafall has some genuinely challenging sections when tired. MTB isn’t meant to be easy after all..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If it was easy, every bugger would be doing it!

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I get the bit about it not being easy, but it needs to be fun too – else whats the point? I’d imagine many truck up to Cwmcarn by car – if you’ve invested in a day to ride, and the resultant travelling commitment, then you kinda want to have fun as well non?

ETA: I know fun is subjective, and there are those who see fun in an entirely different way to others, but for me, as a fat middle aged knacker, fun is in shorter supply, and climbs hurt these days

Daffy

Also agree @pdw

mrlebowski
    Free Member

fat middle aged knacker

(no offence intended!)

But then you’re possibly in a minority of riders then? Get an ebike or work on your fitness would be my suggestion, or go to BPW. I believe it’s possible to ride to the top of CC on fire-road as well?

FYI I’m 51 this year so middle-aged too & I’m one of those perverts who LIKE riding uphill..

If it was easy, every bugger would be doing it!

As my old PTI would often yell at us!

Marko

Does anyone else not get along with Cafall?

The small downs on the climb don’t seem to propel you into the next mini climb. However I’ve only ridden it once, so it might be possible to get a bit more momentum to carry you up the next incline. I did enjoy the tight ‘hairpees’ though – best of luck on those with a long bike 😄.

I’d much rather it went straight up.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m one of those perverts who LIKE riding uphill..

As long as its fun and interesting I don’t actually mind if its up or down. It’s why I quite like the Twrch singletrack climb. You wont find me enjoying a fire-road or tarmac climb though!

nickjb
    Free Member

I quite like it. I’m not a great climber but it’s nice to mix up the climbing and descending. Makes it more of a challenge than twrch with its big climb followed by a big descent.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

(no offence intended!)

But then you’re possibly in a minority of riders then? Get an ebike or work on your fitness would be my suggestion, or go to BPW. I believe it’s possible to ride to the top of CC on fire-road as well?

FYI I’m 51 this year so middle-aged too & I’m one of those perverts who LIKE riding uphill..

That’s a little strong isn’t it? All I said was fun is subjective – so now because I don’t enjoy the ups quite as much as the next man, I’ve got to either buy an eBike or go to BPW?

I’d argue this is part of the problem in the sport to be honest – this get with us or get out attitude.

I’m working on my fitness and know all about how to cheat on the way up to the top of Cwmcarn, but I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy the ups fully – especially not the niggly Cafell. But to be made to feel like that just because I don’t enjoy the ups, I should have to forgo the satisfaction once having made it to the top is a bit rubbish.

My original statement was that fun is subjective – not that my idea of fun is better than yours.

To counter my dislike of Cafells ascent, I will say that the Twrch climbs are great fun. I might not enjoy being unfit and unable enough to dance up them like I’d like, but I do for sure enjoy the technical challenge they present – they just flow better than Cafell – which was the original point that pdw called out.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d argue this is part of the problem in the sport to be honest – this get with us or get out attitude.

I’m not sure it’s quite that. Maybe an element of not trying to make everything the same and keeping some variety. If you like a more straight forward climb then there’s twrch, if you like winch and drop then there’s bpw.

My local trail had a short rocky section. The only bit of trail like that in the whole area. Apparently it wasn’t being ridden enough (but was also getting worn out?!) so now it has been replaced with more berms just like the rest of the trails.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I still wondering how I ended up being told I shouldn’t bother with something I’ve done for 30 years just because I’m a bit unfit and don’t like a particular climb out of all of the climbs I do everytime I ride.

I don’t like quite a few climbs. I certainly don’t like the climb up into Ashton Court’s Nova trail, for example, but I choose to ride climbs I dislike because it gets me to the other good bits.

However, it irks to know that people are tutting away and suggesting that one group of riders should change a bike or go elsewhere if they’re not ‘enjoying’ the trail like they are…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Maybe your middle aged skin is getting a bit thin, Petal.

vic and bob

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ha ha,

I’ve been riding Cwmcarn for, 17 years I think!

