Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Curved TVs – Good or Gimmick?
  • ready

Sorry if it’s already been discussed, but are curved screen tvs worth it? Or should I stick with a similarly priced flat screen because it’s a just a bit of a marketing gimmick? (Hello 3D)

devash
    Free Member

Its not necessarily a gimmick but its not for everyone / every living room. You ideally have to view them from a specific distance and dead centre to get the immersion effect, but when set up properly and viewed from the right angle it is fairly impressive.

Its a bit like having your own iMax cinema when set up properly. So definitely one for the cinephiles to check out, but for regular viewing in a typical family home I’d go flat screen.

4K / UHD is a different matter though. We’ve just bought a new TV and stuck with standard 1080p because 4K seemed excessive for us at the moment but unlike 3D / curved, 4K is slowly establishing itself and it might be worth futureproofing yourself.

Drac
    CountZero

A curved one will be a bugger to hang on a wall…
    As devash says, it has a viewing hotspot, so a flat panel is far betterer for general viewing in a regular room.

siwhite
    Free Member

They are more expensive and thicker than a flat TV – I saved about £70 (and gained three inches – wahey!) by not buying a curved Samsung recently – same spec etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Curved TVs – Good or Gimmick?’ is closed to new replies.