Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cutting a handlebar past the limit mark for a child
  • wishiwascalledsteve

My daughter wanted a purple handlebar for her new bike, the only ones I could find were adult ones.
    Ordered a Six-pack Millennium riser, which is 780mm wide. The plan was to cut it to somewhere around the 650mm marks, but it has a limit mark at 750mm.
    As it’s going on a 24″ bike for a lightweight rider, what’s the likelihood of failure going past the limit?

Ta

igm

The issue is where the brakes end up.

It’s not going to fail, but you may find the brakes so far to the centre that the bar diameter has already started to widen a little and the brakes don’t fit.

akira

Think the marks are just as a guide to make sure you cut the same amount either side rather than a safety limit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rickmeister

I would guess the only problem may be as igm said about the diameter. If a grown/heavier adult is safe with a longer bar and more leverage I would very much doubt that your lighter daughter will break a shorter length.

wishiwascalledsteve

That was my thinking as well, surely the bars is stiffer towards the centre.
    Thanks for the replies

thols2

As above, the limit marks aren’t a safety limit. For carbon bars, there will probably be an insert to stop the brake and shift lever clamps crushing the bar, but for aluminium bars, the stress on the bar is reduced by making it shorter because you have less leverage. The thing to check (as above) is that the brake and shift levers can be moved that far inboard. The bar will taper near the center, so you need to make sure that the untapered section extends far enough inboard to fit everything.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cutting a handlebar past the limit mark for a child’ is closed to new replies.