Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cwmcarn – Any diversions?
  • ready

Planning on riding Cwmcarn on Sunday. Does anyone know of any diversions?

zilog6128

I was there last Thursday. Didn’t ride Twrch because AFAIK the middle bit is still closed, rode Cafall instead which was great (and fully open)

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Planning on heading there myself tomorrow.

Hopefully I’ll remember this and update

Alex

I have a GPX which ignores the rubbish descent after the diversion and takes you an alternative route that drops you half way up the climb on the new trail… email in profile if helpful.

zilog6128

lol, for anyone who REALLY hates their legs!! Actually I’d be interested in that, depending on how long the Twrch diversion will be in place for (as I will be back there but not for a month at least)

ready

Is that the same diversion from about a month ago??

ready

Thanks for the replies so far too.
    Baldiebenty, I might just refresh this thread over the weekend to jog your memory if you don’t mind?

JackHammer

There’s a diversion? 😯

baldiebenty
    Free Member

@ready : Early Friday would be the best idea. To catch my first venture into STW for the day and jog my atrocious memory

pablogt
    Free Member

I was planning on doing Twrch Saturday for the first time. Would it be better doing Cafall instead because of the diversion?

dyls

I did twrch today and it was only 10km. However im unsure if i made a wrong turn though!!

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Yep, Diversion on Twrch is still in place I took a photo of the trail details at the trail head.

Trail details

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Rode Cadfall yesterday, no diversions, riding sweet.

mark90
    Free Member

Bump

Is the diversion on Twrch still in place?

From what I gather it misses out most of the last descent from Castle valley down to the final fire road crossing. Is it possible to get across to the DH track from the start of the diversion as an alternative descent?

mark90
    Free Member

Heading there tomorrow, anyone know the current situation?

P-Jay
    Free Member

mark90 – Member

Bump

Is the diversion on Twrch still in place?

From what I gather it misses out most of the last descent from Castle valley down to the final fire road crossing. Is it possible to get across to the DH track from the start of the diversion as an alternative descent?

Yeah that’s the route, it’s a long-term diversion as they’ve got to the trouble of building bits of temporary trail to do it.

Darrell is still uplifting the DH so there’s no reason why you couldn’t. At the diversion either head left – short but steeper road to the top or straight on, longer, less steep – turn off the road at the junction – there used to be a wooden statue of a guy holding a broken bike at the turn but it’s been years since I took the bus.

I would guess the diversion is still in place, I follow the trail crew, Cwmdown and the Ranger on FB and there’s be nothing to suggest it’s re-opened. It was a nice little after-work right when the evenings were getting shorter, but it’s not really worth the climb IMHO now, but it’s a decent alternative end to Cafall, avoid the last bit down to the car park after you cross the road at the end, head back up the road.

mark90
    Free Member

Nice one thanks 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

I thought you could only do the DH track if you were on the uplift as the bus has to go through a live work site? There’s definitely always been fences across the roads at the start of the diversion when I’ve been up there. If you can get through then great but just be careful not to be in bits you shouldn’t be, they might close all access down if it’s deemed dangerous.

mark90
    Free Member

Will be sure to keep out of live working areas, don’t want to jeopardise access.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn – Any diversions?’ is closed to new replies.