• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cwmcarn is now fully open again
  • Alex

If you didn’t know, it’s all good. Few bits of new trail on Cafel still bedding in, but they’ve done a great job reinstating most of the last three downhills.

With all the trees gone, you can now see exactly how far you have to climb. Reminds me of Whytes after that was deforested.

Both loops is still a tough few hours. Went Saturday and the car park was pretty full, and quite a lot today when I returned for a skive ride 🙂

So if you were thinking of going, it’s fab. Also 99% dry.

fadda

Brilliant – I was there last week, and just did the Twrch, as I wasn’t 100% sure about Cafall.
    Will have to go back this week, and remind myself how good Cafall was, maybe whilst the weather holds…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Rode it Saturday, the refreshed bits are both awesome and take no prisoners. You have to be pretty pinned to not land to flat and there’s a sudden steep uphill bit with a slab at the top that you need momentum to make.

It’s sort of the same, but different and as the OP says, a bit claggy in parts, it’ll be different now, but Day 1 it was just clay-like enough to collect on the tyres which made braking a little interesting, looking forward to riding it again!

Alex

It’s still a bit tyre-filling terrifying on the new bits. Not sure my ratio of making the transitions and landing flat was that great 😉 Bit better today, it’s bedded in a lot since Saturday. Lots of riders going through.

That new uphill bit was unexpected! Got its number now tho.

P-Jay
    Free Member

That new uphill bit was unexpected! Got its number now tho.

Yeah, I’m sure it’s just after a bit where the old trail (which is blocked) goes on the high-line and the new trail below it and just as you’re get your head around that it’s “Jesus tap dancing Christ that’s a big slab” uphill.

I reckon it’ll be 4 or 5 rides before I ‘learn’ it, and it’s going to be blazing fast when it’s bedded in and dry, proper Cwmcarn style.

qwerty
    Free Member

👌

tetrode
    Free Member

I was going to go do Cafall on Sunday but came down with the flu instead, gutted! I hope it’s still dry by this weekend, I’d love to give it a proper go.

Alex

Aside from the where the new trails are, it’s 100% dry. There’s probably 500m of mud. One claggy fireroad, a few muddy bits at the top of one of the climbs and a couple of berms. And that’s it!

bonni

Alex, thanks for the update. Is that it then – no more scheduled closures for a while?

Skive ride eh? You’ve got me looking out of the window of my office!

Alex

I don’t think so. There aren’t many trees left! The Uplift was looking full on Saturday as well which is good news. BPW nearly killed that I think.

It was a fantastic day for a skive ride. Blue skies and +9 at the end. Dry trails and no one on them. Looking at the forecast for the next few days, this was a very good decision 🙂

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Ideal, I’ve got the next 3 Fridays off so I foresee a trip to Wales.

kcal

Good of you to take one for the team and check it out @Alex 🙂

Alex

Yeah I thought so. It’s terrible that some people don’t see what a sacrifice I’m making 🙂 I might make another one today if I can get this work finished… lovely out at the mo but rain coming.

molgrips
    Free Member

Great stuff, I’ll have to head over there.

hooli

Good news, I used to go quite often. Although, I seem to have misplaced my fitness which may be a problem with that bloody climb.

Keva
    Free Member

Brilliant news I’ve not been for ages, will try and head over on Sunday.

reluctantjumper

Rode it Sunday afternoon, very strange without the trees. So happy they managed to save a few bits like the twisted trees near the top but sad the fast blast between the pines just after has now gone. The new jumps near the end are an interesting choice, could cause some issues if people don’t know they’re there but I can see why they put them in, replaces what was made by the roots that are now gone. Makes a few hours doing both trails a good workout again.

eskay

Anybody ridden Cwmcarn today? I am thinking about going over tomorrow and wondered what the conditions are like.

frogstomp

@eskay – we were up there yesterday and it was running really well – a few puddles and a couple of short churned up sections on Cafal but nothing major. The lack of trees has made the old muddy bits less so.

madedgar
    Free Member

I was up there this morning, quick lap of Cafall, running well, bit of mud in some places, but nothing serious. One section still closed towards the end, little descent between a couple of fireroads, which means you miss a minute or two of single-track descent with a fireroad instead so not too bad really.
    But today it was so windy on the West side of the hill it was really hard to gain momentum and keep it going. Should be better tomorrow.
    Sad to see all the trees gone, different feel about it now. Still good though!

eskay

Thanks!

eskay

Got over early this morning and did cafall first, absolute mud fest!!
    Did twrch afterwards and that seems to have held up much better to the overnight rain.

Forgot how tough Cafall was!

qwerty
    Free Member

I went today: it’s a bit like having a pubic hair fetish, and finding out that your partner’s now shaven….

eskay

Well, I have to say that didn’t cross my mind!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn is now fully open again’ is closed to new replies.