Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CwmCarn, is the new trail still really muddy?
  • iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve a meeting in Taunton on Thursday and was contemplating taking the bike for a quick blast on the way home
    First thoughts was a spin round Ashton Court and the woods opposite in Bristol, but I’ve done that before and getting in and particularly out of Bristol (to the north) may be a PITA
    Then I remembered the new trails at CwmCarn
    It would mean a bit of a diversion but I can easily get back up to the M50 and north from there (with the advantage of avoiding M5 past Cheltenham) – home is Derbyshire
    Reading up though seems it took a hammering opening during the bad weather, so has it dried out any, and is it worth it?
    I’ve done the older XC trail (Twych?), thought it ok but wasn’t fussed by the rooty climb (don’t mind climbing just found the roots a drag)
    As I’m on my own and will have driven 3.5hours, sat through a few hours of meeting as and have a 3 hour drive back I’d like something I don’t really have to think about to much (no self navigation) but wakes me up a little!
    Also done FoD before, nothing wrong with it but not keen on returning there on this occasion
    Anywhere else along that M5 corridor worth exploring?

Have option to take full suss, or (preferred) OnOne hardtail

wiggles
    Free Member

Guy in lbs told me it was really cut up and muddy on the weekend but have had a couple of sunny dry days in a row (I only live 15mins away)

andyv
    Free Member

Rode it on Sunday morning.

Was sticky for a small 500yd section in the trees at the top(?) Otherwise all good. Great trail that I felt was a lot of fun, climb was pretty tough. Did the Twrch trail afterwards which is rolling great.

Cheers
    Andy

timraven

Bump, thinking of going tmw.

scruff
    Free Member

Any word on the new DH trail?

stugus
    Free Member

People have been riding the new DH trail but not sure if its officially open yet – no up lift till June I was told.
    Obviously the old dh is open and has the usual uplift, its also been tweeked a little – lots of the lips have been re – shaped.

I’d say the new xc course is well worth the visit – even with the mud.

LoCo
    Free Member

New DH still not open, rode it a few weeks ago with the project enduro guys to test the track for the 4 wheeled bike, allowed by the Forestry!

Track is pretty good and not too technical with the biggest features being a few 2 foot ish drops, very fast in places and is going to get techy er as it wear with bigger rocks and roots coming through.

The Mud on the new XC, seems to be just in the very top section the climb being a bit slippy and downhill section being rather good fun a speed with you being crossed up a sliding, not really that bad tbh even when it was wet when it first opened.
    I think alot of people are used to standard trail centre dry in all weathers trails, so get a bit of a shock when they find mud on this trail that has been designed to be a bit more natural.

scruff
    Free Member

2 foot drops on a new DH trail- last go at an April 1st joke?

Trimix
    Free Member

“trail that has been designed to be a bit more natural.”

Or just badly designed.

The whole point of a trail ctr is its weather proof and not natural !

nickjb
    Free Member

If you do want to ride Ashton Court just pop in and out at the Gordano Services exit from the M5, takes 5-10 minutes. You can do the Twrch without the rooty climb if you like, the road snakes along side the trail so you can miss sections or pretty much the whole climb. Quantocks are good but do take a little navigation and might be a bit near the start of your journey.

LoCo
    Free Member

2 foot drops on a new DH trail- last go at an April 1st joke?

If that, just mentioning the features that are unaviodable so people know, the upper middle open section ridden quickly will not dissapoint 😉

The whole point of a trail ctr is its weather proof and not natural !

You’d have to ask the designer/builder about that, it is a very good trail and nice to have something a bit different.

The new XC is harder than the old xc too and probably a bit more technical is places so may not be for the OP if he doesn’t like that, but give it a go and see what you think.

Trimix
    Free Member

They probably had a tight budget to work to.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CwmCarn, is the new trail still really muddy?’ is closed to new replies.