Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Current hope and Castleton trail conditions?
  • julians
    Free Member

Anyone been out round hope and Castleton today? How are the trails, icy deathtrap, or OK?

joat

Not been there specifically, Longshaw isn’t far away though. Anything that was walked on yesterday was a skating rink today. And anywhere which is popular is being walked on currently. There were a few bikes out today on and off road, and for once I wasn’t envious in the slightest. With a freeze forecast for tonight it will be worse tomorrow. Have you any ice spikes?

julians
    Free Member

Ta, not what I wanted to hear, but kind of what I expected to hear

Richie_B

Wet snow rapidly turning into mud with patches of icy snow. Probably wouldn’t be going down cave dale today.
    Tomorrow we’re all Tier 4 so there will be pensioners out with pitch forks

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Apologies for asking [ a slight variation on ] the same stupid question that been asked for the last nine months, but…

Am I right in saying we’re allowed to drive 20km to ride in the Peak under the T4 lockdown?

julians
    Free Member

Am I right in saying we’re allowed to drive 20km to ride in the Peak under the T4 lockdown?

I think as long as you’re not entering a tier 4 areas from a less than tier 4 area, or leaving a tier 4 area to go into a less than tier 4 area, then it is OK.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m working on the basis that muddy/ snowy wet sections will tomorrow be a rock solid jaggedy tractiontastic frozen awesomeness…

No?

( Still wouldn’t try Cavedale though)

thepodge
    Free Member

Drive 20km / tier 4 stay at home… Seems legit.

julians
    Free Member

I was fancying cavedale tomorrow, but having second thoughts because of the icyness, not the tier 4 thing, because I wouldn’t be leaving or entering a tier 4 area.

Tracey

Just been reading it, we are still in 3
    Government website says should not

Travelling to a Tier 4 area from a Tier 1, 2 or 3 area
    You should not travel into a Tier 4 area from another part of the UK, other than for reasons such as:

travel to work where you cannot work from home
    travel to education and for caring responsibilities
    to visit (including staying overnight with) those in your support bubble – or your childcare bubble for childcare
    to attend hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
    to provide emergency assistance, and to avoid injury or illness, or to escape a risk of harm (such as domestic abuse)

Just re planning tomorrow’s ride

If you are in Tier 4

outdoor recreation or exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your Tier 4 area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

eyestwice
    Free Member

You may as well come to the Peak District from wherever you are and whichever tier.

Everyone else does.

cb200
    Free Member

Was there yesterday. The ride out was in virginal crisp snow, but by lunchtime it was quickly melting, with streams of meltwater running down the trails. Looking at the overnight temperatures, you’ll have a choice between lines of jagged ice or sheet ice.

tuboflard

Cave Dale is pretty much the last thing I’d want to be riding in the next few days. Been round Totley and Blacka Moor today and the main paths are all compacted snow and ice, either as refrozen chunky mud, or sheet ice. Glad I was running and not on the bike.

msjhes2
    Free Member

I was out this morning. It was fine, tops frozen but no smooth ice so no real grip issues. As soon as you dropped down a little it was usual winter slop. Rode brinks, beast, Narnia, SB climb.

Mister-P
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home

If you fell off your bike and had to be dealt with by the emergency services, could you justify to them you travelling 20km to start your ride?

eyestwice
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be leaving or entering a tier 4 area

Outdoor recreation or exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your Tier 4 area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

Emphasis mine.

Superficial
    Free Member

I went over Stanage yesterday – it was cold but beautiful. Had the best ride in ages. No horrid slop just nice crispy icy mud and snow. The plantation steps were sheet ice which was, er, interesting. I imagine Cavedale will be similar unless it’s been significantly above 0.

Anything that wasn’t frozen was a boggy mess though. I’m not really enjoying the conditions after all this rain.

The point about Covid is valid, though. I’d say at least for the Tier 4 Peak, the old “No car, No Gnar, Not far” rules probably apply. And the risk of crashing is exponentially greater when it’s icy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Current hope and Castleton trail conditions?’ is closed to new replies.