Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cut Gate/Langsett question
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m planning to ride from Ladybower over to Langsett and back via the Cut Gate trail.

I’ve done it before doing the same trail out and back (turning round at Upper Midhope), but this time want to make more of a loop.

I’ve downloaded a GPX which suggests a clockwise loop around Langsett reservoir. On the descent down, you reach Mickleden Edge (where the trail splits in two), you keep left and carry straight on over Hingcliff Common and down to Crooklands Wood. But from there, the GPX trace suggests heading up to the main road (A616), turning right and then right again to cross the dam.

I don’t really want to go on the road as it’s a bit busy/dangerous. My question is: is there an offroad alternative that goes round the top of the reservoir, or do I really need to take the road section ?

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

yep, there’s a bridleway / all use track that wiggles about as a nice family walk type route that takes you back to the dam. No need to go on the road.

You do realise cutgate for the most part will be a push through slop and bog though?

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

And I’d personally go anti clockwise around the res as the easterly trail up to the split is a horrible wet and sloppy climb. Or, go back up to the split the way to descended – at least that bit of trails you can ride in both directions!

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s much appreciated 🙂

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

There’s some big chunks that are unrideable on the top and more traffic will make if worse.

Please don’t ride it this time of year.

BadlyWiredDog

Just wait for it to freeze, if you’re flexible with timings. Brilliant when properly sub zero.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate/Langsett question’ is closed to new replies.