• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m360.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cutting down to one bike… is it possible?
  • wiggles
    Free Member

So up until recently I had a Whyte G150 for mountain biking and a old raleigh mtb for commuting/hauling kids/pub bike.

Sold the G150 as fancied a new mtb and was looking at the new trek stache. In the mean time I got the Mrs a bike which she is using a surprising amount and been out on loads of rides with the kids, which is where I managed to destroy the front wheel (snapped axle) on the raleigh, it has served me well but has been in my family for 20+ years no so I am loathed to spend money on it again.

Whilst this happened I spent a lot of the G150 money on something else so the budget for the new bike has dropped a bit (around £2k) and with the Mrs bike being in the house it will be a struggle for me to go back up to 2 bikes…

Front runner at the moment will be something like a T129 or a Camber so it is enough for my mtb riding (cwmcarn and other local stuff mostly) but shouldn’t be totally crap for commuting and riding about with the kids.

Will this ever work? Will I be able to use it for everything or will I just end up buying a AWOL or a hybrid for all the other stuff anyway? In which case I don’t have to compromise so much on the type of MTB I get.

I know I am rambling a lot and don’t want anything really specific in terms of bike recommendations as I work in a bike shop so am limited to certain brands and know which ones I can get for a good price, but just want to know has anyone found a bike that does all this stuff and not just bought something else as well?

core

Mid travel full sus £1500 – £1900

Second hand hack for kids/commute rides, £100

I’m picking up a 1994 Marin Bobcat Trail this week, under £100, almost entirely original, new bb, serviced. It’ll probably be shit compared to a new bike, but smile inducing for those bimble about rides and evoke the spirit of what biking is all about to me. Not the end of the world if it dies/gets stolen at the money…..

TheBrick
    Free Member

Commuting kill s a bike ime. I would not want to be using the same bike for both. Think up a shortage solution.

wiggles
    Free Member

That is the sensible option, and I could even fix my raleigh for less than £100 but then I still have the trouble of fitting another bike inside my flat.

I tried leaving one locked up outside and it last 2 nights (it was a £30 bike!!) before it was stolen.

m360
    Free Member

Folding bike for the commute?

wiggles
    Free Member

Folder is an option, but my commute is so short I want to put as little enphansis on the bike being for that as possible.

I think I just need to find a way to cram another bike in somewhere.

RoterStern
    Free Member

m360
    Free Member

If the commute is so short I’d not bother with a 2nd bike then. Or just get a second set of wheels, cassette, and tyres/slime tubes and some clip-on mudguards for the commute.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cutting down to one bike… is it possible?’ is closed to new replies.