Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cutting carbon bars with a pipe slice….
  • Holyzeus
    Free Member

Using an adjustable one, anyone done it?
    I don’t cut very straight with a hacksaw and it would save me buying a cutting guide.
    Prob know someone with a mitre block though as a plan b

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Probably wont be of much use. I find a suitable sized jubilee clip tightend on the bar where you wish to cut makes a neat job when using a hacksaw. Have a practice on a spare piece of pipe first of course. Works great for steerer tubes also.

eskay

I would have thought a pipe slice would fracture the edge of the carbon.

Mitre block and hand saw would be my choice.

LeeW

If you use lock on grips use one of the locking collars as a guide with a hacksaw.

Do it outside and don’t breath in the dust.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

NO! It won’t work, pipe slice uses pressure and deformation to part the material, you need a saw.

Old lock on collar as a guide?

Leave them wide? Wide bars are great.

allthepies
    Free Member

I would say it’s a recipe for disaster 🙂

I’ve got a carbon steerer to cut and have just ordered the X-Lite guide from CRC. For £17 it’s peace of mind and I can always flog it on here to recoup some £££ if I find I don’t need it much in the future.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Another vote for using a lock-on grip as a guide. Oh, and a hack saw for cutting.

legend
    Free Member

Lock on + dremmel ftw

clubber
    Free Member

Controversial but could you just learn how to use a hacksaw?

new blade, gentle pressure, don’t rush it. It really is very simple.

chakaping
    Free Member

Carbon is much softer than metal, should be a fair bit easier to hacksaw?

Most people are going wider on their bars though, why not swap with someone for a narrower one?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Cheers guy’s, they are 750 Havoc’s and only taking a small piece off so swap/sell not really an option.
    Lock on’s it is

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Oh and as for cutting straight, i’m pretty good but want them perfectly straight

boxfish
    Free Member

A new 32tpi saw blade goes through carbon steerers/bars like a knife through butter

eskay

Most people are going wider on their bars though, why not swap with someone for a narrower one?

Not me, mine are chopped right down on my mtb, just like my old RockHopper from the early ’90s. It just feels right.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cutting carbon bars with a pipe slice….’ is closed to new replies.