I’ve ridden the proper climbs on both trails a couple of times, I don’t feel the need to do so again. I have a sort of love, hate thing with climbs as in, I love to hate them, but I know it’s good for me overall. I much prefer to pedal up the easy way chatting to my mates. If anyone thinks less of me because of that, they’re more than welcome to keep their opinions to themselves, but rest assured, I’ll keep on riding Cwmcarn as and how I like.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Likewise @P-Jay – I’ve pics from the early 00’s in Cwmcarn both from XC days, as well as uplift days. Didn’t like the climbs then, and I choose not to like em now!

Totally agree with your approach tho 🙂

impatientbull

For those above who’ve mentioned wanting to try the off-piste on the Risca side, you could include a trail as part of a loop of Twrch. When Twrch meets the road at the saddle between two hills ride up the road then take one of the trails on your left, which will all re-join Twrch. Busy Lizzie or Wacko Jacko would be good places to start (see Trailforks).

mrlebowski
    Free Member

That’s a little strong isn’t it? All I said was fun is subjective – so now because I don’t enjoy the ups quite as much as the next man, I’ve got to either buy an eBike or go to BPW?

My apologies if it came across as a criticism, it was not the intent. Genuinely meant as a suggestion for a more enjoyable experience. To my mind you came across as being a bit whiney about the climb being hard (seems I was wrong). I’m sure that you didn’t mean to come across in that manner. I merely suggested that there were alternatives that you might enjoy more if you didn’t enjoy the climb anymore – which it now seems you do if I’m right?

I’ll applaud anyone slogging up a climb regardless of talent but complaining about it? I’ve slightly less time for that. Trail builders put in a lot of time & effort so I’m pretty sure Rowan had a good think about how best to make the climbs fun. To my mind the ups & downs on that climb make it a challenge. Climbing a steady gradient ain’t that hard – climbing something that pitches up & down changing direction is a challenge & one I welcome. I think it runs well & it’d be a damn site more dull & tedious if it was a straight pull to the top.

You wont find me enjoying a fire-road or tarmac climb though!

Ditto!

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

@mrlebowski apology accepted – the climb is hard for me, but improved fitness would absolutely help with that. That being said, the original point was that the Cafell trail doesn’t flow quite as well, which I can understand and have a similar opinion.

I wouldn’t say I would ever complain about it though (although I might be muttering under my breath about it whilst actually ascending it) 😀

I lean more to enjoying the gravity-assisted riding, so while I can enjoy a climb, its often a means to an end to get up the climbs to enjoy the descents. I’m still a long way from giving in to the need for an eBike – so I’ll need to grind up the top for a while longer – but sneak up the tarmac bits so as to save some energy for the descents 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

If you do twrch do the new link bit as well, and when I was there a few weeks back the bit round the back after the silly steep concrete ramp.( hidden valley, or is that afan) was shut.

joebristol

Nah Neil – you whine up every hill (as opposed to me whining about steep tech and roots)

pdw
    Free Member

I’ll applaud anyone slogging up a climb regardless of talent but complaining about it? I’ve slightly less time for that. Trail builders put in a lot of time & effort so I’m pretty sure Rowan had a good think about how best to make the climbs fun. To my mind the ups & downs on that climb make it a challenge. Climbing a steady gradient ain’t that hard – climbing something that pitches up & down changing direction is a challenge & one I welcome. I think it runs well & it’d be a damn site more dull & tedious if it was a straight pull to the top.

My original comment wasn’t intended as a complaint. I was just genuinely curious about whether others find it the same as me. I’d like to think that on a mountain biking forum we can have a sensible discussion about which trails we do and don’t like and why!

I really enjoy the Twrch climb, because it is a challenge in places, and it’s probably most of the appeal to me of visiting Cwmcarn.

By contrast, I don’t find the Cafall climb particularly difficult or challenging, I just find myself getting annoyed with it. I think I’m probably just slow to switch between “up mode” and “down mode”.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Twrch is the better of the 2 for sure. Cafall I like as it’s feels more of an effort & I think it’s longer? I usually do Twrch in about 2/3 of time f Cafall IIRC, but yeah I agree.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn – Whats It Like These Days’ is closed to new replies.