Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cut in tyre
  • diz

I punctured a brand new gp4000s tyre today with a piece of glass. It has left a split about 4 mm in the tyre! Can I patch it from the inside? Glue the split with puncture repair vulcanising glue?
    Has anyone ever done either and was the result sucsessful?
    Thanks Diz

andy7t2
    Free Member

only if you like playing Russian roulette.
    Don’t be so tight and get a new one

landcruiser
    Free Member

Bad luck…

You probably can fix it, however I doubt anyone is going to actually recommend you do so.

brakes
    Free Member

where’s the cut? on the top, or in the sidewall? if on the top did it go through the carcass?
    if it’s a sidewall I’d bin it, if it’s the top I’d try patching and glueing it and just keep an eye on it.

diz

Its on top but after taking a second look at it, im going to get a new one tomorrow.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve got a tubeless tyre and its worked same size and location but a MudX. Would be safer with a tube pressing against it. Only done it as I’m tight, given speeds on a road bike I’d be inclined for a new tyre. If you do patch it then use vulcanising solution but instead of a path use a bit of sidewall rather than a rubber patch.

jonba
    Free Member

Your looking at the difference between mountain bike pressures and speed and road pressures and speed.

You will be fine patching a tubeless tyre. Maybe stitch it with some dental floss, nylon thread or fishing line if it is bad but otherwise just patch with a big standard inner tube patch on the inside. I’ve been running a tyre with a 8mm cut clean through like this for around 6 months as the tyre was new when damaged.

However, running 100psi and regularly going over 40mph means I’d buy anew tyre for the road bike unless it was purely superficial in the very outer layer of the main carcass of the tyre.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cut in tyre’ is closed to new replies.