Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Current Fork of choice on 27.5 trail?
  • weeksy

Thinking of a minor change to my lads bike which is a Liv Embolden 27.5. so my Whyte T130 has revelation RL 130s fitted, he’s got some RockShox 30 Gold TK Solo Air, 120mm in his.

So my thoughts are a joint upgrade. He gets mine and I get, well, something else..

I’m ok with new or used. I’m ok with Boost too as my Pro4s will be fine and he can then have 15mm axle along with my t130 wheel.

Ideally £400 budget

argee

Pikes if you can find the right set for your budget, a few deals around, but limitations on colour and travel, failing that some Yari’s, again, good deals going round.

Tracey

What length steerer and travel are you looking for

weeksy

130mm travel, steerer I’d have to check. I think 180-185 min

argee

Aren’t the T130s set up for a 140 front?

martinhutch

Decent forks from the big brands are silly money at the moment – I picked up some Fox Performance Elite Fit4 for a few hundred on a special offer earlier this year, but I can’t see anything similar out there at the moment.

The other option is Xfusion Sweep HLR which seem to pop up now and again for around 250, or Manitou Mattoc Pros for similar amounts. Both are great forks.

chiefgrooveguru

As there’s a bit of a shift from 27.5 to 29 going on there’s a slightly better chance of getting good secondhand forks at a decent price. I sold some Pikes on eBay earlier this year and whoever got them got a bargain!

joebristol

X Fusion Sweeps with roughcut damper can be picked up at Planet X quite often for £250-£350 – I honk they’re internally adjustable between 140-160mm as I thought about getting them for my current hardtail. At the time the black ones were £350 though so I bought some secondhand Pikes and popped in a 140mm 2019 debonair air shaft all for under £300.

Yaris would also be ok – a stiffer / heavier chassis than the above 2 forks – but a less good damper (although at least the same as it maybe a bit bette than your Revs).

Tracey

Got some 150 Pikes RTC3 (I think) that were taken of a S Works Stumpjumper that have had one weeks use. Would need to check steerer length if you are interested, also got the Carbon Rovals that came with it.

martinhutch

I honk they’re internally adjustable between 140-160mm

You can adjust them between 100-160 at 20mm increments, IIRC. You can use a 10mm spacer to adjust 140 to 130.

jimmy748

I’ve a set of 34 FIT4’s with 130,140 & 150mm airsprings sat in the shed. 185mm steerer

ampthill

What year is the t130? I thought that they had some magic fork offset?

https://whyte.bike/products/t130s

Ps clueless arm armchair pundit with no real clue

weeksy

2016. It’s an excellent point mate as even reading the spec sheets I couldn’t find out the offset. I’d rather not screw up the handling if possible

simon_g

Mattoc if I’m reading correctly and non-boost is OK, and your frame will do 140mm travel. Easy job to adjust travel. Love mine.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I believe the older t-130 was 130 front and rear with the standard offset which would have been 42mm on the Revelation. The new one upped the front to 140mm with a 37mm offset.

PJay
    Free Member

CRC have 120mm Boost Mattocs at £190.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Brink have ex display boost  36’s for 400 ish , and some lyrics

https://brink.uk/fox-36-ex-display-1  can drop the travel

https://brink.uk/rockshox-lyrik-ex-display

reedspeed
    Free Member

Tracey

Subscriber

Got some 150 Pikes RTC3 (I think) that were taken of a S Works Stumpjumper that have had one weeks use. Would need to check steerer length if you are interested, also got the Carbon Rovals that came with it.

I may be interested in the|Pikes Tracey , if Weeksy isn’t bothered, my emails in my profile, feel free to drop me a line !

weeksy

Timmy, thanks for that. That’s most helpful as my lads Liv seems to be 42mm offset too according to the sticker on the forks.

Tracey, i think 150 is going a little too far really, i’d maybe go 140 but happier at 130 really to keep as close as possible to standard, but better 🙂

Happily i’ve just checked my lads and he’s got tapered steerer too which i forgot to check earlier… So if i choose to swap then it’s all fairly simple. Well, once i’ve bought some

chiefgrooveguru

“Tracey, i think 150 is going a little too far really, i’d maybe go 140 but happier at 130 really to keep as close as possible to standard, but better 🙂“

All Pikes can have their travel changed with a different air spring. Not expensive and you can update to the newer spring (which has a more coil-like curve) at the same time.

weeksy

Starting to get a bit excessive then really ? both in ability of rider and cost of work.

joebristol

Just to add a Pike debonair 2019 airspring is £42 and a fairly easy job to change – I’ve done two now – one on my Yari/Lyrik and one on my Pike.

weeksy

Ping*

transition1
    Free Member

140mm BOS Deville is good 27.5 fork. If happy to service your own forks. Some are 37mm offset

weeksy

Won the fox 34 elite for what I think was an excellent price. Just need to find my boost kit for the hope wheels until I order end caps etc. Top day

weeksy

Found the boost spacer kit, think i’ll go with the 5mm spacers rather than the Hope kit which moves it 10mm and then needs a 5mm re-dish.

Was bored at home so whipped out the forks from the Whyte T130 and put them into my lads bike, making sure he was watching/learning at the same time. I doubt he could swap a set himself yet, but he’s now got a small grasp.

Set the pressures for him to about what’s right, but once i get my Shockwiz back next week we’ll go out and do a few sessions to get them right. Curious as to whether he’ll notice a difference coming from the more basic forks, to a more advanced version, along with the extra travel. I doubt he’ll notice going from 9mm QR to a 15mm axle, but you never know, it may just feel a bit nicer overall because of that too.

You’ll notice in the pics he gets my Hope Pro4 front wheel, but that’s only until tomorrow, tomorrow he gets the Whyte wheel instead.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h8QSTa]2019-09-01_02-45-32[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h8Q8nG]2019-09-01_02-45-43[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h8Q8AT]2019-09-01_02-45-52[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h8Q8Qv]2019-09-01_02-46-04[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

martinhutch

Won the fox 34 elite for what I think was an excellent price.

That is a good price. Excellent forks, better IMO than the Xfusion roughcut I was using before.

weeksy

Bit of a request for help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Suspension-34-Float-Performance-Elite-27-5-130MM-27-5-BLACK-BLUE-DECALS-/163836477199?hash=item26256a3f0f%3Ag%3AQTIAAOSwPERdURax&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=YlMKZgArEp9%252BagGfTfpF1CEvwLI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I guess my question is regarding “what are they” but more along the lines of, “for suspension setup on the Shockwiz, do i have both high and low speed compression/rebound? or Just low speed ?”

Ideally a link to a manual would help 🙂

Fox-Suspension-34-Float-Performance-Elite-27-5-130MM-27-5

Code DBMF

From Fox website i’m thinking 2018 and low speed only.

martinhutch

Low speed only plus rebound and 3-pos lockout. The LS adjust is only relevant when you are in fully open mode on the lockout.

Manuals with recommended initial settings are on the website.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=821

weeksy

Cheers. All good then.

Just waiting for them, they’re dye noooooow

weeksy

Forks are installed and look very very pretty, used the 5mm spacer kit and admittedly it’s a bit fiddly but no hardship.

Brakes aligned and all tested ok. Sadly due to ongoing issues I’m off the bike until Friday, so even though I’ve put the shockwiz on and configured it I can’t actually give it a decent tester until then.

2019-09-04_03-24-18 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode
    H8216, undefined@4.4 mm, f2.0, 1/20s, ISO200

2019-09-04_03-24-33 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode

2019-09-04_03-25-05 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Current Fork of choice on 27.5 trail?’ is closed to new replies.