Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • CVs
  • rickmeister

INA, re Linked in, everyones different but in your situation right now, I wouldn’t Linkedin. If you don’t get the job what happens then with the person on your network? Ditch them ? You have only seen them for 20mins and a phone call… don’t appear desperate…

I would manage it professionally outside of Linkedin (calls, mail etc), then if it goes horribly horribly right and your successful, Linkedin after. (IMHO)

wallop

Revamping my CV. Or trying to.

How do you demonstrate soft skills? Ironically I want to say I have good communication, planning and organisational skills but don’t seem to be able to articulate them! 😆

rudebwoy
    Free Member

gonna go old skool– papyrus with squid ink and blood for effect

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cheers_drive

Soft skills should be implied by your experience. They will assess if your style of soft skills fits if you get to interview stage.

I’m about to revamp my CV; alarm bells are ringing with the lack of work at the moment. Luckily my boss resigned this week which has given me some breathing space.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Wallop – How do you know you have good communication skills? Give an example of where you have achieved something through your ability to communicate and what was the result.

Same with planning – What have you planned, what did it deliver and how was success measured? Example: Managed project planning and delivery for a £xxx contract, identifying key deliverables, risks and dependencies. Managed key stakeholders and delivered the project on time to budget providing client xxx with a new revenue generating stream worth £xxx over x years.

Organisation – what have you organised (that wasn’t organised before) and what was the benefit (time, cost, efficiency, speed to market, turnaround time, quality…. remember you should provide a measure i.e. drove quality improvements resulting in a project defect reduction of x%)?

Good luck! It’s difficult and time consuming to do (if you’re me) but worth it when you’ve nailed it.

wallop

That’s good stuff – thanks. I think I need to get my head around the fact that I can’t convey what I need to in bullet points, which is how my CV is currently set out.

cheez0
    Free Member

84% of our clients get new careers via the unadvertised job market

Would i need crystal ball skills to find a job here?

Oh, and why dont CV and interview pro’s NOT have the best jobs?

rickmeister

Cheez0… Crystal ball.. not at all. A good network and the confidence to proactively contact people or companies speculatively. 84% of our clients get roles this way. 55% are currently working, 33% get new careers within 3 months, 66% in 6 months, the rest inside a year. There is no magic here, just commitment on the clients part to do this and work this way

A lot of people who I work with have a past career path over many years of networking into roles rather than responding to adverts or working with recruiters. This does not suggest for a moment that recruiters are not helpful, just fewer of our clients are successful this way.

CV’s and recruiters have good jobs which are put into the public domain and if you respond to them you are competing against all the other folk that apply. Have a look on Reed who display the number of applicants and in many instances the little blue number bottom left can easily go into three figures. Plus if its a company site that attracts a large volume of applicants, odds are that your cv will be machine read for convenience. Where do you think that all the folk coming out of Comet and the like will be looking in the main? And your potentially amongst them looking in the same place…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20255387

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘CVs’ is closed to new replies.