Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cutgate routes and parking
  • littlerob

I’m hoping to try out cutgate next weekend (i.e. Not Easter, the one after) with some friends.

What’s a good place to park, and generally what’s the situation with parking? We’re driving about 45 minutes to get there, so wondering how early a start we should anticipate.

Anyone got any good routes? I’d like decent ride, but not massive (say 4-5 hours). Also, is it all do-able on a hard-tail? I’m thinking something like http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/peak-district-mtb-routes/cut-gate/ but perhaps extended slightly.

Anywhere to get food thereabouts, or should we plan to be self sufficient?

Thanks

LR
    (If this appears twice its because I didn’t select a forum and that appears to have thrown the first version away!)

flyingmonkeycorps

Park at Langsett Barn car park, pretty sure it’s free but it does fill up – I’d aim to be there before about half 9.

That route is grand. If you want to extend it, ride around Ladybower reservoir and pick up some of the hills around there – loads of options. It’s kinda hard to extend slightly though, ‘cos you have to ride quite a long way round the res to get the fun stuff.

There’s a cafe in Langsett and one at Fairholmes at the Ladybower end, but nothing inbetween. I’d aim to be self sufficient while you’re out.

littlerob

Ta. I should have said I’m, driving from the South (White Peak). Is it worth driving to the top, or is there somewhere to part at the southern end?

BadlyWiredDog

Also, is it all do-able on a hard-tail?

We did it on cross bikes a few years back. Hardtails are more than fine. Cross bikes are less than ideal, but got across it just fine in a slightly bumpy way.

funkybaj
    Free Member

I’ve always parked in Langsett at the car park off the A616.

South over Cut Gate. Loop around Ladybower taking in Whinstone Lee Tor, Cut Throat, etc. Pit stop in the Ladybower Inn. Then up to Hagg Farm, Lockerbrook, back around Ladybower and back over Cut Gate to Langsett.

Usually is about 4-5 hours.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1945843731

sharkattack

I’m interested in doing this as I’ve been in Sheffield ages now and still haven’t ticked it off.

We’d probably park near the fisheries as we come in from the south. Already familiar with the Ladybower loop.

When you get to the Langesett end is it best to go clockwise or anticlockwise?

If anyone has any tips for getting to the top of Win Hill I’m all ears. We’ve been up on foot and seen some of the steep stuff through the woods. We’ve got no idea how to get to the top with a bike as we scrambled up the super steep section from the dam.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

There are quite a few small carparks along Ladybower Reservoir left hand side bank – as looking from the South.

That is probably more convenient if you are traveling from the South.

Then you can start on Potato Alley or Around The Beast and move to there and back the Cut Gate and return to the car along Ladybower.

I’m sure you will need to start early doors as it tend to be packed with walkers and all the parking spaces are filling up quickly.

Cheers!
    I.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/2289840491

Did it on Sunday from Ladybower, makes a nice warm up and gives you options the end and a bit easier to get to from the south

flyingmonkeycorps

Plenty of parking at the Ladybower end, but you’ll definitely want to be there early if it’s a nice day.

@sharkattack
    – I prefer clockwise at the Langsett end, though you can mix and match as you figure out which bits you like best (on the return leg I like to drop down as if you’re going anticlockwise, but then pick up the bridleway on your left that joins the two bits and finish clockwise).

Easiest way to get to the top of Win Hill is to come up from the west on the Roman Road, but bear in mind it’s cheeky and pick your times / route carefully.

dannyh
    Free Member

It is one of my favourite rides and I drive up from the south.

Park in one of the ‘scraped back’ small car parking bits on the ‘left bank’ of Ladybower if you want to park for free (you will need to be there early, though). Or park in the slightly larger pay and display at Bridge End Pasture.

