Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Curry in London?
  • Pigface
    Free Member

German friend in London this weekend wants a curry, any recommended?

Found brick lane really disappointing, a while back.

Pretty clueless so over to you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Big old place, That London.

Whereabouts are they staying?

Pigface
    Free Member

Yeah I know, pretty central as doing the tourist thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kilo

Tayabs round the back of Whitechapel mosque used to be good, not been there for a while though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, I’ll recommend my old local, then! Nothing glamorous, just a lovely curry house with great food and excellent service.

Paradise, Denbigh Street, SW1.

Memories of India, Gloucester Rd, SW7. Haven’t been for a year or so, but was good then.
    Chutney Mary. An institution, but a good one!
    Cinnamon Club. Expensive, but some occasional moments of utter amazement on the menu.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I had a decent Thali a couple of weeks ago, in an Indian restaurant right next door to Ronnie Scott’s in Soho. Not sure what the place was called.

Pigface
    Free Member

Passed that on thanks Flashheart

dpfr

Another vote for the Cinnamon Club here- not at all your normal curry house

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had a decent Thali a couple of weeks ago, in an Indian restaurant right next door to Ronnie Scott’s in Soho. Not sure what the place was called.

Delhi Brasserie.

Again, not been for well over a year, but was good!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Head to Drummond Street. Much better than birck lane. Near Euston Square

timmys

Tayyabs. Accept no other.

allyharp

For something a bit different Dishoom is good, and there are loads of branches.
    And along similar lines there’s Gunpower near Spitalfields, though that is very small.
    Or if you happen to be staying in the South West I’m a big fan of Vijaya Krishna in Tooting.

benp1

Depends on budget

Dishoom, Dum Biryani, Hoppers, Trishna

I’ve always a good curry at Masala Zone too

slowoldman

Head to Drummond Street. Much better than birck lane. Near Euston Square

Yes donkeys years since I’ve been but I remember that street fondly. Might be totally different now.

njee20
    Free Member

I thought Tayyabs was alright, but no better. Had a better curry at the Rajasthan 2 near Aldgate, which was a random post work find!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Amaya in Belgravia is oustanding, expensive though

Cinamon Club is very good. Taramind I have enjoyed although not been for years.

I am a fan of Brick Lane but it seems you are not OP, you said “curry” Cinamon Club etc are high quality Indian restuarants not curry houses.

smell_it
    Free Member

I have a flat up near Angel, and have always enjoyed the totally fuss free Angela Curry Centre. If you want cheap, cheerful and a bit quiet, it’s grand. But I have recently had my head turned by the Delhi Grill. Directly across you can get some fine ale at the Alma.

nickb

If near Paddington/Marble Arch/Lancaster Gate, then try my old local, the Noorjahan II in Sussex Place. Great boozer across the road too (The Victoria).

mahalo

Clicked this thread to quickly type ‘Tayabbs’ but I see it has already been mentioned a few times! BYO

mahalo

Dishoom is a fancy night out too

aP
    Free Member

We found Cinnamon Club to be almost ridiculously sweet and sickly, Benares on the other hand has never failed to impress and be enjoyed.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Veeraswamy just off regent street – expensive but excellent

theotherjonv

+1 for Tamarind, but as others have said it’s so much more than ‘curry’

plumber
    Free Member

Drummond Street is nice no doubt but I recommend Roti King on the other side of Euston Sq

40 Doric Way, Kings Cross, London NW1 1LH

Theres often a queue, theres a reason for that………..

dickster
    Free Member

Another vote for Tayyabs if cheap is the key, or Darbaar (back of Liverpool Street station) for a bit more spendy. The rabbit leg curry is wonderful. I think the chef started the Cinnamon Club but then went solo.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Thing with Brick Lane is not falling for the first decent sounding offer and walk on by to check them all out. It’s hard to judge what’s going to be a good place though.

I’ve not been that often so can’t recommend anything, or remember what places I’ve been in, but they’ve been pretty decent from what I remember. Nothing outstanding (whereas recently, best curry place I’ve ever been in was in Biggar up in Scotland. Bit far to go though 😉 )

nathb
    Free Member

Dishoom for something a little different.

Masala Zone for your standard curries.

wynne
    Free Member

Chor Bizaare on Albemarle St was always my favourite for a splash up Indian.

Drummond Street also very good.

markoc1984

Mint Leaf just off Pall Mall, expensive but was the only Indian restaurant an Indian guy I used to work with would eat at because it was so good.

Also +1 for Tayabbs but bring your own beer.

jimdubleyou

We have quite a few folk at work who live in / are from India. When they come over to visit, they go here at least once a week:

https://goo.gl/maps/AV5QsgPuBLm
    https://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/lahore-kebab-house

Bit far from central, but worth it apparently.

If you’re not straying from zone 1, this place was amazing the last time I went, but that was a while ago – http://www.veeraswamy.com/

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

God I miss London (and am hungry).

Apollo Banana Leaf the last time I had a curry in London was amazing.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Curry in London?’ is closed to new replies.