Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cutting through bike locks – where to start?
  • Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

My dearly beloved has lost the key to her bike lock, which is locked to her bike….
    It’s a cheapo halfords cable / padlock combo, is it going to be easiest to hacksaw the padlock or the cable? I’m thinking the later but guidance welcome before the swearing begins

Cheers

Matthew

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes, very easy. Take some molegrips to hold it still.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

How many digits is the code? If it’s 4 or less you can crack the code pretty quick

khani
    Free Member

A good smack habit is the best place to start, with the odd tin of Special brew and a spliff in between fixes, then you get a set of small bolt cutters (preferably nicked from a builders van) and a large flat headed screwdriver to finish things off…

dvatcmark
    Free Member

And a hoodie ofcourse

twohats
    Free Member

Angle grinder would see it off in about a second. Failing that, some side cutters on the cable would get through it pretty quick.

tmb467
    Free Member

Bolt cutters will have it off in a few seconds

rickt
    Free Member

If its a cheap one… Screw driver in lock barrel??

enfht
    Free Member

This is too much like that cinema scene in An American Werewolf In London

Ok how should I do it? A car crash. You can jump infront of a moving car. You can put a gun to your head. If you put it in your mouth your sure not to miss. How about Drowning?

deadkenny
    Free Member
    bellefied
    Free Member

Padlock is probably hardened steel so the chain should be easier

Northwind

Any chance of a pic? There’s not a cable lock in the world that’s any damn good but some are better than others. When my brother lost the key to his cable lock, a nice security guard from his office came and cut it free with a pair of good quality kitchen scissors 😆

Cutting wheel or grinder will be the absolute easiest option, since it’ll take out any cable with minimal fuss. Bolt cutters might just crush the cable and jam up, that’s one way they sometimes do well in “tests”, using unsuitable tools.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was going to make a recommendation but if the OP hasn’t managed to get through the lock in the 5 hours since his first post then I can only think that thieving is not the game for him.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Cut the cable with bolt cutters… Dont have bolt cutters? Gnaw through with a pair of cable cutters. Or hammer the lock till it falls to pieces.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cutting through bike locks – where to start?’ is closed to new replies.