Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Cutting your own hair
  • oddjob
    Free Member

As the tide seems to be on it’s way out on my head, I have decided to cut all of my hair off this evening. I bought some clippers last week and have tried them out on the kids 😈 and now I am ready to have a go on myself.

Any tips on how to not make a total mess of it and what length should I go for as the clippers are marked in mm rather than just number 1,2 etc as I recall from living in England, what should I go for? 6mm???

Liftman

the numbers reffered to mm ie a no3 is 3mm.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get it bic razored!

maccruiskeen

Depends on your hair and the shape of your head. For me if I go a bit too short I look like a bouncer, if I go shorter still I look like I escaped from an institution, if I go for the shortest I look like it would never occur to me to try to escape.

Just start with the smallest number and work up until you get a result you like

maccruiskeen

no no no no no no stop!

Start with the largest number and work down

Is it too late?

sweepy
    Free Member

Just start with the smallest number and work up until you get a result you like

😆

Liftman

😆

transporter13
    Free Member

I do mine without the guard on….already look like a bouncer anyway so it doesnt reallly matter….much cooler at this time of year too 😀

elaineanne
    Free Member

dont listen to sweepy-if you do you will be bauld 😉
    start at bigggest and work down….my hubby and son usually go for number 2….but thats quite bonehead too lol…. yeah start with number 4 or 3 if you have never used clippers b4… that way you will still have some hair left rather than no hair at all as ‘sweepy’ is suggesting… 😉 :mrgreen:

maccruiskeen

I had the guard fall off (I usually do 12mm – 18mm) and created diagonal bald stripe across the top my head, so had to take the whole lot off. Thats how I got to observe the slow transition from ‘Window Licker’, through ‘Danger to the Public’, past ‘Sorry sir, your names not on the list’ back to big friendly bloke.

yunki
    Free Member

don’t use comb attachment fer gawds sake!!

what are you.. a girl..!? some kind of beatnik..!?

cut it all off you stinking hippy..!

maccruiskeen

Contrary to what mentioned above the old style numbers are not just mm. So a no 3 and 3mm are not the same thing by a long way. I’d say a no 4 is about 12 – 15mm.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve done myself and son for years. 11mm for me and 22mm for him. Get someone to check the back for you or use two mirrors. For some reason Madame won’t let me do hers. 🙁

rocketman
    Free Member

Cut it while you still can 😉

There comes a time when it is pointless trying to ‘style’ what hair you have left so just cut it all off

maccruiskeen

dont listen to sweepy-if you do you will be bauld
    start at bigggest and work down….my hubby and son usually go for number 2….but thats quite bonehead too lol…. yeah start with number 4 or 3 if you have never used clippers b4… that way you will still have some hair left rather than no hair at all as ‘sweepy’ is suggesting…

very brave of Sweepy to take that bullet for me 🙂

birky
    Free Member

Clipper guard sizes are usually in 1/8th of an inch steps not mm

MRanger156
    Free Member

I’d for for about a 3-4mm to start with. I usually use the smallest guard but occasionally go with no guard. Its pretty easy to do yourself just go steady and repeat a lot, especially the back.

woody2000

Just be careful when using them sans guard, it’s pretty easy to cut yourself particularly at the back when you can’t see too well (this may be just me though!). Don’t go too short or you’ll need to keep re-doing it 🙂

oddjob
    Free Member

I think I used 18mm on the kids on the top and shorter at the back and sides and that looks OK. The problem is that the other half won’t get involved if she can help it so I think it’ll be 12mm all over then try to tidy up the back.

Thankfully next week will be a dead week for work so I’ll be home most of the time and then I am off for the following 2 weeks so if it is a disaster, I still have time for it to grow a bit and then go back to the hairdressers to be laughed at to get it sorted out

goog
    Free Member

I do mine every friday (No 1) I started on (No 6) several years ago so I didnt scare myself to much 😯

joolsburger
    Free Member

Make sure your bonce can support the shaven look first.

supertramp
    Free Member

I have found it works better if your hair is a little damp!

chickadee
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

Contrary to what mentioned above the old style numbers are not just mm. So a no 3 and 3mm are not the same thing by a long way. I’d say a no 4 is about 12 – 15mm.

Which I learnt in France once when I asked in my best franglish for a “Numero trois sur tous, s’il vous plait”. 😯

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m like number 2 over everything…

Reminds me of what happened in our 2 year old sons bed the other night 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Noooo! They refer to eighths of an inch

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

have decided to cut all of my hair off this evening. I bought some clippers last week and have tried them out on the kids and now I am ready to have a go on myself.

Remember of course if you go for full bald, your follicles still produce oil (sebum?) which will make your head feel really clammy and oily

xcstu
    Free Member

No. 2 for sure can’t go wrong 🙂

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Don’t see what the fuss is about?
    All mine fell out years ago just clipper the remainder as not to look obviously bald.
    Lost all the guards a few years ago so no choice on length anyhow.

As for head feeling oily and clammy you just need to stop thinking its your head and just except your face has got much bigger?

Haze

Straight in with a 2, anything above is just playing.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Number one (3mm) , because that gives you the maximum time between needing haircuts.

If you can find two mirrors, one big one in front of you and one handheld one (something like a shaving mirror ), it is much easier / quicker to do the back.

donsimon
    Free Member

As said before, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    I cut to 3mm which is probably a Nº1.

tobymc

A whole world of millinary becomes yours to explore!

Dibbs
    Free Member

My clippers (Remington) are marked in mm, I’ve been using the 3mm guide for the past few years, but I need one of my daughters (wife refuses to do as she says its too short) to go over it and get the tufty bits I miss.

bruneep

Just bare blade and be done with it, been “styling” my hair like that for years.
    🙄

loddrik
    Free Member

Attachments, what a wuss, been using bare clippers for years now, sod faffing around with attachments.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I became frustrated with the poor performance of domestic clippers, babyliss and some nicky clarke ceramic bladed numbers iirc. Got some Wahl Super Tapers now and they are the business. Only 35 quid.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Grade 2 is the only way to go, you soon get used to it – after 2 weeks it looks long!!

Underhill
    Free Member

I use the bare clippers or occasionally a No 1, but I’d recommend starting on the longest attachment as it will feel quite strange if you go straight from hair to bare.

After a few cuts you’ll be ok with going shorter, at least that’s how it worked for me.

jon1973
    Free Member

My clippers (Remington) are marked in mm

mine too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Cutting your own hair’ is closed to new replies.