Current in vogue phrases and what they really mean.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Current in vogue phrases and what they really mean.
  • Premier Icon bazhall
    Subscriber

The company i work for has Sector Directors, not a clue what they do but sound like they should be in some SciFi or war film .

TurnerGuy

Anybody not convinced by the ideas behind agile should go back to the 90s and try using something like SSADM and see where that gets you.

If you read the books by the guys that came up with the ideas, like the XP book, Jim Copliens book, etc, it is evident that these are people that were actually ‘at the software coal-face’ and determined what methods were actually working and delivering.

The famous line is that a good software developer is a lazy developer, they don’t like doing wasted/redundent work. The methodologies involved in agile/XP are formed from this view.

For instance the two week delivery schedule.

Classically a project starts and everyone is working normally on it, in the usual over-optimistic manner of software developers.

Then the deadline approaches and everyone starts to panic as they realise they have underestimated and start to work long hours and take short cuts, and probably write more defects.

Then that deadline passes and everyone relaxes and tries to recover, but then the next deadline approaches and then the panic starts again…

And repeat, over and over again.

The two week delivery window is designed to keep everyone at a constant level of ‘panic’, and because the window is only 2 weeks the consequences of the under-estimation are more easily recovered from.

User story points are used to estimate the amount of effort a development ticket will take, rather than time, because developers are shit at estimating, but they can probably remember the last few tickets they developed and can compare the complexity of this ticket to that one.

After a few sprints they know roughly how many points the team can get through in a 2 week cycle – known as the velocity – and so the future workload based on the backlog can be estimated.

A velocity burndown chart can be used to monitor the teams progress through the 2 week cycle and used for both motivation and tracking.

Story points use the finonacci sequence to encapsulate the fact that the more complex an item of work is the more likely it is that the estimate is unreliable – and so encourage the breaking down of larger pieces of work into more manageable bits that can fit in the 2 week cycle.

Test driven ensures that you write the system to accomodate automated testing from the start, as developers are lazy and don’t like manual testing – but they like writing code and they can therefore write clever testing code instead.

Constant deliveries also means that the users will get what they want – which unbelievably is what the developers actually would like to deliver, rather than just being jobsworths who have delivered what was on the spec.

So it is based on pragmatic methods – I can’t really see the sense in anyone with any experience wanting to go back to waterfall – but there seems to be more ‘clickbait’ articles on the internet proclaiming this is the way to go.

The key thing with an agile project is that you MUST commit to an automated testing framework from the start, not take shortcuts to deliver stuff that isn’t covered by this framework, and have QA closely collaborate with the developers rather than follow behind writing the tests.

If the client is external and won’t look at the deliverable regularly then you have to take QA or your business analysts to take on that role internally.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I wonder if Poopscoop envisioned this becoming the most boring thread to ever grace the pages of STW or is it just a fluke that this is how it has turned out?

yiman

Find a nice square peg which fits nicely into that custom hole used in one sector and then use the biggest sledgehammer you can find to smash it into the round hole of every other sector.

Yep. This is the problem, not an agile approach to elaborating, prototyping and changing requirements.

People who have never run a project in their lives listening to consultants who have “done Agile” elsewhere and deciding that it’s the panacea for everything so we’ll base the entire organisation around it. How do I deliver customer value in a 2 week sprint when the end product needs six separate workstream deliverables, taking six weeks each to contract, resource and deploy, from six different suppliers to join together?

aP

It’s quite interesting to see IT people dismiss every other industry that does stuff.
    Tail wagging the dog. And most of the time not wagging it it either.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

What you sayin’ bruv?

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

funkmasterp

Subscriber
    I wonder if Poopscoop envisioned this becoming the most boring thread to ever grace the pages of STW or is it just a fluke that this is how it has turned out?

Well, it had turned out different to how I thought it might but that’s ok, this is stw after all.

I’ve read all the thread but only understand about 30% of it though.😁

B.A.Nana

I feel embarrassed at 5 posts in completely derailing a thread that otherwise might have been amusing (altho it has been done 100 times before on STW). At least TurnerGuy ^ gets his moment of glory, I read the first couple of sentences.

Premier Icon lcj
    Subscriber

Deliverables
    Flexagility
    Functionality
    Leveraging synergeies
    Capitalising internal markets

All of this and more within what was an old school, traditional law firm FFS

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Flexagility
    I’m so using that 🙂

richardk

Have you lot not been ‘bringing your best selves’ to work recently?

No.

I’ve been wearing my game face before reaching out with some flow down.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Deliverables
    Flexagility
    Functionality
    Leveraging synergeies
    Capitalising internal markets

That’s the worst acronym ever – FFLC

The ironing in this thread is strong. WTaF are you all on about?

That’s the only post I’ve understood.

I’ve decided that every single person in this thread babbling on about Agile Scrums and Golden Waterfalls as if they actually think their Emperors New Clothes bullshit is fooling anybody is exactly the kind of person every site ops department relishes buggering off home at the end of the day so they can just leave them alone to do get some actual **** work done. If you came into our department with that pish you would get absolutely torn in two.

In the spirit of the thread title can any one of you, in plain English, explain what any of this nonsense actually means?

And this is why we are absolutely screwed as a species. Rather than tackle things with straight talk we feel the need to go around the houses talking shite.

Amen.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

It’s quite interesting to see IT people dismiss every other industry that does stuff.

Who did that? If you interpreted my comments that way they werent. It was simply what works for industry x doesnt necessarily transfer to industry y. Or, in many cases, even within industry x.

In the spirit of the thread title can any one of you, in plain English, explain what any of this nonsense actually means?

You should probably read TurnerGuy’s post, as he already did that.

At the risk of repeating, the “Agile” thing is just a set of guidelines on a lightweight, fairly hands-off approach to organising a handful of teams. It works for product development very well. Perhaps it works for other businesses, but as it was hammered out in the nascent software engineering industry, that will always be the “best fit”.

I do it, because I can’t be varsed with any heavier or clunkier team organising tactics or methods.

Like almost everything, it has become surrounded by mythology, mysticism, religion, stupid catchphrases, and sharks offering training in all of the above fluff and little of the real meat.

You should probably read TurnerGuy’s post, as he already did that.

He described what Agile is in great detail, but I’m still in the dark as to Golden Waterfalls and Scrumbags.

It could have been easier described as “a project management system that splits work into 2 week blocks and the results used to forecast workload”. But then that wouldn’t span multiple paragraphs and hundreds of words which people get bored of reading. Why use a simple description when you can give an entire presentation? This is why people get so hostile towards all this talk and the people that spout it, it seems like it’s deliberately designed to sound as complicated as possible so the people who are tasked with deploying it can justify themselves by obfustication.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.