Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Custom maps on my Garmin GPS
  • Beagleboy

Hey folks,

Last night I discovered that I can take a photo (I don't have a scanner), of an OS explorer map, overlay it on Google World then save it to my Garmin Oregon as a custom map. This works perfectly, to the point that my tracklog from Saturday's ride up Dumyat in Stirlingshire matches the custom map's summit!. I'm quite chuffed with this, but not totally as the resolution of the map is a bit blurry / naff.

Next, I tried capturing a screen shot from Multimap of the same area, overlaid it again and hey presto, it was a bit better. The resolution's still nowhere near as good as the OS maps that came with the unit on microSD card (OS Discoverer GB National Parks), though.

So I was wondering if you lot had any ideas? Is it simply a case of finding the optimal zoom? Or breaking each area up into lots of little cells?…..which might work, although could be time consuming…hmmmm 8)

Has anyone else had a go at this with good results? The accuracy seems great, I just want to optimise the clarity of the maps.

Cheers for any advice,

B. 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member
    paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Would this work on an Edge, or is it just the Oregons?

Beagleboy

Hi Paul,

I think it might just be the newer Oregon / Colorado's that support something called 'raster mapping',as far as I can see. 🙂

Beagleboy

Oh my, I think I owe you a pint Pedalhead, thanks for the link! 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Great, isn't it 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Custom maps on my Garmin GPS’ is closed to new replies.