Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • CV’s…How long is too long?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Well renton, I’d say if they acted like that it was unlikely they were going to take you forwards – they don’t sound like buy signs. I must admit, I wouldn’t have asked to pull out a pad of paper, I would have done my best to memorise 2 or 3 key questions to raise. Tbh I normally weave my questions into the interview itself rather than wait for the end.

If they were ‘whats the pension’ etc… type questions I’d have waited for the offer to come in, and discuss with HR.

Interestingly my companies HR dept are saying they are modernising and no longer require cover letters, just a 2 page CV and a single panel interview. I always quite liked a good cover letter.

renton
    Free Member

I felt the questions were relevant to be honest:

I asked what they would expect of me in the first 6 months.

I asked about continued professional development.

I asked who I would report into.

I had my book to take notes. Was told it shows you are interested in the role ? If it’s bad I will know fornnext time

I’ve not asked about salary or package yet as was told that’s not the done thing on the first interview.

ibnchris

The questions asked by the candidate are a key part of my interview process. Intelligent questions about the company, its vision and your role in it show you are a strong candidate. The only one I probably wouldn’t have asked is who you’ll be reporting in to. Unless you mean, which position in the company, in which case fine.

What kind of role are you going for?

DT78
    Free Member

I don’t think taking a note book is necessarily bad but it depends on the role. If it has lots of relationship type stuff there is a risk the notebook could become a barrier or stunt the conversation as you write stuff down and break eye contact.

I have a notebook in the car, straight after the interview I make as many notes as possible. I try to write every single question I was asked down and how I answered and whether I was happy with the answer. Focusing mostly on those I didn’t feel went well.

Tbh most of my interviews are normally 50:50 with me asking as many questions as them, but its weaved into the conversation. Another way you could have asked the who you report to question could have been at a point the role is being described, ask how it fits within the organisation, who the roles key customers and stakeholders are, etc…

It does really depend on th3 role

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback guys.

The role is a H&S/quality role for what used to be a small paint/powdercoating making business but then got bought out by a large American company.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘CV’s…How long is too long?’ is closed to new replies.