Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cwmcarn
  • jp4urio
    Free Member

Evening all, planning a trip to the newly opened wonders of Wales this weekend and planning to try out Cwmcarn.

Looking at the official site, some of the trails have sections shut for works with diversions, and others are adjusted for social distancing. Are these works significant, does anyone know how they’re riding? Fully appreciate the need for both, if they’re still awesome I’ll head over but if they’re a shadow of themselves for now I’ll spend the time at another spot!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I was there in November & the only new new section was the upper part of the final decent.

daveylad
    Free Member

I cant help but glad to hear wales is open & if so will visit shortly to explore the risca side & ride the DH track.
    If you go can you update on how the carpark works now? It was a pain to find 3 or 4 quid previously let alone these days after not really using cash for 12 months.

schmung
    Free Member

I didn’t see anything shut yesterday when I rode around, all the downhill stuff open and all the bits of the XC that I could see. I haven’t seen them doing anything with the parking meters so I should think that still works the same as before.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Looking at the official site, some of the trails have sections shut for works with diversions, and others are adjusted for social distancing.

I think that’s old news. Rode Cafal a couple of days after the ‘stay at home’ order ended here in Wales and I’ve ridden Twrch twice since, including yesterday evening. They’re were both fully open.

I don’t know about the new-ish blue, I haven’t ridden it in ages.

There’s a whole new trail that’s not opened yet, frustratingly it’s finished, but they need signage to open it, any day now, it heads off about half way around Twrch, haven’t a clue where it goes.

reluctantjumper

It’s all open and the car park machines are currently covered up and switched off. Running well too. If they do have the pay machines working it’s still £3 for over 2hrs.

There’s a whole new trail that’s not opened yet, frustratingly it’s finished, but they need signage to open it, any day now, it heads off about half way around Twrch, haven’t a clue where it goes.

I tried to follow it last week, no idea where itjoins back up with anything. Be interesting to se what combinations it opens up.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I tried to follow it last week, no idea where it joins back up with anything. Be interesting to se what combinations it opens up.

When they first announced it, they said it was to make it easier to link Cafal with Twrch… I don’t know about all that, on the face of it, it leaves Twrch just as it’s getting into it’s stride, it’ll have to be a good descent in it’s own right otherwise it’s a lot of climbing to miss the best bits (I don’t enjoy climbing much).

There’s also a new bit of trail which ends on ‘Giants finger’ that looks all but done, it could be the same trail I suppose?

https://thumbsnap.com/s/LVJayhud.jpg

reluctantjumper

I’d heard the same too about it being a better link, will have to be spectacularly good to beat doing the Cafall and the either the full climb of the Twrch or the road. Will wait and see, hopefully not too much longer.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Looking like I’ll make a trip up next Friday then as it must be dry & dusty.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Looking like I’ll make a trip up next Friday then as it must be dry & dusty.

Yeah it is, it’s still very loose due to a lack of traffic over the last couple of months, but it’s riding well.

salad_dodger

Just back from a quick spin round Cwmcarn. All the parking machines are covered up so no need to hunt for any change when you get there.

chakaping
    Free Member

I may be in the area quite soon.

Any pointers for the off-piste Risca trails to the south of the trail centre?

jp4urio
    Free Member

Cheers for the insights all, super useful!

Headed over this morning, insane weather – 19C in Wales in April?! Fantastic.

I’m weird and really enjoy climbing but there was a lot of it which wasn’t often broken up, followed by fun, very fast descents that seemed to be over very quickly. Not as much tech as I’m used to in the FoD and elsewhere.

Enjoyed it, being so stony and open I expect it drains well, so will keep it for wet months whilst the stuff in the trees elsewhere is finally dry.

Can also confirm the carpark is still free, machines are still donning covers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn’ is closed to new replies.