Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Custom headtube on old frame??
  • passtherizla
    Free Member

Does anyone know if it’s possible to swap a head tube on my old xs bfe??

Obviously this involves cutting the old one out and welding a new 44mm one in.

But can it be done and is there a company that does this type of thing?

Ta.

RustyMac

I would expect it to be perfectly possible however prohibitively expensive especially when you factor in a re-spray and the likes.

Ben cooper fixed a soulcraft bike that had a snapped head tube not all that long ago I probably try there first.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ah ok, not too bothered about respraying it that well.

Might just sell and buy something that I can buy a fork for.

bencooper
    Free Member

Definitely do-able. The usual way is to remove the old HT completely, and mitre the tubes to fit a new one in the jig. It’s reasonably involved.

Another way I tried on a hack bike for Carl @ Bike Love is to chop off most of the HT but leave the bit joining the TT and DT, and fillet on the new HT. Looks pretty cool actually 😉

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ah thanks for the info Ben, How much would something like the second scenario likely cost me? And would it be ok as a dirt jump bike after?

bencooper
    Free Member

£50 not counting painting.

The thing to be aware of with that technique is the HT doesn’t end upn the same place, it’s about 5mm forwards – and if it’s tapered you’ll have a slacker head angle. That can be a good thing of course 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Untitled by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

passtherizla
    Free Member

Hmmmm well worth considering then! Could do with being as slack as it is now with a 110mm fork but with a 80mm fork.

Excellent. Thanks so much Ben! £50 sounds entirely reasonable.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Custom headtube on old frame??’ is closed to new replies.