Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Current Garmin Edge 500 Equivalent
  • Freester

My Garmin Edge 500 is beginning to give up the ghost. I’ve had it at least 9 years I don’t think it owes me any money. I’ve been a bit out of the game wrt GPS devices and just wondering what the current equivalent is?

Uses:
    Tracking road and MTB rides – syncing to Strava
    I’ve got ANT+ HRM, Speed and Cadence Sensors attached
    Download programmed workouts for indoor trainers (usually time / HR / cadence type targets for a specific period)
    Mapping not so important I’ve used Breadcrumb and Cue points from Ride with GPS for years on the 500.

I ‘think’ the Edge 130+ does all this?

530+ has all of this as well as mapping?

I took a look at the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt but what put me off is the inability to manually programme workouts like I’ve done in Garmin connect – you could only download preset workouts from Training Peaks?

Freester

Too late to edit but got my numbers mixed up. Been looking / comparing 130+ and 520+ doh.

oikeith

I have a normal 130 which has awful battery life, not sure if this was resolved on the 130 plus.

I am looking at changing it at the moment and was looking either 520plus or 530, haven’t quite decided yet!

mikertroid
    Free Member

My 530 has excellent battery life…best part of 20h

Freester

I was surprised looking it appears 130+ 12 hours, 520+ 15 hours, 530 up to 20 hours. 130 quoted as 15 so who knows?!

euain

530 here – I’d recommend it based on battery life alone. It’s a huge improvement over the 500 I had before.

I am pretty sure it does all the stuff you’re asking for. I know mine tried to take over my trainer once when I let it connect, so suspect it’d do that. I don’t use it though as I’m almost always using Zwift.

Mapping/navigation is limited especially as you are missing a touch screen. If you wanted to be able to interact with the maps meaningfully, the 830 might be better. It doesn’t sound like this is something you’re looking for though.

Freester

Thanks! I must admit the only connectivity my trainer has is a brake cable that connects to the handlebars that you can manually adjust the resistance (rofl)

gray

I have a 500, a 520 and an 820. Battery life was a fair way short of Garmin’s claims from new, but a couple of years on is terrible. This is actually my second 820, and now I’m lucky to get 4 or 5 hours out of it, especially if it’s chilly. People seem to be getting much better results with 530/830, so if you want one to last for long rides (and to stick with it for a few years) then I’d definitely recommend a 530 on that basis alone.

b33k34

I was surprised looking it appears 130+ 12 hours, 520+ 15 hours, 530 up to 20 hours. 130 quoted as 15 so who knows?!

Yes – beware. the 130+ adds some extra features which drain more power but they used the same battery so it is actually WORSE than the 130.

130 battery life is ok but could be better and *other than that* it’s a great unit. Very clear B&W display is much more readable than colour screens in most light. 530 is meant to have a significantly better battery than the 520.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I went to a 530 after my 800 began playing up. I’m also a happy 500 user. Pleased so far. Turn the display brightness down. Doesn’t have faffy touchscreen nonsense like the 830. Battery is good, display is simple to set up like the 500. Only things I don’t get are the optional mountain/gravel/cyclocross modes when road covers all the basics.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Can you charge the 130/130+ on the go via a dynamo hub or a battery pack?)

I am looking for a cheapish unit to use for Audax rides.

Freester

Thanks all. Also an Audaxer so long battery life important for me no OTG charging capability. Looks like STW have taken my requirement and upped the spend as usual.

growmac

I have an 830 and the battery life is really, really good. The 530 is the same but without the touchscreen – entirely a good thing as the touchscreen is a pain. Would recommend.

sharkattack

Just saying, but if anyone near Sheffield wants a brand spanking 1030 Plus at a reduced price I’ve got one that’s never left the house. It turns out it’ll take more than a fancy gadget to motivate my to ride my bike again!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Current Garmin Edge 500 Equivalent’ is closed to new replies.