Pick the climb up straight out of this car park. Ride up to the top and turn right, ride along the ruts for a bit to a 4 way junction (with the Hagg Farm switchbacks below you to the left). Turn right at this and ride over to Lockerbrook – do the ace descent to the res road and turn left. Ride the road to the start of Cut Gate. Do Cut Gate South-North. I prefer to take the left hand option at the far end – make sure you ride it all the way until you are stopped by a gate – there is a great little rocky bit at the end. Retrace your steps up the hill until you see the left turn to North America. Go down to the ruins (great lunch spot). Then turn right and ride back up to the junction on Cut Gate proper. Ride back to Ladybower. If you are feeling fit you can then do a bit to Whinstone Lee Tor then down to Ladybower Inn.

It works out about 29 miles with the last bit added – and is one of my fave long summer day rides.

Cut Gate is awesome and riding it South-North first will hopefully let you spot the turnings to take/avoid when descending back into Cranberry Clough at the end. All of them are rideable, but if you end up on the walkers path the last steep bit is a bit hairy if you aren’t ready for it!

Pook

Dannyh’s route is a good. Takes in some of the brill PDMTB maintained tracks too.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

if your coming from the south park on the roads around ladybower. /\ and do what dannyH says $;0)

i’m riding cutgate tomorrow and the ladybower loop from langsett
    whinstone lee torr, aston upto hope cross, a side loop of the beast then potatoe alley, lockerbrook
    back to fairholmes for food/drink then east bank of res and back over cutgate

as others have said 4-5 hours its circa 58-65km and 1200-1400m,depending on the side loop of the beast

cannot wait, went upto the trig a few weeks back from langsett and it was perfect (except the bog of doom), i’d recommend clockwise around langsett, unless you can pedal well on steep rocky terrain.

ps, the north america upto the sign post has had a tonne of loose rocks dropped on them so a little techy compared to the regular route up from hingcliff hill

littlerob

When people say “be there early” what are we talking here?

littlerob

Also dannyh when you say

do the ace descent to the res road and turn left

Do you mean continue in a generally North direction and join the road by the little inlet of the reservoir, or are you talking about dropping down to the right and joining the road sooner?

LR

Tracey

At the Langsett end probably before 10am on a weekend. I was up there on Tuesday afternoon and still struggled to get a spot. Early morning rides are best on a weekend as not as many walkers around.

We tend to climb up from Langsett anticlockwise on the above map and then on the way back go down North America (turn right at the green sign) and then at the bottom go through the gate on the left and climb back up for the last down hill if that makes sense.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

last time i parked on the road towards fairholmes, half the spaces where gone by 745-8ish on a saturday morning. a bit to eat and back at fairholmes for a brew at 10ish and cars were waiting for spaces.

dannyh
    Free Member

Do you mean continue in a generally North direction and join the road by the little inlet of the reservoir, or are you talking about dropping down to the right and joining the road sooner?

Hi,

I mean ride the bridleway descent from Lockerbrook Farm down to Gores Farm (goes through the ‘m’ of ‘Gores Fm’ on the OS map above). It is a brilliant typical Dark Peak descent and saves leaving the car and riding miles on the road before you do any offroad, which is what happens if you ride direct to Cut Gate on the road.

I was up nearby last Sunday (Castleton – Mam Tor – Beast) and it was all running absolutely brilliantly. It was ruddy cold, though – but I think that won’t be a problem now, either.

littlerob

Crikey, getting up there fed and watered by 8 could be a bit of a long-shot!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Lockerbrook Farm down to Gores Farm

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47637219351_39022dd334_b.jpg

Yep, that is very good descent.

Yeah, about 8-8:30 in the morning you still got a chance for parking spot during the weekends 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

Pook

We’ve just given it a tidy too

Bridleway Maintenance Gores February 2019

Tracey

Saw that last time we were up. Made a good job of it 😁

thegeneralist
    Free Member

i’m riding cutgate tomorrow

Do you fancy meeting up in a “if I’m too slow or have a mechanical then leave me” kind of way?

I’m also thinking of a big day out tomorrow. Was thinking of maybe doing the langset loop after CG if I can be bothered.

Cheers

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@thegeneralist we’ll be setting off from langsett barn 845-9 plan circa 5 hours, it’ll be a tough one ;0)
    Black bikes whyte and a Santa , matching wheels
    Cheers
    James

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oops. Only just out of bed. Have a good day.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cutgate routes and parking’ is closed to new replies.