Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Custom air shock length?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Is it possible to have a 200×57 shock reduced down to 198×55? The reason I’m asking is that I’m considering a Mega TR, getting rid of the shock and installing offset bushings the wrong way round and then swapping in a 198×55 rp23. Should give 145ish mm of travel, assuming the tyres don’t contact the seatpost. Then I’m going to fit 150mm Pikes out front with a custom 1 degree angleset from works components, to give me roughly the same geometry as my sorely missed Mega in a package with a bit less travel and 1lb less weight.

Figure if know one builds the bike I wan’t, I’m going to bodge it.

Also, will I die a firey death?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You want to reduce the length then put in offset bushings to lengthen it?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Reduce the shock length then put in offset bushings so the frame can accept the longer shock. The max increase in shock length offset bushings can accomorate is about 8mm, so unfortunately I couldnt fit a 200×57 shock without increasing the bb height. Then Id have the shock tuned so the suspension kinematics arent to screwed up.

tomhoward

I’ve stared at this pages for 5 mins now, and can’t for the life of me work out what you are trying to achieve. Sounds like a one way ticket to disappointmentville.

Figure if no one builds the bike I want…

(ftfy) …There’s probably a reason.

legend
    Free Member

What size is the standard shock? Just to give an idea of what you’re up to

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Woops…190×50. For the others, offset bushings give me an extra 8mm to increase the shock length…so I figured I could modify a 200×57 shock so that it measured 198×55.

Sorry for rambling, think I’m having a manic day lol.

legend
    Free Member

Is there 8mm extra room in the frame? And the offset bushes will naturally turn round the other way won’t they?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Kind of hoped the longer shock would keep them from turning round….Ive had a quick look at one in the shop….an 8mm longer shock should fit….depends whether the wheels hit the seat tube on full compression.

Cheers legend. 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I think I get what you want to do but as the tr has 130 travel is the extra 15mm & bodge worth it?

jsync

Isn’t the 200×57 the same as the 200×51 but with a spacer? Worth looking at and fudging?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah trying to work out whether its worth it, maybe I should ring Flukes or the suspension guy on here (I forget his name).

A custom Nicolai would be perfect but they cost a fortune and they look gank, they make nukeproofs look pretty.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I think the solution here might be to buy a good condition used Mega mk1 frame and use the money you’ve saved for component upgrades to save the 1lb that seems to be the issue for which you’re prepared to go a bit bonkers.

It’s guaranteed to ride exactly how you want it and you’ll gain 5mm extra travel into the bargain…

I would like to end this saying I have one for sale, but unfortunately, my motives are simply to save you from masses of work and every likelihood of disappointment even if you do bodge it together.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nahh, I like bodging things…I think I will buy the frame regardless…I just wanted to hear a few thoughts on this! 🙂 130mm rear, 150mm front and a 66 degree head angle will be close to perfect for me.

I need a complete bike as I sold my old one before I got a grad job and figured I’d go 650b for no other reason than future-proofing my purchase a bit. The AM seems a bit to much with 160mm vs the 152mm travel of the mk1 when combined with it’s heavier 27.5 wheels. It’s verging on being an old school freeride bike.

Thanks again for the advice! 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

In a word yes it’s doable, but isn’t going to be that cheap and the offset bushes make rotate and cause issues, sounds like even with Angleset and offsets you’ll lift the bb though and may make it handle rather strangely.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Cheers loco :-), I guess it would cost a fortune to modify the shock link or have a new one CNC’d with a different shock position/leverage ratio…

Might have to try a Bronson…the geometry is a bit too short though.

maxtorque

I suspect you need to check if the tyre hits the seatpost BEFORE spending any money on this one!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

130mm rear, 150mm front and a 66 degree head angle will be close to perfect for me.

Ah another bike by numbers post, send the bike to me and I will do you a geo chart that tells you the numbers are what you want and then you will be happy. Postage and service costs only 500 quid and you can have some free magic beans 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Mike, there are very few bikes I’ve ever been as happy with as my previous bike. I’ve ridden enough of them to know what I like when I see the numbers. 😛 But yeah cheers 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve ridden enough of them to know what I like when I see the numbers

and I’ve ridden plenty that don’t make sense compared to the numbers 🙂

legend
    Free Member

The AM seems a bit to much with 160mm vs the 152mm travel of the mk1 when combined with it’s heavier 27.5 wheels. It’s verging on being an old school freeride bike.

Get the AM and limit the travel?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Custom air shock length?’ is closed to new replies.